Skip to content

Grrrr-arrrrgh

Just going on record to say I hate hate hate hate Aec'Letec... Following a few different strategies found on here and still cant beat him... Doesnt help that my stupid characters will randomly run towards him and get stared to death... I know eventually he will die horribly, but I feel obligated to bitch about it for now...

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    potions of invulnerability and potion of magic blocking ( whatever the yellow one is that gives you a +20 bonus on all saves) those should help out tremendously
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2014
    Honestly for that battle I just use every potion and buff I have that will help (potion of mirror eyes, etc).

That includes stocking up on potions/scrolls from High Hedge/Sorcerous Sundries.
  • ValferysValferys Member Posts: 47
    ya im thinking im going to have to do a bit of shopping, do a few other things and then come back... anyone know if there is a timer for getting the quest done? i doubt there is, but one never knows...
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Oh, hey, someone asking questions about a boss I have down to a science. Okay, beating Aec'Latec the easy way requires three things: a pair of potions of magic projection (or substitute one potion of magic shielding and some healing potions), boots of speed (or substitute a potion of speed), and any magical ranged weapon. Dump all that on a warrior, drink the antimagic potions, send them down alone, and kite like your life depends on it (it does). Kill the mage first, then the guards, then Aec'Latec. You shouldn't ever take damage unless you use the potion of magic shielding substitution, and even then you'll take it slowly. If your ranged weapon of choice isn't the returning throwing axe, it's probably best not to waste magic ammo on the guards.

If you have a good archer who can also use wands of fire, the scorcher function can expedite the guard-killing stage of the battle immensely. It's not at all necessary, though.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    edited December 2014
    My strategy for last 2 times:
    - put all Wands of Fire on character that can use them
    - make that character fast - Boots of Speed, Haste, Potions of Speed
    - run with that char only downstairs
    - quickly move to back wall
    - use wands from afar to kill stupid demon followers (or use regular spells, but that fight is usually one of my last and I have more than enough wands)
    - go back up, buff up
    - go down with tank first (preferably super buffed v magic) and have them engage the demon
    - run down with rest of team
    - kill any reaming followers (if none, proceed to next step)
    - hack demon to pieces =D

EDIT
    Alternate version of this strategy is to use bow-user with Arrows of Detonation
    edited December 2014
    these potions / strategies help to avoid his death gaze that turns you into a ghast? i have no troubles with him except that wee little attack he uses...
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Potion of Mirrored Eyes will save you from the gaze. So might "Protection from Petrification", but I'm not sure about that one.
    I actually have been ghastified through potions of mirrored eyes. Really surprised me, as I had more than one run where I thought that was protecting me, and then one time it just didn't. Not sure if that's a bug, but since the journal entry from the ghoul in Durlag's Tower questions whether the normal gaze protections will actually work, I suspect it's intentional.

However, Aec'Latec's death gaze is a magical effect that allows a save, so either 100% magic resistance (2x potion of magic protection) or automatically making all saves (potion of magic shielding) will protect you from it.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    A small point but you mention that your "stupid characters......run towards him". Please don't tell me that you're playing with the A.I. on.
    dunbar said:

A small point but you mention that your "stupid characters......run towards him". Please don't tell me that you're playing with the A.I. on.

im not, thats the stupid thing... i set them to attack or whatever, then they sometimes just run into battle and stand there slack jawed until they are exploded to bits... it would be kinda funny were it not so infuriating...
    edited December 2014
    I love these encounters because you know it's do-able (so many people talk about it) and you know it's Bad News (the same people say how much grief it gave them) and you know from all the differing pieces of advice that, unlike so many of the fights when you get to BG2, it's not a question of 'you can only do it if you've got high level spell casters with the right spells remembered and they cast them in a specific order (see attached list, learn by rote and use in every subsequent encounter)'.
    So, you have to work it out for yourself, playing to your strengths (party composition and personal playing style).

