Skip to content

The Hitchhiker's Guide to Installing Mods on OSX

Comments

• PugrogPugrog Member Posts: 4
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @AstroBryGuy‌ would you mind updating the first post about the OSX binary… It doesn't need to be mavericks or snow leopard anymore (the latest version of WeiDU v237 runs in all the OSX operative systems that aren't 32bits or either PPC).
    elminsterAstroBryGuy
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited November 2014
    CrevsDaak said:

@AstroBryGuy‌ would you mind updating the first post about the OSX binary… It doesn't need to be mavericks or snow leopard anymore (the latest version of WeiDU v237 runs in all the OSX operative systems that aren't 32bits or either PPC).

Done! Thanks for the note.
    CrevsDaak
  • BiancoBianco Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2014

@AstroBryGuy‌ when i try to run './setup-bg1npc' it says no such file or directory. In the resources folder there is the file setup-bg1npc so i don't know what is going wrong!

I'm having this problem. On entering the command, a shortcut to the folder appears in Resources (next to the actual folder), but still, "no such file or directory".
    edited November 2014
    @Bianco - Did you copy the weidu program into the Resources folder?

Get a copy of Mac WeiDU here: http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/.

Unzip the archive and copy the 'weidu' program file from the WeiDU-Mac folder to the Resources folder.
    CrevsDaak
    I've updated the guide to include references to IWDEE and a link to @subtledoctor‌'s Easy Mod Installer for OSX.

PS - Steam & GOG OSX users, I need to know the folders to which BGEE/BG2EE/IWDEE apps are installed. Please post the information here and I'll update the first post.

Thanks!
  • RyrokRyrok Member Posts: 5
    FWIW, to get to the install directory of BG:EE on OS X via Steam use:

cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ Enhanced\ Edition/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition.app/Contents/Resources/
    AstroBryGuy
    @Ryrok - Thanks!
    edited December 2014
    chmod a+rw -R [resource folder]
    That will allow read/write permissions to everything in the Resource folder and any subfolders.

Since some mods ship "OSX versions" with binaries (sox, tisunpack, etc.) and shell scripts that don't have the execute bit turned on. You could turn on the execute bit too.
    chmod a+rwx -R [resource folder]
    Technically, this turns on the execute bit for everything in the Resources folder. So, it's not really the greatest idea. You could try to find all instances of tisunpack, sox, .sh files, etc.. and flip the execute bit individually.

find . -type f \(-name "tisunpack" -o -name "sox" -o -name "*.sh" \) | while read -r file;
    do
    chmod a+x "$file"
    done
    jackjackCrevsDaak
    Any malware could ship with the bit set (if they know what they are doing). I guess it's just my UN*X sensibilities to not set the execute bit on hundreds of non-executable files. :smile:

And are you serious on the GOG folders? Apps inside of apps? :expressionless:

Does the "inner app" appear as an app that you have to right click to get to it's Resource folder? i.e., is this the appropriate navigation instructions?

