Skip to content

Mechanically, What Does the Slayer Do? (Spoiler?)

The Slayer form. What of your class carries over? Does a barbarian gain more than a mage? Would a Monk-Slayer be ridiculous? I remember from years ago my Bard was pretty badarse.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    The Slayer form is not different in terms of your class/kit.

Strength and Dexterity are increased to 25.

Constitution is increased by +5. This is affected by Constitution modifiers, such as the Claw of Kazgaroth.

The Slayer possesses dual claw attacks that strike as +5 Slashing weapons and inflict bonus Cold damage.

You have 5 attacks/round THACO of -7, and a damage of about 20-30 plus 2 Cold damage, which slows the opponent. This is cumulative.

Unless the Ascension mod is installed, maximum hitpoints are set to 100.

The Slayer is immune to Imprisonment, Charm, Confusion, Hold, Maze and Illithid Mind Blasts.

You get 40% of magic resistance.

Every time you use this ability you lose 2 reputation points.

This form stays stable in 5 or 6 rounds. After this period you begin to lose control, to lose hit points. First you lose 2 HPs then this doubles in every round.

Even if you heal this damage, after a certain point, you will automatically die if you do not change back beforehand. The game prompts the player to change back by warning that they can feel themselves losing control.

There're ideas of how the Slayer form could be improved: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/547/slayer-form-tweaks-bg2ee
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/20755/slayer-form-tweaks-again
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2014
    bengoshi said:

Constitution is increased by +5. This is affected by Constitution modifiers, such as the Claw of Kazgaroth.

Constitution isn't affected in BG2EE.

Some specifics to be added to what Bengoshi wrote.

- It sets all your saving throws to 2.
    - Effective AC set to -10 (some of which is due to dexterity bonus)
    - 5 APR at 1d8 crushing damage (+2 cold damage bonus, as well as your strength bonus)
    – Immunity to imprisonment, level drain, stun, confusion, sleep, panic, charm, and missile attacks. It has no hold immunity (at least not in BG2EE).

Also the form does magic damage to you as part of the "control slipping", at one point doing 1500 to you. If you manage to survive that 1500 damage...say by having Protection from Magical Energy active, you can stay in the form for as long as you wish (though you can't save or rest).
    Post edited by elminster on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2014
    Umm, I remember from the original bg2, that after some time, even if you have %100 magic damage resistance, and thus immune to backlash damage, it just kills you instantly. Not tried in bg2:ee though, is it true we can stay as slayer till the next rest if we are protected from magic damage?
    edited December 2014
    lunar said:

Umm, I remember from the original bg2, that after some time, even if you have %100 magic damage resistance, and thus immune to backlash damage, it just kills you instantly. Not tried in bg2:ee though, is it true we can stay as slayer till the next rest if we are protected from magic damage?

Yea I tested it myself in BG2EE before posting that. Though apparently you are blocked from resting or saving while in form, so it does have some limitations.

This

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/48633631

suggests that the 1500 damage (rather than say a Slay effect) is not a new behaviour. If there is a slay (or similar) effect I can't find it in Near Infinity or when testing in game for it.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    If you already have Magic Resistance does it add to that or does it overwrite it?

CaptRory said:

If you already have Magic Resistance does it add to that or does it overwrite it?

It would overwrite it.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Ok, so Slayer Form basically overwrites everything. Only having high physical stats beforehand helps.
  • lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    CaptRory wrote: »
    The Slayer form. What of your class carries over? Does a barbarian gain more than a mage? Would a Monk-Slayer be ridiculous? I remember from years ago my Bard was pretty badarse.

The mon is better without the slayer. Swashbuckler is another story. Don't know how it is possible but the swashbuckler ability bonuses are all used by the slayer. I tested a level 30 character just now, and between all the rogue HLA and the things I could wear I had -30 AC and 8 attacks per round at nearly 30 damage a hit.