Skip to content

#11081 Tensers Transformation should apply the correct THAC0 bonus at levels 19-21

DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
edited December 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
Tenser's Transformation says: "...and all his attacks are made as though he were a Fighter of the same level...each attack also receives a +2 bonus to hit and damage rolls"

- A Fighter lvl 21 has THAC0 = 0

- A Kensai 9 > Mage 21 with Tenser's Transformation should have THAC0 = -5 THAC0 = -4 (lvl 20 maximum), I cast the spell from a scroll with the kensage, so the image is wrong.
imageimage

- A Sorcerer lvl 21 with Tenser's transformation should have THAC0 = -2 THAC0 = -1
imageimage

- A Sorcerer lvl 31and Strenght 18 with Tenser's transformation should have THAC0 = -3 THAC0 = -2
imageimage
Post edited by DarKelP on

Comments

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited December 2014
    There are 2 problems causing this:

First, the spells Set Base Thac0 is including the +2 bonus to reach "an equal level fighter". So at level 20, when a fighter would have a Thac0 of 1, the spell is granting a base Thac0 of 3, and using that +2 bonus to reach 1.nvm, its just the last 2 levels of the spell that are wrong.

Second, like most spells in BG(2), it caps out at level 20, so level 21 is still using the that same Base Thac0 of 3(1).

IWD has the opposite problem: this spell continues to improve up to level 30, granting up to -11 base Thaco, when fighter Thac0 stops improving past "0".
    Post edited by kjeron on
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    We'd need a few more details @DarKelP‌ to make sure you are comparing like for like.
    e.g.
    What strength do the characters you comparing have.
    What proficiencies do they have.

I've quickly drummed up a fighter and sorcerer. Level 18, * in quarterstaff, strength 15, no additional items equipped.

Fighter THACO is 3. Damage is 1-6.
    Sorcerer THACO drops from 15 to 1. Damage increases from 1-6 to 3-8.

This example produces the expected results.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @Gate70‌
    It goes up correctly to level 18, but from there it does not improve. Level 19 and 20 abilities of the spell use the wrong Base Thac0 amounts, and the spell does not have a level 21 ability.
    Thanks @kjeron‌ will have a look at that.
    OK, tagged as described by @kjeron‌

Not sure if level 21 should get an increase, will leave that for the devs to work out.
    Thanks
  • DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
    edited December 2014
    @Gate70 You can try with this save game, It has the following team:

- Sorcerer lvl 13 (Strength 10) - THAC0 6 Correct
    - Sorcerer lvl 18 (Strength 10) - THAC0 1 Correct
    - Sorcerer lvl 31 (Strength 10) - THAC0 1 Wrong, It should be -2 It should be -1 (lvl 20 maximum)
    - Mage lvl 21 (Strength 10) - THAC0 7 Wrong, It should be -2
    - Kensai 9 > Mage 21 (Strength 16) - THAC0 4 Wrong, It should be -5

It seems like with mages there is a bigger bug.

@kjeron Thanks, in IWD a Sorcerer lvl 31 with Tenser's Transformation and Strength 18 has THAC0 -1, +2 damage bonus, -4 CA bonus and +1 APR, that is correct, there isn't +2 bonus to hit in IWD. I don't know with a mage or kensage.
    Post edited by DarKelP on
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    @kjeron's second post was correct: The only thing wrong with Tenser's Transformation is the incorrect base thac0 at casting levels 19 and 20. I posted about this some time ago in the BG2 Fixpack forums (link):

"On casting levels 19 and 20, the thac0 gets set to 3, the same as on level 18. This should be 2 and 1, respectively, seeing that the spell is supposed to grant the base thac0 of a fighter of the same level."

Everything else is working as intended.
    DarKelP said:

@Gate70 You can try with this save game, It has the following team:

- Sorcerer lvl 13 (Strength 10) - THAC0 6 Correct
    - Sorcerer lvl 18 (Strength 10) - THAC0 1 Correct
    - Sorcerer lvl 31 (Strength 10) - THAC0 1 Wrong, It should be -2
    - Mage lvl 21 (Strength 10) - THAC0 7 Wrong, It should be -2
    - Kensai 9 > Mage 21 (Strength 16) - THAC0 4 Wrong, It should be -5

The first three observations are correct, the last two are not. The last two characters don't get the right thac0 because you likely cast Tenser's from the scroll in their quick slots. When casting from a scroll a fixed casting level is used instead of the character's casting level. Here's what happens if you cast Tenser's from memory:

As I said, everything's working as intended except for the casting levels 19 and 20 having incorrect base thac0 settings. This is the bug that should get a ticket.
    Gate70 said:

Not sure if level 21 should get an increase, will leave that for the devs to work out.

Probably not, because the maximum casting level is always 20.
  • DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
    edited December 2014
    I can confirm another bug with mages. Tenser's transformation always gives THAC0 = 7, regardless of level.

So Kensage 9>21 has THAC0 4 because with Kensai 9 It has +3 bonus to hit.

Ok, I was casting the spell from a scroll, It is my fault. @Hurricane Thanks But a sorcerer lvl 20 should have a THAC0 -1, shouldn't he?

Ok, I see, the bug only affects levels 19 and 20 then.

• HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    DarKelP said:

@Hurricane Thanks But a sorcerer lvl 20 should have a THAC0 -1, shouldn't he?

Exactly.
    Thanks for all the observations here, much appreciated.