Skip to content

Choose-a-character Poll

DraekinDraekin Member Posts: 40
So, I would like some feedback on some RP character backgrounds. I have 3 characters to choose from, and I'm curious to know which character people find the most fun/interesting/novel. I am thinking about doing a play-through of whichever character is chosen, and perhaps posting my progress along the way.

Evincar the Half-Elf Avenger Druid
This half-elf was raised as a human, amongst humans, but has always felt a calling toward the wilderness and his elven blood. Evincar is not a particularly large or strong fellow, and his temperment is mellow. He is wise-beyond-his-years, and he, being charismatic, convinced Gorion to allow him to leave the Candlekeep walls daily to meditate in the woodland hills nearby. As his meditative practices increased, he grew wiser and more intuitive, but also grew less tolerant of the unnatural cities and man-made structures that destroyed the beauty of the earth. Evincar believed quite strongly that nature gifted its secrets to those wise enough to hear its quiet whispers, and began developing his talent for such divine magic at an early age. He had immense respect for Gorion's own abilities as well, even learning some arcane magic from his foster father. After seeing Gorion cut down, he vowed to avenge his death.

Mikhail the Human Priest of Lathander
Father Mikhail, as he is now called, grew up with a fascination for the divine. He spent years in Candlekeep reading and learning, studying the ancient gods, especially Lathander. When he was just 14, he was sworn into the faith, but his long hours of studying by the firelight led him to seek comfort in high quality meads. Before he knew it, he was secretly brewing his own honey-wine and drinking several pints daily while maintaining his work in the temple. He was an unusually imposing man for a priest – considerably larger than many of the Candlekeep guards. In fact, most everyone knew not to anger Mikhail while he was busy reading or tending to his duties, lest you get on his bad side. Mikhail has a low CON, but high STR and is prone to anger quickly; he will also require several pints of mead whenever the party spends the night at an inn.

Gohn the Human Barbarian
A lover of the wilderness by nature, Gohn never felt right within the walls of Candlekeep. He would sleep under the stars every chance he got, and purposefully tested himself physically and mentally. But the scholarly tutelage of Gorion was not lost on the barbarian, and he learned well how to control his body and mind, becoming ever-more one with the natural world around him. He knew himself not to be himself alone, but to be, underneath it all, the wild spirit of the universe. After seeing Gorion cut down before his eyes, despite his extensive knowledge of the arcane arts, Gohn's hatred for such an unnatural act grew strong – but his extensive body-mind training allows him to harness his rage against the arcane. He has unusually high INT and WIS for a Barbarian, and will only undergo “Rage” when fighting a magic-user.
  1. Choose-a-character Poll58 votes
    1. Avenger Druid
      36.21%
    2. Priest of Lathander
      37.93%
    3. Barbarian
      25.86%
JuliusBorisovRavenslightlolienkcwiserufus_hobart

Comments

• CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    The drunken priest for sure! It was a hard choice between Mikhail and Gohn, but the priest won me over. Please post your progress along the way, whichever character you choose
    Draekinlolien
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Barbarian, although I really liked the avenger as well.
    Draekin
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Barbarians are stupid good, and not always stupid! But they can use the Stupefier in BGEE to make other enemies feel stupid, and you'd have to be REAL stupid to fight a barbarian with off-hand Defender of Easthaven + any weapon you want in the main hand in BG2EE.
    Draekin
  • DraekinDraekin Member Posts: 40

Barbarians are stupid good, and not always stupid! But they can use the Stupefier in BGEE to make other enemies feel stupid, and you'd have to be REAL stupid to fight a barbarian with off-hand Defender of Easthaven + any weapon you want in the main hand in BG2EE.

This had me laughing. But you also brought up a good point: I'm going to carry this character into BG2:EE as well, and since I've never played BG2:EE before it will be an exciting experience for myself, as well as (hopefully) anyone following my posts.

P.S. Thanks to everyone who is participating/commenting. This is an amazing community of people, very helpful, knowledgeable, and courteous.
    lolien
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I picked the priest because I've used his name before on one of my own characters. I've grown fond of it.

Then I actually read his bio and decided I liked him as a character too. So there ya go. XD
    Blackravenlolien
  • DraekinDraekin Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2015
    OK, so I would definitely like people to continue voting (as I may do multiple playthroughs based on feedback), but I got anxious and already started a playthrough with Gohn the Barbarian. I will post the first part of the story in the Challenges and Playthroughs section, and EDIT with the link to that thread here as well.

Thanks!!

EDIT: Here is a link to the already-started play-through with Gohn the Barbarian
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/38324/gohn-the-barbarian-rp-play-through?new=1
    BlackravenFinneousPJjackjacklolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Insect Plague+Insect Plague + polymorph into a sword spider = nearly everyone will be dead : )

P.S. What did you choose? How's the progress?
    lolien
  • GarrusN7GarrusN7 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 155
    Priest... lolz he is funny
    lolienBlackraven
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    The Barbarian path will certainly be the one giving you the least headaches with those pesky 'spells' bugs (or not bugs) under the various (super) 'corrected' EE version (!).. the most straightforward too, and special fighting abilities in itself actually (!), and so.. the most fun almost certainly, all in all (between those 2 ones at least..on you ever have the time to try every ones, would be even better but.. ;) ) .. my 2 euro cents! :);)
  • SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    Love the story behind Mikhail! Might even borrow that background for my next pen 7 paper character :smile:
    jackjackBlackraven
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited February 2015
    Edit: Weird, my vote doesn't show; Priest of Lathander

Was a close call between cleric and barbarian, but I think the cleric had the better RP story (meaning, he had some cons* (his low CON) and not only pros.

*pun intended.
    lolienBlackraven
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    Every inn on the sword coast shall prosper while this man roams free!
    rufus_hobartlolien