Skip to content

IWD:EE Looking for a difficult playthrough

saoxsaox Member Posts: 104
Hi!

I am a IWD:EE veteran and would like to play through the game with someone(+1 or more people).

The idea would be:

1) Insane difficulty
2) Preferably multi-classes to level up a bit slower.
3) Interesting, unique combination of skills and a little bit of RP elements in how the characters are created and how they match :-).

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Here are some ideas:

*A team of six cleric/thieves that sneak attacks everybody at range using Spiritual Hammer.
    *A team of six sorcerers, none of which are allowed to cast Mirror Image, Stoneskin or Protection from Magical Weapons, and all of which must use a bunch of Potions of Life Transference until they each have 1 Constitution. Turn off max HP rolls and have fun!
    *A team of six triple-classed characters (although this is more fun in the original non-HOW Icewind Dale on the easiest difficulty in which exp is halved, it could still be pretty fun here).
  • saoxsaox Member Posts: 104
    I am not out for a game where everyone has the same class ;). I want diversity and a challange. Would you like to join?
    Come on! Anyone?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited December 2014
    Moved your thread to the IWDEE section of the forum so that more people see it.

I suggest you to try taking not OP characters with not great stats. Limit your roll figures to 80 or even 75 and take them as they're, without any changes.

Try to take not OP class/kit combinations, such as a Beast Master, a Wizard Slayer, a Monk.

Also, take a look at the tips given here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36352/the-way-it-is-meant-to-be-played-tm-an-ocders-guide-to-making-iwdee-a-challenge#latest
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    how about playthrough without haste, heal and stoneskin
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    `team of six cleric/thieves that sneak attacks everybody at range using Spiritual Hammer.`

for some reason that made me smile!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfv-tAfXn4 :)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited December 2014
    bengoshi said:

Try to take not OP class/kit combinations, such as a Beast Master, a Wizard Slayer, a Monk.

Have you ever played a beast master in IWD:EE? I'm not saying you haven't, but I have and I must say that it's one of the best single classes in the game. The summon animal spells are much better in this game than they are in Baldur's Gate. I'm not saying it's not a fun kit to use (it certainly is fun), and I'm not saying it's the best class/kit in the game, but if anyone is looking to try some "not OP kits" in this game they shouldn't go with a beast master.
    Post edited by OlvynChuru on
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    Cleric/Thieves don't really raise the difficulty.

They're still Clerics, and Clerics are still spellcasters. And, given that this is IWD we're talking about, they're also spell casters who automatically learn their spells.

What they can't do well is kill stuff as quickly as a team of multi/dual classed Fighters.

So all 6 C/T's will just result in is an more or less equally easy game that just takes longer to play.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I'd suggest:
    - core rules
    - 6 characters
    - no adjusting stats with +/-
    - no reload (or only reload on party wipe)

I made a group like this hoping for a challenge but I minmaxed the stats which has made it pretty trivial so far.

The real kicker is that some of the best fights are due to the additional spawns on insane difficulty but if you do insane difficulty the the extra xp trivialises the game quickly. Ideally, I'd suggest modding the game to be core rules but with the additional spawns from insane difficulty. Technically you can generate the insane spawns by changing the difficulty to insane before you transition to any area that has additional spawns.
  • PeckerPecker Member Posts: 28
    Just try out crazy things you've never done before. I just finished a run where I randomized everything and it was pretty fun. Now I'm doing a run made up mostly of classes I've never played. Two Kensais, a blade, a skald, a shapeshifter, and a priest of tyr. One of my Kensais is a halfling using daggers. I used to just min-max everything and would never consider doing anything like that and it's been a lot of fun.

I agree that you shouldn't play on insane, it gets too easy. Play core, no rerolling or redistributing stats, and no max hp on level up.

If you're familiar with the game, it won't really be a challenge no matter what you do, so just do something unique and fun.
    Guys, I am not asking for advice. I am looking for players who would like to play online with me! ;)
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    saox said:

Guys, I am not asking for advice. I am looking for players who would like to play online with me! ;)

do we have to sign the consent form in blood?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    How do you plan to manage the schedules of up to 6 people in practice? I might be interested, but I'm not sure it's even possible.
    "+1 or more" guys seriously - anyone interested? :)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    What is your schedule?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I'd play but I'm in Australia so my experience is that the timetables don't match up.
    I am almost all of my time until new year. :-)