Skip to content

Dragon Fights too Easy

Is it that I'm just lucky or Dragon fights are too easy? or the Weapons in ToB are too powerful.

I recalled 2 instances where dragons died within SECONDS after being hit by Silver Sword.
I got 3 mages in my party, 2 of them casts Lower Resistance and 1 of the cast Greater Malison. Then Sarevok moved in with his Silver Sword and hit the dragon a couple of times, and it died!

Other instances when I fight Dragons, they turned into Squirrels in no time.
Again the same tactics, 3 mages, 2-3 Lower Resistance and 1 Greater Malison.
And lots of Polymorph Other. With Robe of Vecna and Improve Clarity, those castings can be done in no time!
And watch those dragons turned into squirrels.

This is NOT fair, they are suppose to be "fearsome" dragons!

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Same thing has happened to me. It's more of the party and equipment you have working together than a limitation in the dragon's ability. Try playing on a higher difficulty if you find it to easy, or install SCS.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    You do know that the Silver Sword is a "vorpal sword", right? It has a chance to instantly kill anything it hits. In the case where Sarevok got the kill with the sword, you probably did get a lucky roll.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595

You do know that the Silver Sword is a "vorpal sword", right? It has a chance to instantly kill anything it hits. In the case where Sarevok got the kill with the sword, you probably did get a lucky roll.

Sarevok also has the Deathbringer Assault which is instant 200 damage when it hits. That would bring even dragons down pretty fast.
  • bernardchubernardchu Member Posts: 44
    elminster said:

You've got 3 mages in your group and access to HLA's. You are also using the Robe of Vecna. Any fight is going to be easy.

Even before I got my HLA, Dragon fights still easy. It may take "longer" to kill them without Improve clarity but again these dragons keep falling from the same old tactics. 2x Lower Resistance, 1x Greater Malison and Lots of Polymorph Other. Rinse and Repeat.

HLA is not really necessary, in fact I don't think I even need Robe of Vecna.

You can "package" up 2x Lower Resistance and 1x Greater Malison in a SPELL TRIGGER.
    And "package" up 3x Polymorph Other in a SPELL SEQUENCER.

Hit the dragons with these 2 packages and the fight is over in no time! HLA, Robe of Vecna or not.

Yeah I know that. Still, I think Vorpal is a cheap shot to kill dragon. At least the Dev team could've make Dragon immune to instant kill like that.

With a Greater Malison, that Vorpal sword is even more deadlier to Dragons.
    edited January 2015
    Btw, SPELL SEQUENCER and SPELL TRIGGER are probably the best spells you can use in any boss fight.

I remember tearing down Irenicus defenses really quickly with these spells. And once they're down, my warrior easily beat up Irenicus to tears.

A good trick to use to tear down enemy defenses in group is to Package up 2x Remove Magics and 1x Greater Malison in a Spell Trigger. And give this to your highest level mage.
    edited January 2015
    Mind you, I killed more dragons using Polymorph other trick than getting lucky shot with Vorpal.

In my opinion, Polymorph Other spell is waaaay to powerful spell to be placed in 4th Level place.
    This transformation is permanent, and anyone transformed in a squirrel is as good as dead.
    Therefore Polymorph Other is "comparable" to Imprisonment Spell.

Eventhough Polymorph Other allow Saves but Imprisonment doesn't, mind you Polymorph Other only take 4 casting time, whereas Imprisonment take 9!

Polymorph Other occupy 4th Level slot which mean you can have lots and lots copies, whereas Imprisonment is Level 9 spell.

Because of Polymorph Other is Level 4 spell, you can string 3x of them in a SPELL SEQUENCER. You can't do that with Imprisonment. Coupled with Greater Malison, Polymorph Other is ALMOST the same as Imprisonment. With being 4th Level spell, you can machine gun Polymorph Other and you got yourself an Imprisonment spell on steroid.

For the above mentioned reasons, I think Polymorph Other should be a (at least) level 7 spell, or maybe even 8th.

I turned so many Dragons into squirrels, now I pretty much see Dragons as very angry squirrels with wings.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2015

elminster said:

You've got 3 mages in your group and access to HLA's. You are also using the Robe of Vecna. Any fight is going to be easy.

Even before I got my HLA, Dragon fights still easy. It may take "longer" to kill them without Improve clarity but again these dragons keep falling from the same old tactics. 2x Lower Resistance, 1x Greater Malison and Lots of Polymorph Other. Rinse and Repeat.

HLA is not really necessary, in fact I don't think I even need Robe of Vecna.

You can "package" up 2x Lower Resistance and 1x Greater Malison in a SPELL TRIGGER.
    And "package" up 3x Polymorph Other in a SPELL SEQUENCER.

Hit the dragons with these 2 packages and the fight is over in no time! HLA, Robe of Vecna or not.
    Its Improved Alacrity for the record. The only thing an Improved Clarity spell would probably tell a mage is to not cast Improved Clarity in the middle of a fight with a dragon :)

The sequencers are both high level mage spells and 2nd edition D&D in particular makes high level mages super powerful next to other classes (and this is just more pronounced in BG2 because you don't need ingredients or days of prep time for spells).
  • UndesirableUndesirable Member Posts: 4
    It's pretty obvious that if you employ metagaming stratagies against vanilla dragons that have been proven to work, and you have acquired endgame items and high-level abilities then they are going to die easily.

