Skip to content

Non-Magical Flail or Morning Star? Which is better?

PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
As you know, Flail and Morning Star are two different weapons, but they share the same proficiency.
I wonder why you should choose the Flail over the Morning Star.

- In every shop a Flail is more expensive than a Morning Star.

- A Flail deals 1d6 +1 damages, with an average of 4,5.
A Morning Star deals 2d4 damages, with an average of 5.

- They both have the same speed factor (7).

- A Flail requires 13 strenght, while a Morning Star requires only 11 strenght.

Everything says that a Morning Star is better and cheaper than a Flail.
Do I miss something? Why a better weapon is more expensive than a worse weapon?

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    You're right, it doesn't make much sense.

Of course, keep in mind that comparing non-magical versions is irrelevant for the most part, it all comes down to what magical versions there are of a given weapon type.

And as things are, Flails are superior to Morning Stars there :P In fact, the arguably best 1h weapon in the entire (unmodded) BG series is a Flail.

But yeah, the price difference is a bit strange.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    There are better magical variants of Flails than morning stars (think of BG2 and how good Flails were there), but besides that morning stars > flails save for their coolness factor.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    At least now I know which weapon to buy for my first level character specialized in flail/morning star :)
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Most of the weapon stats make little sense... just look at the katana.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Not sure about this but isn't Flail a reach-Weapon while Morningstar counts as close Melee.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595

In fact, the arguably best 1h weapon in the entire (unmodded) BG series is a Flail.

No it's not. :smiley: It's a hammer. Or a katana. Celestial Fury or Crom Faeyr beats FoA anytime.
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    edited December 2014
    Yannir said:

In fact, the arguably best 1h weapon in the entire (unmodded) BG series is a Flail.

No it's not. :smiley: It's a hammer. Or a katana. Celestial Fury or Crom Faeyr beats FoA anytime.
    Depends, if you're a half orc with 21 strengh by the end of BG2 using it might not be worth it, especially considering how good the components are individually.
    @Meyahi Every pip of strenght is a +1 to Thac0 and dmg so the difference between 25 and 21 is huge actually. It makes a barely battle-useful cleric into a melee beast. And a fighter turns into the Slayer basically.

And none of the components is worth much really, only the belt is a great item. And pretty much by the time you can make Crom, you're in ToB. And you get a better belt there. Ofc, it depends on the team you are running. I can still only imagine bards or F/M's to benefit from GoOP rather than any of the strength-belts. There are 4 of them after all.
    @Blackraven I'd definitely combine FoA and Crom for the cleric. They're especially good for a dual-classed cleric.

And you don't even need DUHM when u have Crom. Pre-combat buffing is tedious at best.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    edited December 2014
    Crom Faeyr, as a cleric off-hand? No thanks, I'll take the Defender of Easthaven instead. Crom Faeyr is only useful if you're not gonna buff, and if you're not gonna buff why are you running a cleric?
    Jarrakul said:

Crom Faeyr, as a cleric off-hand? No thanks, I'll take the Defender of Easthaven instead. Crom Faeyr is only useful if you're not gonna buff, and if you're not gonna buff why are you running a cleric?

I don't have DoE since I dont have the extra merchants-pack. Only in BP2 I've seen it.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Wait, you have BP2 and not the extra merchants pack? Are you sure? I didn't think that was possible. O_o
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    I did not get extra merchants when I purchased BG2-ToB Collector Edition. It is available though, along with many other excellent features which can be individually installed or passed over, in the mainstream mod BG Tweaks from Gibberlings 3.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

I did not get extra merchants when I purchased BG2-ToB Collector Edition. It is available though, along with many other excellent features which can be individually installed or passed over, in the mainstream mod BG Tweaks from Gibberlings 3.

How can you play black pits though ?