Skip to content

[MOD][BETA] Tome and Blood: More Options for Wizards and Sorcerers

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065

The arcana abilities are pretty cool. They might work better as special abilities, maybe. They seem spell-like, but not like spells, if that makes sense.

(I may or may not be hiding from the invisible creature dialogue spells assignment hell that awaits me in the next round of development...) The reason I made the Arcana spells at all was that, due to the way that all other sorcerer kits currently in this mod work, if I didn't give some spells, low level Magi would be stuck with only one spell of a given level. Then I realize that having a sorcerer where the primary use of spells is buffing weapons could probably be cool, although I'm not sure about the balance...

There is also the whole thing where Sorcerer innates are practically spells, so I've tried to avoid giving Sorcerers innates in favor of giving them spells so that they can choose how much use they get out of them.
    Grammarsalad
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited December 2014

The arcana abilities are pretty cool. They might work better as special abilities, maybe. They seem spell-like, but not like spells, if that makes sense.

(I may or may not be hiding from the invisible creature dialogue spells assignment hell that awaits me in the next round of development...) The reason I made the Arcana spells at all was that, due to the way that all other sorcerer kits currently in this mod work, if I didn't give some spells, low level Magi would be stuck with only one spell of a given level. Then I realize that having a sorcerer where the primary use of spells is buffing weapons could probably be cool, although I'm not sure about the balance...

There is also the whole thing where Sorcerer innates are practically spells, so I've tried to avoid giving Sorcerers innates in favor of giving them spells so that they can choose how much use they get out of them.
    Lol, I'm finding that the dialog stuff is kinda fun. Even add_spell isn't a big deal (necessary if you want the creature to detect custom spells/innates). Seriously, dive in and you will be giddy with the possibilities!

As for the arcana abilities as spells, I do see your point. But at the same time,I think there is room for sorcerers to have innate abilities that are from a 'separate pool' than their spells. I guess I can't defend the idea, but these abilities just 'seem like' innates. But I like the concept either way. The kit really feels like a spell blade type

Edit: it looks like you may not need to add_spell. Havespellres looks like it works by spell file name
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
  • Drow_ArrowDrow_Arrow Member Posts: 73
    the ideas are flowing freely i see... this mod looks like it keeps getting better and better each time i check this thread XD.
    GrammarsaladAquadrizzt
    edited December 2014
    @Grammarsalad , how are you getting the number of spells known already? I imagine it would require an extensive script of iterating through all spells of a certain level and incrementing a set of globals (CurrentSorLevelOneSpells, or something) for each spell that they know. Is there a simpler way?

The actual dialog coding isn't taking long at all (fortunately). It's actually pretty straightforward. I am quite pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: I am also having difficulty having the creature actually force the dialog. The summoning of the creature is fine, but it doesn't initiate dialog with the Sorcerer...

EDIT2: I have it and its working beautifully, with one exception. It doesn't seem to be able to sense which spells the given character has memorized. I believe this is due to it checking the summoned creature for spells known, rather than the caster (LastSummonerOf(Myself)). Where in the block should I check for known spells on the Sorcerer's part?

Example of my code below

IF ~True()~ level_one
    SAY ~Here is a list of available Level One spells that you do not know.~
    + ~!HaveSpellRES("SPWI101")~ +~Grease~ + Grease
    + ~!HaveSpellRES("SPWI102")~ +~Armor~ + Armor
    + ~!HaveSpellRES("SPWI103")~ +~Burning Hands~ + Burning_Hands
    + ~!HaveSpellRES("SPWI104")~ +~Charm Person~ + Charm_Person
    ++ ~I want to leave.~ + End
    END

IF ~~ Grease
    SAY ~GREASE

Level 1 Conjuration [Summoning]
    Casting Time: 1
    Range: 30 ft
    Area of Effect: 30-ft radius.
    Duration: 3 rounds +1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Special.

