Skip to content

best pc for these lawful good npc parties

May I ask for ideas for the PC (seeking for best potential race/class combo) for parties of (intending to play through the whole saga):

BGEE: Ajantis, Rasaad, Yeslick, Minsc, Dynaheir, PC
BG2EE: Keldorn, Rasaad, Mazzy. Anomen, Aerie, PC

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    These're solid parties, both for BG1 and for BG2. I think you might miss thieving skills so you need a thief PC. Also, while Dynaheir is enough on the arcane magic front for BG1, Aerie is not enough for BG2 as your only mage.

I would take a multiclass illusionist/thief (gnome). A very fun character to play as, very effective and suits your parties.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    You are clearly missing a Thief in the first party and you have too many meleers.

For BG1EE: I would drop Rasaad perhaps and get Imoen. Or drop Adjantis and make a Cavalier.

For BG2EE: You can also drop Keldorn and get Imoen again. Her thieving skills are enough, don't worry.

Really, an LG party screams Paladin PC. The brave and noble leader that completes them.

I would just make a Cavalier (my favorite over the other kits) and drop the Paladins.
    It's just better being the Paladin or leader of a party.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    go swashy for bonuses or fighter/thief dwarf/elf
    dwarf melee with something good in mind
    elf u can go long bow and jusr destroy everything
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    If you want an all lawful good party in BG2 (Minsc is not LG, but I understand if you need him for Dynaheir in BG1), you might consider a LG Swasbuckler>Mage dual. That would give you the thieving skills and arcane casting your party seems to be lacking...
  • manutd_fan_1999manutd_fan_1999 Member Posts: 34
    thief variants can't be LG, so I'd probably go NG
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Bounty Hunter dualled to a mage at the beginning of BG2.

Keep using Yoshimo or Jan for thieving skills until you get Mazzy and Rasaad. By that time, your thieving skills should be unlocked again.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650

:forehead slap: good point!
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    You undoutably need more thief for BG1, and more mage for BG2, so I would agree with the suggestion of duel classing at the begining of BG2. I wouldn't choose the bounty hunter kit unless you have a fondness for traps though. Swashbuckler and assassin both have better synergy when dueled to mage.
  • supposedlysupposedly Member Posts: 206
    edited November 2014
    Gnome thief/illusionist. I can't remember if gnomes get a romance option though, if you're into that.

If you want an interesting challenge, try a Skald. You won't be able to disarm traps, but the song would be great for those fighters. You can still pickpocket and be the buffer in BG2 to free up Aerie's mage spells for offense.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited November 2014

Gnome thief/illusionist. I can't remember if gnomes get a romance option though, if you're into that.

Aerie's into Gnoming.
    May I ask which would best the best option?:-

a) Gnome Thief/Illusionist
    b) (Half) Elf Thief/Mage
    c) (Half) Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief
    d) Thief (kit or no kit) -> (dual at which level) Mage
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Best is so subjective and conditional...
    Though I would scratch out c) if you want to run full 6-people party.

I have a LG playthrough in mind and my plans are:

Protagonist - Elf Thief/Mage (EEKeeped to be Illusionist) wielding Crossbows

BG1
    Ajantis
    Rasaad (daggers)
    Minsc (longbow)
    Dynaheir
    Branwen (I know she ain't Good, you can either skip her or later change her to Yeslick, but for me you get him too late)

BG2
    Keldorn
    Ajantis
    Aerie
    Rasaad
    Mazzy (shortbow)
    Best is very subjective :)

If you just want some thief skills for picking locks and disarming traps, dual class Swashbuckler -> mage is probably what I would go with. I might dual at level 10 for the extra +1 AC.

If you want to get thief HLAs, traps, and do a lot of backstabbing, then a multi-class would be better. F/M/T if you really want backstabbing mayhem.

Gnome illusionist/thief have nice saving throw bonuses which can be handy. And gnomes are always fun.

My personal preference would be illusionist thief or F/M/T since you can have fun with arcane magic and thief skills throughout BG1.

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    F/M/T would be pretty bad in a 6-man party unless you plan to cheat in a lot of xp. Even a F/M barely reaches lv10 spells by the end of ToB.