Go to Applications, select Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition.app
    RIght click on the app and select "Show Package Contents"
    Go to Contents/Resources/game, select IcewindDale.app
    Right click on the app and select "Show Package Contents"
    Go to Contents/Resources
    jackjack
    That actually sounds like a really good idea!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    jackjackCrevsDaak
  • NebNeb Member Posts: 20
    Unfortunately I am lost. For several reasons. I would be very glad if someone could help me.
    1. I downloaded the newest WeiDU but I just don't know what to do. I have put the folder 'WeiDU-Mac' to the resource folder. Do I have to install it seperately?
    2. In the resource folder should there be e.g. the folder 'osx-bg2_tweaks-v16' or the folder 'bg2_tweaks'?
    3. After using the command './setup-MODNAME' nothing happens.
    4. When I write ls -al the following list appears:
    drwxr-xrwx 34 root wheel 1156 1 Jan 23:43 .
    drwxr-xr-x 8 root wheel 272 1 Jan 07:39 ..
    drwxr-xrwx@ 5 root wheel 170 1 Jan 22:49 BPSeries_v03121
    drwxr-xrwx@ 15 root wheel 510 10 Nov 15:28 BackBrynnlaw
    -rw-r--rw- 1 root wheel 2165788 15 Nov 2013 BaldursGateII.icns
    drwxr-xrwx@ 20 root wheel 680 1 Jan 07:22 ISNF
    drwxr-xrwx@ 3 root wheel 102 1 Jan 23:37 OSX-BackBrynnlaw_v4
    drwxr-xrwx 3 root wheel 102 1 Jan 23:37 OSX-BanterPacks_V14
    drwxr-xrwx 3 root wheel 102 1 Jan 23:37 OSX-DungeonBeGone_V17
    drwxr-xrwx@ 3 root wheel 102 1 Jan 23:37 OSX-UnfinishedBusiness-v25
    drwxr-xrwx 3 root wheel 102 1 Jan 23:37 OSX-Weimer-ItemUpgrade-v40
    drwxr-xrwx@ 3 root wheel 102 1 Jan 23:37 Tales of the Deep Gardens v10.0
    drwxr-xrwx@ 31 root wheel 1054 1 Jan 23:15 TotDG
    drwxr-xrwx@ 16 root wheel 544 1 Jan 23:15 WeiDU-Mac
    drwxr-xrwx@ 20 root wheel 680 3 Okt 2013 amber
    drwxr-xrwx@ 9 root wheel 306 1 Jan 07:22 arestorationp
    drwxr-xrwx@ 19 root wheel 646 1 Jan 22:49 atweaks
    drwxr-xrwx@ 22 root wheel 748 15 Nov 2013 banterpack
    drwxr-xrwx@ 21 root wheel 714 13 Okt 15:44 bg2_tweaks
    drwxr-xrwx@ 24 root wheel 816 31 Jul 2013 c2
    -rw-r--rw- 1 root wheel 843510 15 Nov 2013 chitin.key
    drwxr-xrwx 187 root wheel 6358 15 Nov 2013 data
    drwxr-xrwx@ 10 root wheel 340 1 Jan 23:15 imoenfriendship
    drwxr-xrwx@ 23 root wheel 782 5 Feb 2014 jassy
    drwxr-xrwx 3 root wheel 102 15 Nov 2013 lang
    drwxr-xrwx 26 root wheel 884 15 Nov 2013 movies
    drwxr-xrwx 204 root wheel 6936 15 Nov 2013 music
    drwxr-xrwx 3 root wheel 102 1 Jan 23:37 osx-amber-v4
    drwxr-xrwx@ 3 root wheel 102 1 Jan 23:37 osx-bg2_tweaks-v16
    drwxr-xrwx 2 root wheel 68 15 Nov 2013 override
    drwxr-xrwx@ 7 root wheel 238 11 Nov 2013 sarevokfriendship
    drwxr-xrwx@ 3 root wheel 102 1 Jan 23:37 sarevokfriendship_v1.2
    drwxr-xrwx 28 root wheel 952 15 Nov 2013 scripts
    drwxr-xrwx@ 38 root wheel 1292 2 Okt 21:12 ub
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Neb‌ you have to place weidu in the Resources folder, unpackage all mods (the folder named like the .tp2 or the folder with the .tp2 should be in the Resources folder too) and type in
    ln -s weidu setup-[name of the mod you'd like to install]
    ./setup-[name of the mod you'd like to install]
    AstroBryGuy
    edited January 2015
    Neb said:

Unfortunately I am lost. For several reasons. I would be very glad if someone could help me.
    1. I downloaded the newest WeiDU but I just don't know what to do. I have put the folder 'WeiDU-Mac' to the resource folder. Do I have to install it seperately?
    2. In the resource folder should there be e.g. the folder 'osx-bg2_tweaks-v16' or the folder 'bg2_tweaks'?
    3. After using the command './setup-MODNAME' nothing happens.

1. Copy the program file 'weidu' from the WeiDU-Mac folder into the Resources folder. The actual executable binary needs to be in the resource folder.