[Grease description]~
    ++ ~Learn Grease.~ DO ~ActionOverride(LastSummonerOf(Myself),AddSpecialAbility("SPWI101"))~ + level_one
    ++ ~Return to Level One spell options.~ + level_one
    END
    Post edited by Aquadrizzt on
    edited December 2014

@Grammarsalad , how are you getting the number of spells known already? I imagine it would require an extensive script of iterating through all spells of a certain level and incrementing a set of globals (CurrentSorLevelOneSpells, or something) for each spell that they know. Is there a simpler way?

The actual dialog coding isn't taking long at all (fortunately). It's actually pretty straightforward. I am quite pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: I am also having difficulty having the creature actually force the dialog. The summoning of the creature is fine, but it doesn't initiate dialog with the Sorcerer...

EDIT2: I have it and its working beautifully, with one exception. It doesn't seem to be able to sense which spells the given character has memorized. I believe this is due to it checking the summoned creature for spells known, rather than the caster (LastSummonerOf(Myself)). Where in the block should I check for known spells on the Sorcerer's part?

Example of my code below

IF ~True()~ level_one
    END

IF ~~ Grease
    SAY ~GREASE

[Grease description]~
    ++ ~Learn Grease.~ DO ~ActionOverride(LastSummonerOf(Myself),AddSpecialAbility("SPWI101"))~ + level_one
    END
    Are you having this problem with all spells, or just recently added spells? I had to add a "rest()" after each added spell because the sorcerer didn't have the just added spells "memorized" until he had rested, so they weren't being detected.

Edit:I also add rest at the beginning of the process in cast the caster levels when his spells are exhausted
    edited December 2014

Example of my code below

IF ~True()~ level_one
    END

IF ~~ Grease
    SAY ~GREASE

[Grease description]~
    END
    Are you having this problem with all spells, or just recently added spells? I had to add a "rest()" after each added spell because the sorcerer didn't have the just added spells "memorized" until he had rested, so they weren't being detected.
    All spells. The conditional block for responses (i.e. + ~!HaveSpellRES("SPWI101")~ +~Grease~ + Grease) uses the summoned creature as the "active" creature, meaning that it checks the summoned creature, rather than the sorcerer. BG2EE added a trigger ("NextTriggerObject") that allows you to specify an alternative target object than the active one, but, for some reason, it wasn't included in BG:EE v1.3.

To test it, I made a Sorcerer that knew Armor (I haven't changed SPLSRCKN.2da to all 0s yet, so I can still pick spells during character creation). The sorcerer was still able to select and "learn" Armor, even though they already knew it and had it memorized.

To further confirm that the "active" creature is the summoned one, I added a racial check on Grease [Race(LastSummonerOf(Myself),ELF)] that accurately was able to discern if the PC was an elf or not. Thus, excluding triggers that allow you to specify an object, it is impossible to check easily. If you have any suggestions for getting around this, they would be quite welcome.
    Grammarsalad
    edited December 2014
    I also just noticed that, due to the way I implemented the actual spell learning (using Action Override), the character can only learn one spell per round of dialogue (use of the ability).

Adding a brief wait fixed this. The issue of spell recognition stands, otherwise it seems like this is fully functional.
    edited December 2014
    Okay, i think it's an issue with HaveSpellRES. I do think it is looking at the player character. Havespell works fine without specifying the summoner. Maybe try the string spell name verbatim ie "Grease". Another crazy idea is to try #xxxx where "xxxx" is the string number of the spell grease. I... Thought that it works like partyhasitem..

Edit

Okay, i think it's an issue with HaveSpellRES. I do think it is looking at the player character. Havespell works fine without specifying the summoner. Maybe try the string spell name verbatim ie "Grease". Another crazy idea is to try #xxxx where "xxxx" is the string number of the spell grease. I... Thought that it works like partyhasitem..

Edit

Tried both of those to no avail. I looked up how default scripts use HaveSpellRES and the argument is the .spl file name in quotes i.e. ("spwi101"). If it is somehow working for you, mind sending me your code? After I get spell recognition, the system should be ready to go.

