Skip to content

Weapon Capabilities per class

This is going to seem like a very "noob(er)" question considering the many, many years I've played Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights and Dark Alliance, but here goes...

Why can clerics/mages not use certain weapons such as greatswords? Is it a discipline thing? Strength? Divine restrictions?

All this time I didn't question it and just enjoyed the game as is, but I've always been subconsciously curious about it :)

Hope you all had good holidays! :D

Comments

• FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    It's kind of a boring, arbitrary thing. It's taken from 2E D&D rules which made the restrictions I guess for balance reasons and pushing people towards certain archetypes to fit the RP setting. The text descriptions given in game say "'religious reasons" for clerics/druids, and for mages I think it just says they "can't use" them but you'd expect bullshit reasons for bullshit restrictions.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    If my memory is correct, technically BG2 is supposed to be 3E, since that edition is supposed to coincide with the end of the Time of Troubles. The idea is that the event screwed up with the laws of physics and resulted in a different ruleset. So BG2 clerics should be able to use greatswords, though they don't start out with proficiencies in them, like fighters do.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    No BG2 was still 2E. No cleric will ever use an edged weapon. Weapon restrictions are faith based for the cleric. For the mage, it's just that they can only use the simpleist of weapons.

And yes, most PNP gamers look at those restrictions and make a lot of changes. But BG uses the core rules. It's only fair; if it calls itself 2E (and it does), it should follow the actual 2E rules.
    I meant chronologically, it's supposed to be 3E. I know the devs always planned on making it a 2E game.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    I'm just glad they didn't decide to do Fall-From-Grace's (Planescape: Torment) philosophy where the faithful cannot use *ANY* weapons when displaying their divine power.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    You've also mentioned mages, right? Well, in their case it is because , as a roleplaying rule, study of magic is so intense that it does not give you much time learn how to handle martial weapons . They are allowed to use staves and daggers because these are commonly used in magic incantations.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    edited December 2014
    Right. So next 2E character I make is gonna be a mage from a magical tradition that uses greatswords as ritual implements. :P

Yeah, I think weapon restrictions are dumb.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2014

If my memory is correct, technically BG2 is supposed to be 3E, since that edition is supposed to coincide with the end of the Time of Troubles. The idea is that the event screwed up with the laws of physics and resulted in a different ruleset. So BG2 clerics should be able to use greatswords, though they don't start out with proficiencies in them, like fighters do.

2E coincides with the start of the Time of Troubles (but obviously people are free to set their games with whatever edition they want at whatever time they want). That is why 2nd edition sourcebooks (like Faith's and Avatars, the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting for 2nd edition, etc) are set after 1358.

Anyways, the weapon restrictions are also partly the fault of the games engine. There are specialty priests for the various gods in 2E that can use bladed weapons (Demarchs of Mask can use daggers for instance), its just a pain to implement this in the game (without giving all clerics access to these weapons) because of how the engine works.
    Ah, I must have been mistaken.
  • What about druids? I get that they'd rather use natural things (wood and so on) to protect themselves/others but technically iron and other forms of metal are still part of the natural world.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    The cleric weapon restrictions originate from 1st edition. It was based on an idea from medievil crusader-priests working round "not shedding blood" by using blunt weapons.

When 1st ed was first published, FR deities where not fully developed, so clerics where pseudo-christian.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    @lunar Maybe the sling is a common weapon that children play with around Baldur's Gate, shooting squirrels and the gargoyles of Candlekeep. :smiley:

Learning to shoot a sling as a child, then beginning studies in magic at puberty, imo is not out of the question.
  • Yannir said:

@lunar Maybe the sling is a common weapon that children play with around Baldur's Gate, shooting squirrels and the gargoyles of Candlekeep. :smiley:

Learning to shoot a sling as a child, then beginning studies in magic at puberty, imo is not out of the question.

If they can hit squirrels and gargoyles in Candlekeep from Baldur's Gate then they should definitely not waste time on magic ;p
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

If they can hit squirrels and gargoyles in Candlekeep from Baldur's Gate then they should definitely not waste time on magic ;p

There's a big difference between knocking off a few squirrels and being able to do massive damage with spells like Fireball.

I don't know about that. If you can hurl a stone from Baldur's Gate to Candlekeep you could probably eat fireballs for breakfast and shave with lightning bolts.

I see. I missed that reference. If you can hurl a stone that far, by all means avoid magic lessons.

• Belanos said:

There's a big difference between knocking off a few squirrels and being able to do massive damage with spells like Fireball.

Not for the squirrel :P
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Well if you were a squirrel, wouldn't you rather be roasted by a fireball? :smiley: Down in flames!
  • Yannir said:

Well if you were a squirrel, wouldn't you rather be roasted by a fireball? :smiley: Down in flames!

Depends if you're a miniature giant space squirrel xD

Also, do these rules/logics apply even if the person is in mortal danger? i.e. druid going to die unless if they pick up the sword and use it.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Yannir said:

I think I've seen enough squirrels taking out the power by getting shocked in transformers to know they have a preference to electrical deaths instead of fire-based deaths.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

Yannir said:

Also, do these rules/logics apply even if the person is in mortal danger? i.e. druid going to die unless if they pick up the sword and use it.
    They'd lose all of their class abilities until they received an atonement spell and did a quest iirc.

I think I've seen enough squirrels taking out the power by getting shocked in transformers to know they have a preference to electrical deaths instead of fire-based deaths.

No, it just means they have less resistance to electrical damage. Or maybe a higher resistance to fire damage.

• skinnydragonskinnydragon Member Posts: 110
    Wowo said:

Yannir said:

They'd lose all of their class abilities until they received an atonement spell and did a quest iirc.
    Although I believe the quest is supposed to reflect the nature and circumstances of the offence. Minor issues with the right reason should be fairly simple. But total disregard for the rules.of your order should involve unarmed dragon slaying or something similar.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Right. If a druid uses a mace because it's the only weapon on hand to defend the forest from rampaging demon lumberjacks, she'll probably get let off pretty easy. If a druid uses a mace to beat a deer to death for kicks, she'll probably have a much harder time atoning.