Skip to content

Thalantyr's Acid Darts

Each one of Thalantyr's brands of elemental darts are worth the same amount of money. That makes sense at first, but let's take a look at their descriptions:

Darts of Acid:
"With the teeth of a black dragon for heads and the mighty wyrm's sinews for shafts, these wicked arrows dissolve into deadly acid on impact."

Darts of Ice:
"The splintered bones of ice mephits make deadly projectiles. Just be sure to wear warm gloves before touching them."

Darts of Fire:
"Soaked in the blood of an efreeti and fletched with the feathers of a phoenix, these missiles burst into flame when thrown."

I'm very surprised that black dragon teeth are just as easy for Thalantyr to acquire as ice mephit bones. Thalantyr is a powerful conjurer, so he could probably summon ice mephits and efreet in his sleep, but finding (and slaying) dragons isn't so simple. Even though a single dragon has a lot of teeth, and a single dragon tooth could probably be used to make several darts, it seems strange that Thalantyr can obtain dragon teeth so easily. I mean I get that he's an extremely powerful wizard, but I'd still expect that he'd have a much harder time procuring black dragon teeth than ice mephit bones.
CField17kcwiseJuliusBorisovShikaoCrevsDaakjackjack

Comments

• supposedlysupposedly Member Posts: 206
    It's just a marketing ploy!
    kcwiseCalmarCrevsDaak
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    He invented the spell "Summon Dragon Teeth" but didn't want to chance the original owners tracking him down to retrieve their lost choppers. So, he sells the things to foolish adventurers to cover his tracks.
    JuliusBorisovSoren_The_Wild
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    maybe the marginal cost of acid darts is much lower because you just have to physically put them together and they're good to go, where with the other two kinds there's tons more work and different ingredients (phoenix feathers = no joke) and capital costs such as uhm gloves.
    kcwise
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Maybe dragons are like sharks, and losing teeth isn't really a big deal for them?
    kcwisejackjack
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    teeth could be had like fossils in the ground (maybe) but sinew would not be easy to obtain at all, you'd have to farm dragons like cows.
    kcwise
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    edited December 2014
    Acid Darts are an incredibly good investment on a monk or druid character, though darts of wounding are the best out there, IMO. My solo monk run used a CRAP-TON of Acid Darts until level 5.

EDIT: Oh, I missed the point though. *ahem* ... well Thalantyr is quite the skilled mage. If he's as skilled as Gorion in terms of his wizardry prowess, it's more than possible he had an adventure or two where he could fight and either injure or slay a Black Dragon, especially with a party.
    kcwiseShikaoJuliusBorisov
  • ScourgeScourge Member Posts: 97
    edited December 2014
    May I ask how do you use Darts? I mean, all thalantyr sells are 30 darts\slings of each type, then nothing else. I mean, how can one specialize if the number of each type of these weapons being sold is so low ?
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    This:

it's more than possible he had an adventure or two where he could fight and either injure or slay a Black Dragon, especially with a party.

If you have a proper conversation with Thalantyr, it's hinted that he used to be adventurer, hence Black Dragon teeth might be indeed a treasure from his past.
    JuliusBorisovkcwiseCrevsDaak
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Scourge said:

May I ask how do you use Darts? I mean, all thalantyr sells are 30 darts\slings of each type, then nothing else. I mean, how can one specialize if the number of each type of these weapons being sold is so low ?

In my SCS-modded game, he has tons of darts. Don't know whether it is the case in unmodded BGEE : )

I usually buy 40 darts of each kind and go on a journey. When they're over, I come back and buy again.
    ShikaokcwiseCrevsDaak
    Good heavens, where does he store all those darts? Bags of holding probably.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaakjackjack
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

He stores them in dat room.

lunarkcwiseCrevsDaak
    edited December 2014
    When you need to stick it in the eye from a distance, always throw with Dat.

Dat Darts, for all your eye stabbing needs.
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
    Hittin dat acid
    kcwisejackjackJuliusBorisov
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I think they should also be much costy, because almost no enemies in the game are immune to Acid (while some are immune to fire, and plenty are immune to cold).
    jackjackShikaokcwiseJuliusBorisov
    edited December 2014
    I tried discussing this with the flesh golems but we just kept going in circles
    ShikaoelminsterkcwiseJuliusBorisov