Edit

Tried both of those to no avail. I looked up how default scripts use HaveSpellRES and the argument is the .spl file name in quotes i.e. ("spwi101"). If it is somehow working for you, mind sending me your code? After I get spell recognition, the system should be ready to go.
    Okay, maybe it is checking the summoned creature. I will test it on and get back to you. I can't do anything substantial until the weekend, however. Family stuff
    edited December 2014
    Taking a break from the sorcerer scripting mess to add IWD:EE compatibility. However, I am encountering a weird error with WeiDu v237 where it recognizes IWD:EE as BG:EE. This causes some strings to not copy properly. For example, the Abjurer description is stored at 9564 and 24290 in BG(2):EE, but it is stored at 9564 and 37193 in IWD:EE. When installed, the game uses the BG:EE block and doesn't even acknowledge the IWD:EE block...

Or... not? I guess.

Update on the spell recognition: I was correct, the new BG2EE Trigger "NextTriggerObject" can in fact be used to check spells. Of course, the script doesn't update itself within dialogue, so it is possible to "learn" the same spell multiple times. I guess you could have a set of variables that checks whether you have learned the spell within the dialogue. If there is a way to force scripts to run in between dialogues, that would be better. Or, alternatively, you could check the number of spells currently known vs. the number of spells supposed to be known every time you start the dialogue, so if you screw up (and... say... learn Burning Hands twice), the dialogue will boot you but you can still run the thing again (and this time not be able to select Burning Hands) and choose one more spell, as appropriate.

This development also means that any progress on this mod will be incompatible with BGEE until the next round of patches, oh well.
    edited December 2014
    Further updates: the system works almost perfectly with the incorporation of the NextTriggerObject trigger. The only issue I am facing is what happens when the caster needs to select more than one spell at a given level. If the caster has the correct number of spells or 1 fewer than the number of spells for a given level, it works great. However, if the caster needs to select more than 2 spells of a given level, it breaks and allows unlimited selection within that level until the dialogue is closed.

EDIT: This can be fixed by having the dialogue restarted after each spell selection. It seems to be working properly now.
    edited December 2014

Further updates: the system works almost perfectly with the incorporation of the NextTriggerObject trigger. The only issue I am facing is what happens when the caster needs to select more than one spell at a given level. If the caster has the correct number of spells or 1 fewer than the number of spells for a given level, it works great. However, if the caster needs to select more than 2 spells of a given level, it breaks and allows unlimited selection within that level until the dialogue is closed.

EDIT: This can be fixed by having the dialogue restarted after each spell selection. It seems to be working properly now.

Okay, this may not be relevant now, but I have HaveSpellRES working fine in BGEE. THis is my code:

BEGIN ~B_Sor01~ IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Sor000 SAY @115003 IF ~~ THEN DO ~Rest()~ GOTO Sor101 END IF ~True()~ THEN BEGIN Sor101 SAY @115003 IF ~!HaveSpellRES("SPWI101")~ THEN REPLY "Grease" DO ~AddSpecialAbility("SPWI101") Rest()~ EXIT IF ~!HaveSpell(WIZARD_ARMOR)~ THEN REPLY "Armor" DO ~AddSpecialAbility("SPWI102") Rest()~ EXIT END

I'll check for multiple selections when I get a chance, but this is all I have time for right now.

EDIT: There is some redundancy (IE @115003--in tra "Select your spell") but this is just to show that it is functional now. For two selections, instead of EXIT, I would GOTO (eg) SOR102 with an EXIT after each selection. This should give just two selections
    @Grammarsalad‌ , who are you placing the script on? The invisible creature? My earlier code was practically identical and didn't work.
    edited December 2014

@Grammarsalad‌ , who are you placing the script on? The invisible creature? My earlier code was practically identical and didn't work.

Edit 2: i never answered your question. All scripts are contained in the cre file. I'll check tomorrow exactly which 'initiate dialog' command I used in the baf file. Maybe that makes a difference

Yeah,I noticed that. I wonder if it is the baf file. What did that look like?

As for the whole process, this is an overview of what my general algorithm will look like.