In this particular case I had Dorn firing bolts of biting, Baeloth throwing darts of stunning (as it turned out they only needed one of each) and charname charging down the stairs with a meat cleaver (all hasted) and the rest of the party doing nothing. As a result Aec'Letec was lying on the floor twitching by the time charname got to him - job done.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    dunbar said:

I love these encounters because you know it's do-able (so many people talk about it) and you know it's Bad News (the same people say how much grief it gave them) and you know from all the differing pieces of advice that, unlike so many of the fights when you get to BG2, it's not a question of 'you can only do it if you've got high level spell casters with the right spells remembered and they cast them in a specific order (see attached list, learn by rote and use in every subsequent encounter)'.
    So, you have to work it out for yourself, playing to your strengths (party composition and personal playing style).

@dunbar‌
    For the most part, I think you have just as much flexibility for BG2 battles, if not more cos your higher level characters got more tricks. It's one of the things that makes the entire BG saga so re-playable.

For example I watched an entire Let's Play by "Mynameisnotlily", and his party was very magic heavy, but lacked good front-liners, so he had to rely heavily on summons to stay alive and use spells to dish out the hurt, even in fairly minor skirmishes. In contrast I had a much tougher time with mage battles because I only had multi-class mages who were behind the curve in the protection vs penetration arms race, but most "brute force" enemies were easy because I had good melee fighters, and didn't need to bother with low level summons.

If by lack of options, you mean you have to use specific spells to defeat specific spell protections... I don't think it's inherently different to other games where you have to be aware of enemies' strengths and weaknesses, for example using water against fire, fire against ice, etc... Even here you got options in BG. My multiplayer friend demonstrated the awesome power of poisoned attacks against mages, you can also backstab with some type of thief, or use Bard/Inquisitor Dispels.
    @Heindrich Good point(s). I've still got a lot to learn about playing at higher levels, probably because the majority of my experience comes from my PnP days when we were invariably playing at lower levels and often against the DM as much as the in-game opponents.
    The times when BG2 requires specific hard counters tend to be mage fights. There are still a number of possible counters, depending on the target. Unless you're playing on SCS, which I haven't done yet in BG2, there are basically three things you need to counter. This assumes that your party has decent melee. Truly caster-heavy parties face slightly different challenges.

Improved Invisibility (or some variant thereof)
    Countered by True Sight (mages, priests, inquisitors), Detect Illusion (thieves, dark moon monks), and for low-level folks See Invisibility (mages) and Invisibility Purge (priests). Must be countered before other spell counters can be used. Does not particularly need to be countered before fighters can do damage, though, although beware of Fire Shields if the target is also Stoneskined.

Stoneskin
    Countered by weapons that do bonus elemental damage, any sort of poison, Breach spells, Inquisitor dispel, and druid bug spells. Note that Breach and Insect Plague don't work on liches, because of their immunity to spells of 5th level or below.

Weapon Immunity spells (Mantle, Protection from Magic Weapons, etc.)
    Countered by Breach spells, Inquisitor dispel, druid bug spells, and just walking away for 24 seconds. Note that Breach and Insect Plague still don't work on liches.

Interesting to note is that all three major problems can be solved or effectively ignored even without special preparation. Which is not to say you don't want to be prepared, as it'll make your life much easier, you don't strictly need to have specific counters.

Which isn't to say I don't appreciate the complaint that BG2 is a game of hard counters. It kind of is. But there are workarounds, if you know what they are.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    @Valferys‌ Off topic, but is the name of this thread a reference to the ending credits of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (or any of Joss Whedon's TV series')?
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    demented said:

@Valferys‌ Off topic, but is the name of this thread a reference to the ending credits of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (or any of Joss Whedon's TV series')?

You mean the 'Mutant Enemy' bit with the paper doll? Seems legit.
    demented said:

not necessarily when i used it, but i can see the reference... yay for accidental quotations!