If you want to beef dragons up a bit, you're going to have to employ mods, such as Sword Coast Stratagems.
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/scs/
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Dragon fights are easy once you get access to Improved Haste. Hell, Dragon Fights are doable once you get Breach. How easy they are is dependable on the set-up.

4 melee characters with improved haste wailing on a dragon that just had its protections removed and have buffed up strength are gonna basically destroy it in about a minute unless mods are used to make it stronger.

This same set up with one of the melee characters casting harm and the others use greater whirlwind while the mage casts Chain Contingency/Time Stop + Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting x3 is gonna destroy it even harder.

Add in High Level summons and most enemies end-game are gonna be easy street. It's really the hordes that give you the trouble later in the game. Endurance runs against multiple tough enemies > One single strong enemy.
    I agree, the hardest fights in the game are actually against a horde of lower level enemies.
    Boss fights are easy ass, because they're not usually in a horde, or just a group of 3-4, not enough to overwhelm and cause problem.

I remember, the hardest fight I experienced in BG2 is in Underdark against a group of high level Mind Flayers. There is an area in Mind Flayer base in Underdark where leading into the room you have to go through a super narrow corridor. Your party just got jammed stuck in the corridor.

As soon as you open the door at the end of the corridor, you got 3 umber hulks and half a dozen of Mind Flayers coming at you. Mind Flayer got an instant death Brain Eating attack which cannot be blocked by Death Ward.

I tried summoning a bunch of monsters to block off the Mind Flayers advance, but they are too smart to buy into my trap, a few Mind Flayers just ignored my summons squeeze through them and eat my party members brains. Plus the umber hulks just smashed through all my summons within seconds.

The trouble is Mind Flayers are hugely magic resistance, they have unblockable instant death melee attack, they can charm, confuse, stun at will. The only save way to kill them is by using summons as cannon fodder and bang them with range weapons. But when they have 3 umber hulks as bodyguards, that change everything!

It was a really really hard fight, one that I had to reload so many times.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    With the proper strategy (there are multiple for each fight), there is no hard fight in the vanilla game.
    Dragons die to magic easily and to melee maybe even more (poison weapon + 4 APR + improved haste = dead dragon in seconds)
    Mind flayers cannot do anything against mordy sword
    @BelgarathMTH, Thanks for the info. I didnt know sequencer only allow for one save.

The fights with guardians in Watcher's keep are way harder than dragons EVEN with very well equipped party. The problem is not the dragon, the problem is a LONE dragon.

You can pick the hardest most fearsome monster, but overwhelmed by 6 well equipped party no matter how fearsome the monster is, they'll go down in no time. The dev team couldn've make the dragon fight more interesting if they add backups for the dragon.
  • UndesirableUndesirable Member Posts: 4

The trouble is Mind Flayers are hugely magic resistance, they have unblockable instant death melee attack, they can charm, confuse, stun at will. The only save way to kill them is by using summons as cannon fodder and bang them with range weapons. But when they have 3 umber hulks as bodyguards, that change everything!

I don't think Mind Flayers are immune to invisibility or backstabbing in vanilla. You can lay down traps in the next room, backstab, lure them over the traps, quaff potion of invisibility, wait 5 secs, backstab, cast mislead in another room, backstab-nuke, etc. Not as easily accomplished in the Sword Coast Stratagems mod, of course.
  • DemaniusDemanius Member Posts: 51
    Mind flayers. Lots of ranged attacks against them use chaotic commands and just summon skeleton or greater skeleton warriors no brain to eat :smiley: for them to fight.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It's worth pointing out that Polymorph Other gives a save bonus of 2. Feeblemind is a better bet, with its save penalty of -2. Not that we really need a better way of disabling dragons. SCS2 makes them more challenging, and in general is the best mod ever made for BG2, anyway. I'd recommend if for everybody who's played the game more than once.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2015

It's worth pointing out that Polymorph Other gives a save bonus of 2.

Not in the vanilla no. Mods may change that.

That said Feeblemind will work more frequently both because of the -2 penalty it has for enemies saving against it and because dragons have a save vs polymorph that is 2 less (aka better) than their save vs spell. So a dragon might normally have say 3 for their save vs polymorph while having 5 for their save vs spell.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    You want a difficult fight? Go to the Den of Seven Vales immediately after leaving Chateau Irenicus, climb to the second floor and deal with the angry gang there. You're going to be in some trouble.

In other words, the game is probably at its hardest when you're below level 10, don't have six people in your group and do not have access to the best items. Even if you're only facing a small band of gangsters. Later on, once you start nearing godlike XP levels, there's essentially nothing (short of cheese) that could be thrown at you that you couldn't dismantle or obliterate quite easily. That's just the way the mechanism works in 2nd edition AD&D.