Creature gets summoned automatically at level up and immediately initiates dialog with the character. The baf file will just initiate dialog and then destroyself() to end the loop.

The dialog will rest(), check level and then initiate dialog based on level. Each remaining block will grant a single spell from a specific level and then either GOTO another spell granting block or EXIT if it's the last spell granted based on level. Spells will be granted highest level first so that lower level spell granting blocks can be reused when possible.

I'll give level one as an example:

I need to grant two first level spells at level one, so all REPLY's in this first block (call it sor101) will GOTO one other first level spell granting block (call it Sor102--for my own sanity I might switch them) where all REPLY's will end with EXIT. I will reuse this path whenever (if ever?) two first level spells are granted in a single level. I will reuse the second block whenever a single first level spell is granted. As it will always EXIT, it guarantees an end to the loop. For example,I think that third level grants an additional first level spell. When third level is detected in the first block, it will simply GOTO Sor102. (Sor101 is definitely a better name as the first "1" can signify--to me--spell level, and the last "1"can denote number of spells of that level that will be granted from that block)

Edit: this definitely works, it can detect known spells (oh, with some additional rest() commands) it does not grant endless spells, and (very important for such an ambitious project) is relatively simple. I do like adding spell descriptions. I'll probably add that too.

Edit 3: I just realized that there is a problem with characters created in bgee2. They will get a number of selections of their most recent spells and none of their lower level selections. Just their highest level selections. There will have to be a check at the beginning including !haveanyspell and level check (if other than one)to GOTO an inclusive spell selection set of blocks. Then, I think it'll have to cast a protection vs the summon spell--hopefully that'll work--on the summoner to prevent additional summons/spell selections...it actually might make more sense to make the summon be a selectable spell...I'll have to think and test
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
    Once I figure out (with your help of course) how to get it to work in BGEE, then it will be completely usable and ready for further implementation. The dialogue/script itself is completely done (5500 lines and 8 hours later) and works, currently without error, in IWD:EE (and can be easily ported over to BG2EE, and slightly less easily ported to BGEE).

I'm really sick of scripting and dialogue states but I'm excited as there is a whole new world of possibilities that is now open. :sweat_smile:

Things that I can now do that were previously impossible:
    - Spell lists by kit (duskblade, beguiler, witch... your times have come).
    - Type/school/whatever bonuses by kit (i.e. Pyromancer gets a +2 bonus damage per die for their Evocation [Fire] spells).
    - Divine spontaneous spellcasters! Favored Soul and/or 5e spellcasters anyone?

So many possibilities.....

Questions, suggestions, comments, criticism or ideas welcome, as always.
    KamigoroshiGrammarsalad
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    edited December 2014

Vallmyr said:

I uninstalled all mods and just reinstalled the game; going to try and install it again to see if it works.

Edit: No luck T_T
    Maybe I'm just doing it wrong @_@

Does this happen for all bloodline kits or just for the Sylvan Bloodline? Also, which game/version are you using this on?

EDIT: (12/22) Just tested the Sylvan bloodline on a fresh install of BG:EE. The sorcerer got Sleep (and all other bloodline spells) upon loading into Candlekeep.
    I appear to be having very strange issues >_>

I made a gnome sylvan sorceress and she got all the spells except for sleep, and the 5th level spell.

I then went and made a human revenant sorceress and was missing all the bloodline spells.

Not sure why I'm having these issues even with a fresh install T_T

Going to try and install on my laptop later and see if that's any different.

Just to make sure I'm doing this right; I drag the contents of 'Tome and Blood' into the directory (backup, TRA, data, and Setup_TomeAndBlood.tp2) and run the executable and hit install on everything right?

Edit: Also running it on my steam version of BG:EE.

Making progress. Now have every spell except for sleep! XD

Ok tried again and now have every spell but the 9th level spell.

