Skip to content

The Haste Spell

After 14 years of playing Baldur's Gate I finally used the haste spell for the first time. I had no idea how much of a difference this spell could make. I always thought the haste spell only affected the target and chose not to use it.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Haste (on your party members) + Slow (on enemies) = Win

You'll like the Improved Haste spell even better : )
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    wigglesg said:

After 14 years of playing Baldur's Gate I finally used the haste spell for the first time. I had no idea how much of a difference this spell could make. I always thought the haste spell only affected the target and chose not to use it.

It's such a powerful spell that (if I remember correctly) on PnP rules it ages the caster one year every time it is cast.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2014
    Wilbur said:

wigglesg said:

It's such a powerful spell that (if I remember correctly) on PnP rules it ages the caster one year every time it is cast.
    Not the caster, but everyone hasted, (including the caster if he himself is hasted as well) ages one year when the spell ends. Also had to make a system shock roll (based on CON) or die, IIRC. Elves were lucky since one year is nothing to them, however they have lower CON which could kill them outright. Heh.

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited December 2014
    lunar said:

Wilbur said:

wigglesg said:

Not the caster, but everyone hasted, (including the caster if he himself is hasted as well) ages one year when the spell ends. Also had to make a system shock roll (based on CON) or die, IIRC. Elves were lucky since one year is nothing to them, however they have lower CON which could kill them outright. Heh.

You are right about the spell aging everyone affected unless under the effect of slow spell in which case it only negates the slow spell. However you cannot die from being hasted so no CON check at least in 2nd edition (unless you die of old age :)).
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Wilbur said:

lunar said:

Wilbur said:

wigglesg said:

You are right about the spell aging everyone affected unless under the effect of slow spell in which case it only negates the slow spell. However you cannot die from being hasted so no CON check at least in 2nd edition (unless you die of old age :)).
    It was vaguely worded that magical aging was akin to polymorph and forced a system shock. It may be a houserule or dm's interpretation, I guess. This could have been used as an offensive weapon against enemies, then! Haste them all and if you survive their attacks long enough they all need to roll dice to see if they die of exhaustion, like a horse.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    lunar said:

Wilbur said:

wigglesg said:

Imagine what would Time Stop do...
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    Well that was ridiculously easy. Just killed Durlags Demon Knight in < 20 s on core with my Inquisitor, Khalid, Jaheira, Branwen, Kiran and Imoen(dualled) all around level 7-8. I always thought the tower was meant to be difficult (I'd only previously done the upper levels) or have I come to it at too high a level?
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Try it on summons... A handful of Skeleton Warriors with Haste (or, as I prefer to call it "Vanhel's Dance Macabre") will make a mess of most things!

Also, spiders...