2. OSX tries to be nice and expands archives into their own folder. You don't want that here. Copy the contents of the archive folder into the Resources folder. So, for bg2_tweaks, copy the folder "bg2_tweaks" into the resource folder.

Note: Some mods put their .tp2 file outside the mod's main folder (usually called "setup-MODNAME.tp2, where MODNAME is the same as the mod's folder). In that case, you also need the .tp2 file.

3. Once you have weidu and the correct mod folders in the Resources folder, enter the following commands:
    ln -s weidu setup-MODNAME
    ./setup-MODNAME
    where MODNAME is the name of the folder the mod's files are in. For bg2_tweaks, the commands would be:
    ln -s weidu setup-bg2_tweaks
    ./setup-bg2_tweaks
    EDIT: Ninja'd by @CrevsDaak‌! :smile:
    CrevsDaak
  • NebNeb Member Posts: 20
    Thank you so much for your answers, it seems that I was overambitious and deleted too many files: instead of trashing only 'setup-amber' I destroyed 'setup-amber.command' and 'setup-amber.tp2' as well. In the case of Amber there is a folder 'amber', 'setup-amber', 'setup-amber.command' and 'setup-amber.tp2': Here I delete 'setup-amber', put 'setup-amber.command' and 'setup-amber.tp2' into the folder 'amber' and this folder into resources, right? I am sorry for being so complicated, but usually I really mess up things like this. :)
    You only need setup-amber.tp2 and the amber folder. The setup-amber.command file is just a shell script to run the setup-amber file you're not using.
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    I followed exactly all the steps as it says. But it doesn't seem to install anything. I tried both options in step #4, and yet I always get the same thing in Terminal. For example, for Dungeon be Gone:

./setup-jassy
    -bash: ./setup-jassy: is a directory

Ok, is a directory, sure, but what you don't install it?
    :-(
    edited January 2015

I followed exactly all the steps as it says. But it doesn't seem to install anything. I tried both options in step #4, and yet I always get the same thing in Terminal. For example, for Dungeon be Gone:

./setup-jassy
    -bash: ./setup-jassy: is a directory

Ok, is a directory, sure, but what you don't install it?
    :-(

1. Copy the program file 'weidu' from the WeiDU-Mac folder into the Resources folder. Don't copy the entire folder. The actual executable binary needs to be in the Resources folder.

2. DungeonBeGone is not playing nice having its main folder called "jassy" while the .tp2 file is setup-DungeonBeGone.tp2. The two should be MODNAME for the main folder and setup-MODNAME.tp2 for the tp2 file. So, for DungeonBeGone, do:
    ln -s weidu setup-DungeonBeGone
    ./setup-DungeonBeGone
    MonoCanalla

I've got a method planned out:

check for BGEE Resources alias on desktop
    -if not present, check for one of the four possible BGEE folders
    --upon finding one,
    ---set permissions (I guess only necessary for the App Store folder?)
    ---create a Desktop alias
    ---check if weidu is present
    ----if not, copy weidu from within the mod installer app
    ----end if
    ---end if
    --end if
    -end if
    repeat for BG2EE
    repeat for IWDEE
    build list of games present (0, 1, 2, or all 3)
    ask user to choose which game they want to work with, or quit
    set the proper directory for the chosen game to a variable
    use that variable and then run the mod installer as it already works now

That should take care of the messy permissions stuff, and create nice aliases for easy access to the resource folders, and enable it to run from anywhere, rather than from within the game folders.

I know all of that is possible with Applescript; I just don't yet know the code to actually do it. Once I have some free time I'll figure it out.

Btw it looks like my post above was correct on the path to the GOG versions: it's apps within apps. Weird!
    @subtledoctor‌ - I was going through messages in the thread, and I stumbled on one I'd forgotten about from @Wisp:
    @AstroBryGuy‌
    HANDLE_* should take care of the executable bit transparently (for sox etc., but not WeiDU itself, obviously). If they don't, please report it so it can be fixed.
    This would alleviate execute permission issues with sox, tisunpack, etc.. binaries assuming the mods use WeiDU's HANDLE_* functions. Unfortunately, this isn't always a good assumption. I still see lots of mods shipping with .bat files and .sh files for audio processing.