Very, very odd.
    @Vallmyr , the package is zipped to allow for easy extraction. Be sure to unzip it into your BGEE directory. It is quite odd that the spells you don't receive are changing with every installation. I am actually going to be changing the mechanism that grants these spells in the next patch, so this issue should go away by then.
    GrammarsaladVallmyr
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457

@Vallmyr , the package is zipped to allow for easy extraction. Be sure to unzip it into your BGEE directory. It is quite odd that the spells you don't receive are changing with every installation. I am actually going to be changing the mechanism that grants these spells in the next patch, so this issue should go away by then.

That's good to hear n_n

I love the idea of the Pathfinder bloodlines so can't wait to try it again with the update!

Continue the good work!

Also, thanks again for making it so gnomes can be sorcerers. Fey Blooded Gnome Sorceresses are one of my favorite characters to play in my IRL pathfinder games.
    Vallmyr said:

That's good to hear n_n

I love the idea of the Pathfinder bloodlines so can't wait to try it again with the update!

Continue the good work!

Also, thanks again for making it so gnomes can be sorcerers. Fey Blooded Gnome Sorceresses are one of my favorite characters to play in my IRL pathfinder games.
    I'm glad that you're enjoying the mod. :smile: I have actually started encountering the same error you have described (random bloodline spells not being granted) in IWD:EE, so I'm definitely going to be changing the mechanism.
    The new release (v0.3) of Tome and Blood is now available!

Updates, new kits, loads of new features and more!

The mod and a list of the features (old and new) are both available in the top post of this thread.

Enjoy!
    GrammarsaladKamigoroshiwolpakCahir
    edited January 2015
    The crafting component will have additional options in future editions:

- Brew Potions

- There will be an option to use experience points in lieu of gold to craft consumable magical items.

- There will be an option to allow certain casters to recharge wands (using gold, xp, or both)

- I plan to create more wands

- There may be a 'special ingredients' option that requires users to attain special ingredients in order to craft (and/or recharge) magical items.

Edit: Special thanks to Avenger and Wisp for their Atweaks mod. The item crafting component is a(n imperfect) recreation of the scribe scroll component of that mod.

Edit2: Also special thanks to dib who has given me permission to update his Favored Soul Kit. That work has found a home here.
    KamigoroshiCahir
    Also, I'd love to hear any feedback about item crafting. Anything would be good, but I'd love to hear opinions about cost.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Oh man, @Aquadrizzt and @Grammarsalad this mod becomes soo wonderful:) I went through readme and got a headache now. So many choices for my favorite sorcerer class. Now I can finally play as a disciple of Morueme clan from the Nether Mountains. Heck, I can even create a party of freakin' Morueme disciples in IWD:EE. Oh boy, I just love it!

Tell, me what do you plan next for the mod, apart for development of crafting component Grammarsalad mention?
    I'd love to see proper Hathran and Red Wizard kits somewhere on the line.
    Grammarsalad
    @Cahir , glad you like it.

Next release is probably going to be focused on updating Specialist wizards. I feel like they're kind of bland right now. @Grammarsalad and I already have some ideas on how to accomplish this. Red Wizard and Hathran are definitely being considered. (I actually already had a completed Hathran inspired kit for another mod I was working on, but I can make it even better now that I can do completely customized spell lists.)
    KamigoroshiGrammarsaladCahir
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Heh heh, gotta love all the new and updated options in version 3. My favourite component is no doubtly the Amorphous Sorcerer kit, as well as the draconic color extensions of the Dragon Disciple kit (hip hip hooray for the Black Dragon Disciple)! :3

It is also thrilling to finally be able to craft things now. The fact that the Planar Sphere apprentices could do it but not their master always looked rather questionable and poorly thought out to me in the vanilla games. So it's indeed a welcome component. :smiley:
    Grammarsalad

Heh heh, gotta love all the new and updated options in version 3. My favourite component is no doubtly the Amorphous Sorcerer kit, as well as the draconic color extensions of the Dragon Disciple kit (hip hip hooray for the Black Dragon Disciple)! :3

It is also thrilling to finally be able to craft things now. The fact that the Planar Sphere apprentices could do it but not their master always looked rather questionable and poorly thought out to me in the vanilla games. So it's indeed a welcome component. :smiley:

Glad you like it! Right now the crafting system is not where I want it to be. The Craft Wand component especially needs work (scribe scroll should be fine barring any bugs). I have big plans! :P I also want to get potions in the mix at some point in the near future. I'm also thinking that this new usability system might support things like high level thief magic weapon use and creation, among other things. @aquadrizzt we can tie 'can't use itemtype' to specific.ids entries; to give usability, we should be able to change the character's specific.ids value. So...much...potential!
    Kamigoroshi
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited January 2015

@Cahir , glad you like it.