I do like the Swashbuckler => Mage @supposedly‌ recommended though.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    With Aerie as your only Mage there's a good argument for Swashbuckler 10-> Mage.

On the other hand if 3e sneak was working for bg2ee I'd perhaps suggest assassin 9 to 13 -> Mage (9 or 13 for mislead backstabs, 12 for 3e sneaks, 11 for traps).

Then again, if not having a pure Mage doesn't bother you then an illusionist/thief or FMT are both very strong options.

I have a FMT wielding Carsomyr or a staff for backstabs and not much stands up to him. Despite contrary opinions I see no issue with a triple class in a 6 man party.
    Wowo said:

I have a FMT wielding Carsomyr or a staff for backstabs and not much stands up to him. Despite contrary opinions I see no issue with a triple class in a 6 man party.

If you try to use the FMT as a pure mage then yes it's a weaker mage. But if you play to the strengths, ie crazy backstabs with invis on demand, stoneskins, and good Thac0 and hp, and access to all fighter, mage, and thief HLAs, then it can be a very fun choice.

Sneak attacks would open up a whole new interesting discussion :)
    if you want more arcane with just utility thief skills then dual class is the way to go
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027

If you want to make an exception and take a NG character then why don't you include Imoen in your team and play another LG class you like ?

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724

May I ask which would best the best option?:-

a) Gnome Thief/Illusionist
    b) (Half) Elf Thief/Mage
    c) (Half) Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief
    d) Thief (kit or no kit) -> (dual at which level) Mage

bengoshi said:

I would take a multiclass illusionist/thief (gnome). A very fun character to play as, very effective and suits your parties.

Excuse my quoting of myself in the same discussion but I just like a gnome thief/illusionist : )
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    There is no problem using FMT in a full party as others mentioned. Go ahead if that is your preference.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    For FMT I think I would go elf instead of half-elf for +1 dex, +1 thac0 for long sword, short sword, & bows and 90% instead of 30% against sleep & charm spells.
    The main reason I wanted to keep the NPCs as these would be, is so I can have all the LG NPCs of both games (going with an alignment themed party for all alignments, keeping duos intact in BG1:EE (I just tend to go the same NPCs all the time, so I want to eventually play with all NPCs in both games at least once)
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited December 2014
    Wanderon said:

For FMT I think I would go elf instead of half-elf for +1 dex, +1 thac0 for long sword, short sword, & bows and 90% instead of 30% against sleep & charm spells.

The advantage of Half-Elf over Elf is that Elves require Minimum 8 Charisma while Half-Elves get by with Minimum 3 Charisma. That will mostly serve to allow a useful Wisdom score 14plus.

In BG1 the Elvish bonus to Bows is worth having but much less so in BG2. 19 Dex is of little value when wielding LongSword/Katana.

Gnome Thief/Illusionist is probably best but I just don't get the same kick out of playing a Gnome Protag.

Somewhat surprised that Ranger/Cleric does not seem to be in the running.

I also prefer the greater ease of play and faster leveling afforded by Party of 5
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Fighter/Thief or Illusionist/Thief for BGEE by far. You need a thief, and you want your PC to be a tough one.

Same for the second one I'd wager. And with that many front-liners you should use bows
    edited December 2014
    As for weapon proficiencies, may I ask what I should go with (I am thinking about non-mage weapons for the 10 swashbuckler levels, but which ones, & which would be good for post-reactivation Swash->Mage: may I ask if there are any other thief-usable weapons that give either extra spells or extra intelligence?)

I am thinking shortbows at level 1, & katana (for Dakkon's Zerth Blade) with the last proficiency point as a swashbuckler, but which other weapons/styles would be recommended?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    You want one or both speed weapons so choose out of shortsword or scimitar.

Swash can get 2 pips in a weapon and 3 in 2 weapon fighting so prioritise that.

Maybe aim for:
    Katana**
    Shortsword**
    2wf'n***?
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639

As for weapon proficiencies, may I ask what I should go with (I am thinking about non-mage weapons for the 10 swashbuckler levels, but which ones, & which would be good for post-reactivation Swash->Mage: may I ask if there are any other thief-usable weapons that give either extra spells or extra intelligence?)

