Skip to content

#11129 Biography text should not show when swapping armour mid combat

argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
edited January 2015 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
The game prevents you from equipping or unequipping armor during combat. The message "You cannot change armor during combat." should be displayed in the inventory screen if you try it anyway. Since update 1.3 it displays the biography text of Charname instead (I've seen both versions with different Charnames, see attached screenshots).

You can reproduce it by attacking your party members to enable combat mode and trying to equip or unequip armor afterwards.

Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    I tried various saves and they were fine, do you have one that demonstrates this behaviour please. & does it happen with a new game?
    Thanks
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    I've tested it in new SoA games. Saves attached. To reproduce, attack Imoen to trigger combat mode and try to remove Imoen's armor afterwards.

I'm using a newly created character in the first save and an imported character (from a BG1EE CHR file) in the second save. Both are displaying different messages as shown in the screenshots of my first post.
    If I use your save I get the same results as you, if I create a new game or use another save it works as expected. The expected text gives a string reference, the biography statements don't. Have you got/had any mods installed at all?
    No mods installed. I've tried to find the cause by removing my custom folders one after another and it looks like several CHR files of my "characters" folder were causing this issue on my system. I've attached the files in question. Just unpack them into the "characters" folder before creating a new character. You don't even need to import one of them during character creation to trigger this issue.
    Gate70
    edited January 2015
    OK. They're the BPII pregens? I just tried exporting Abdel from a new ToB game and sure enough the same thing happened. Will raise on that basis.
    Thanks

(hmm, and doing the same a 2nd time didn't work so may repro based on BPII)
    I don't seem to be able to get a consistent repro (from a working game to an export to experiencing the issue).
    OK, seems to happen if I export all 6 BPII pregens so raising on that basis.
    Thanks
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    Tagging @killerrabbit who experienced this bug during the v1.3 beta. Maybe there is something else you can add?
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/37788/buglette-changing-armor-during-combat
    killerrabbit
    To partly solve the mystery, it looks like the game overrides certain strings from the dialog.tlk with new strings. Overridden strings are always listed in the file DEFAULT.TOH which is stored in the BALDUR.SAV of each savegame. The affected strings include the above-mentioned line "You cannot change armor during combat." (Strref: 62024) as well as the following six entries:
    - "But it... it is weak and will not help again! You are empty inside! There is nothing within... but the instinct!" (Strref: 62025)
    - "You may not cast the Find Familiar spell in the tutorial." (Strref: 62026)
    - "Foolishly, you murdered Goldander Blackenrock, an evil act that must be overlooked for the time being." (Strref: 62027)
    - "You have not identified the shield yet. To identify the shield, please RIGHT-CLICK on it and then choose the Identify option." (Strref: 62028)
    - "With your attack on the dragon, the drow illusion fades away." (Strref: 62029)
    - "There is nothing more to say." (Strref: 62030)

In a normal game only strrefs 62016 up to 62021 are overridden which all contain the text "— This space intentionally left blank —".
    CrevsDaakHurricanehook71killerrabbit
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Hurricane said:

Tagging @killerrabbit who experienced this bug during the v1.3 beta. Maybe there is something else you can add?
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/37788/buglette-changing-armor-during-combat

Thanks -- I can send zip files of games if that will help. I think @argent77 has it covered but I can offer a related bug (hardly worth mentioning). In the drow city with 'drowface' make a magical weapon and then try to equip a weapon. Text box will say 'you cannot change weapons while shapechanged' which I suspect is probably related.

Another, possibly related bug -- not sure if already has a number -- a fatigued character will continually respond as if selected and will initiate all possible banters until sleep. To reproduce -- have Mazzy use her speed twice and then continue to play. @gate70