Next release is probably going to be focused on updating Specialist wizards. I feel like they're kind of bland right now. @Grammarsalad and I already have some ideas on how to accomplish this. Red Wizard and Hathran are definitely being considered. (I actually already had a completed Hathran inspired kit for another mod I was working on, but I can make it even better now that I can do completely customized spell lists.)

That's good to know, I always felt Edwin should have proper kit. I don't mind playing one Thayan bastard too.

There are few more concepts I'd like to see eventually in your mod, guys, so I'll be throwing out ideas if you don't mind. If you find them interesting it'll be splendid. So:
    - Demonologist prestige class from Book of Vile Darkness could be an interesting choice for an evil summoner/conjurer. It could have immense bonuses while dealing with summoned/gated demons or devils and can even turn evil summonings against the original caster.
    Forgotten Realms themed kits:
    - War Wizard of Cormyr from Magic of Faerun book is the one I would play. Especially with some new exclusive spells added.
    - Harper Mage from Magic of Faerun. Well, mainly as a kit for Jaheira, but since Gorion was basically a mage in the service of Harpers, this kit is just perfect for protagonist. But it should have some interesting abilities, cause prestige class in MoF is rather bland.
    - Master Alchemist from Magic of Faerun. This one could benefit from future create potions component Grammarsalad mentioned. AFAIK potions were not that commonly used during the course of the game, maybe except SCS runs where everything counts.
    - Gnome Artificer from Magic of Faerun. Well, that's just perfect kit for Jan, wouldn't you say? It would be fun to have some exclusive kit for a gnome protagonist too.
    There are few more kits in this source book, but not so interesting for me personally.
    - Rune caster from Player's Guide to Faerun looks tasty, but I imagine it would require to develop the whole rune concept which is probably to much of a hassle.
    - Arcane Devotee from Player's Guide to Faerun. It would could be an alternative for players who would like to play religious type, but are tired of clerics and paladins.

So here, few concepts I would like to see some day in this mod:)
    Post edited by Cahir on
    Grammarsalad
  • FunkaveFunkave Member Posts: 31
    Hi, I have found the following bugs with the Magus kit, just during Irenicus dungeon:
    - The dialogue asks me which lvl 4 spells I want, despite I cannot cast them yet. Morever I can choose as many as I like.
    - Melf's meteors set number of attacks to 5 even after they are depleated.
    - The kit has no Thac0 malus for using weapons without proficency
    - The paperdoll does not show the correct armor
    edited January 2015
    Funkave said:

Hi, I have found the following bugs with the Magus kit, just during Irenicus dungeon:
    - The dialogue asks me which lvl 4 spells I want, despite I cannot cast them yet. Morever I can choose as many as I like.
    - Melf's meteors set number of attacks to 5 even after they are depleated.
    - The kit has no Thac0 malus for using weapons without proficency
    - The paperdoll does not show the correct armor

Magus 4th Level Spells: You have encountered a bug I encountered while searching for bugs and that upon reinstalling went away. I honestly do not know the reason for it, but I will look further into this.
    Melf's Minute Meteors: I am pretty sure that this is an error with the spell and not the mod, given that I made no change to Melf's Minute Meteors except changing specialist abilities.
    Magus Proficiency Malus : Found the error.
    Paperdoll Armor : I'll ask @Grammarsalad‌ about that; the animation changing opcode was his.

@Funkave , which game (BG:EE, BG2:EE or IWD:EE) are you playing and what is your current version of the game? (Also, thank you for finding these and reporting them).