I am thinking shortbows at level 1, & katana (for Dakkon's Zerth Blade) with the last proficiency point as a swashbuckler, but which other weapons/styles would be recommended?

shortbows, katanas, scimitars, and short swords. If you're using Rogue Rebalancing, definitely Scimitars and Short Swords, for dual wielding with Kundane or Belm off-hand.

Shortbows will let you use Gesen so you got some ranged damage other than spells, that way you got something to do when you don't have time to cast or you ran out of spells. Crossbows are an alternative for Firetooth though.
    edited December 2014
    Wowo said:

You want one or both speed weapons so choose out of shortsword or scimitar.

Swash can get 2 pips in a weapon and 3 in 2 weapon fighting so prioritise that.

Maybe aim for:
    Katana**
    Shortsword**
    2wf'n***?

Quarterstaffs all the way. Staff of striking, Staff of the Magi, that ridiculous 2hb from Watcher's keep... there are tons of cool 2hb
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

May I ask for ideas for the PC (seeking for best potential race/class combo) for parties of (intending to play through the whole saga):

BGEE: Ajantis, Rasaad, Yeslick, Minsc, Dynaheir, PC
    BG2EE: Keldorn, Rasaad, Mazzy. Anomen, Aerie, PC

apart from f/m you can also pick a sorcerer. you'll be able to find traps, step on them with summons and use knock. you won't have disarm but if there are permanent traps, you can temporarily switch one your followers for a thief or apply proper protections and just walk over them. it will be a bit rough without general thief skills in BG1 but in BG2 i think you'll be okay.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited December 2014
    Ok, lemme start this part by part:

For BG:EE you choose:

Ajantis (paladin)
    Rasaad (monk)
    Yeslick (fighter/cleric)
    Minsc (ranger berserker alike)
    Dinaheir (invoker)

With this part in BG:EE you should know that:

Rasaad will play a much greater ranged attack role (with darts, probally) in your party than front melee. You have minsc, ajantis and yeslick and they all can tank easly in the game. Minsc will be the main hack 'n slash of this party.

Special in this party wil be the lack of enchantment spells, so no emotion, charm person, dire charm, domination, greater malision, blind, ray of enfeeblement among others, so adapt for the lack of these spells.

With no thief in this party, i would advice you to make a main char as a thief, but unless for durlag's tower prupose, a thief isn't a major need in BG:EE and you can survive without one.

For BG2:EE you choose:

Keldorn (paladin)
    Rasaad (monk)
    Anomen (fighter/Cleric)
    Aerie (cleric/mage)
    Mazzy (fighter)

This team is very powerful by itself. Keldorn is a powerhouse, i put inquisitors in the same level of kensai/mage for prupose of powergaming. Rasaad in later BG2 will be a monster, monks to me are powerhouses also, not so much as a kensai/mage, but they have merit.

Anomen by far is one of the strongest tanks between the joinable NPC options, in reason of his 4 fighter levels, he can go grandmaster with any weapon a cleric can use. Better than him for tank role, only jaheira.
    Obs: Just don't become chaotic neutral with him
    or he will attack aerie later
    , just a hint.

Aerie is a weak character if you ask me, but very versable one, go for limited wish and wish spells when you can with her, it's one of the few benefits i see in have her in the party.

Mazy is best used as an archer, specially in this party of Keldorn, anomen and rasaad for front line.

2 clerics, 4 warriors and 1/2 mage, also you party lack an thief.

Conclusion:

Go for any combo of thief and/or mage (dual or multi).

**My opinion**

Go for Dual Class swashbuckler/mage.

Why? Swashbuckler acts like an demi-fighter thief kind of character, you already have your tanks in BG1 and he will deal some damage there with minsc.

A thief will solve your BG/BG2 problem of thief need.

Dual class him to mage at level 10 (or 9 if you use the rogue rebalancing mod) as thiefs don't get evolution in APR.

In BG2 you will fill the role of the hight level caster much better than Aerie.