There is still the read/write permission issue on Mac App Store downloads. So, that definitely needs to be included in the Mac Mod Installer Tool. It looks like Steam, GOG, and Beamdog install as the user, which is good.
    jackjack
    @AstroBryGuy That should be it, Ill try later at home. Thanks.
  • Jenova4Jenova4 Member Posts: 3
    I've tried now following the directions in this thread, but now after selecting the language this happens:

Using Language [American English]

Using lang/en_us/dialog.tlk

Couldn't open the readme: file not found.
    Continuing despite error.

Install Component [UNDEFINED STRING: @0]?
    [I]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? q
    ERROR: No translation provided for @32
    ERROR: No translation provided for @201
    ERROR: No translation provided for @108

Press ENTER to exit.

I don't know how to fix this, or what I did wrong.
  • Jenova4Jenova4 Member Posts: 3
    And now it worked and I have no idea why.
    jackjack
    edited January 2015
    Can somebody tell me what this problem is?

for the time i have to "teleport" to a new location in Saerilth quest and in Amber quest, the new area doesn't load, and the game crashes. First time it happened with Saerileth and that time I could actually load in but I could only see the characters over a black background, yet I could see the graphics of the area in the map. And every time i moved the camera it became a soup of pixels. I deleted all the mods and started again.

This second time it just crashes. And does with Amber too. Losing Saerileth is ok, but I was liking to have Amber. Is there a solution for this, specially by not having to lose the save I have?

PS: Also this second time I installed all this mods I experienced the lack of the flirts. I remember in the first game i had one girl in the inn in the Promenade and another one in the Temple of Helm doing flirtation, also I saw Eldoth in the inn; now in this game nothing of that has happened. I am afraid of losing mods I think will work.

EDIT: Oh, and also now it is crashing when I enter the sewers, which is an old area, not something that comes in a mod. This one is unacceptable, i can not play more like this, I need a way trough.
    Post edited by MonoCanalla on

Can somebody tell me what this problem is?

for the time i have to "teleport" to a new location in Saerilth quest and in Amber quest, the new area doesn't load, and the game crashes. First time it happened with Saerileth and that time I could actually load in but I could only see the characters over a black background, yet I could see the graphics of the area in the map. And every time i moved the camera it became a soup of pixels. I deleted all the mods and started again.

This second time it just crashes. And does with Amber too. Losing Saerileth is ok, but I was liking to have Amber. Is there a solution for this, specially by not having to lose the save I have?

PS: Also this second time I installed all this mods I experienced the lack of the flirts. I remember in the first game i had one girl in the inn in the Promenade and another one in the Temple of Helm doing flirtation, also I saw Eldoth in the inn; now in this game nothing of that has happened. I am afraid of losing mods I think will work.

EDIT: Oh, and also now it is crashing when I enter the sewers, which is an old area, not something that comes in a mod. This one is unacceptable, i can not play more like this, I need a way trough.

I don't use either of the mods you mention, Saerileth or Amber, and if there are any other mods installed, you don't mention them except to refer to "all the mods", so I have no idea what you've actually got installed.

However, the first issue sounds like problems with the tilesets for the added areas. When you installed the mods, did you see error messages regarding installation of area tilesets?

I took a look at Saerileth's download, and there is no OSX version. It does not ship with an OSX version of tisunpack. To install the areas, you'll have to add tisunpack. Go into the mod's folder and look for a folder called "tiz" go into that folder and you'll see a bunch of files with .tiz extensions and a "win32" folder. Create a new folder here and call it osx.

Now, included with the WeiDU v237 download should have been a binary file called tisunpack. Copy this file into that "osx" folder you created.

If you re-install the mod, the area tilesets should successfully install.

If you're having a similar problem with Amber, that's likely the issue there as well.