Skip to content

Mate of mine cant run multiplayer at all

DeraiDerai Member Posts: 7
When he and I tried hosting a game for multiplayer(me as host) he had the constant issue of always crashing on the character creator screen around 20 secs into the lobby join. After he recently just bought the game, as in having no other mods installed into it. Then when he reinstalled and removed everything from the save directory and the document folders aswell, he still had the same problem. Then we tried just having premade characters as starting characters and just started up the game and we manage to get past the candlekeep screen then he crashes again. And there doesnt seem to be any work around of this . I mean he just got this game and cant get past this starting point.

Hes currently running Windows,
CPU: Intel core i5-4670k cpu 3,40GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
16gb RAM

Comments

• DeraiDerai Member Posts: 7
    We have now also tried both Tuungle and Hamachi to try and connect through tcp/ip. All ports were forwarded as the multiplayer setup forum post explained on this site and also went through with disabling my firewall completely. My friend could not join at all during this hosting and are now out of ideas. We even resorted to trying to pirate different versions of the game to try and make this work, and are going so far back as a year ago and are going to try it out next.

I tried starting up 2 baldurs gate, 1 purchased and 1 pirated and connected to one of the games hosts with seperate names and i seem to be able to connect to myself through hamachi although im not sure this proves anything. Im just curious if this could be my friends game tripping over something i havent checked out yet.

I mean we updated his drivers, wiped the game clean off his pc multiple times now, what else can we check, i could really use the help with this, since im out of ideas at this point, i mean he wasted his money on this game which i hyped him to play with me.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    OK.
    Are you also using the PC version of BG:EE, or are you playing cross platform.
    Are you both using home broadband or is there something like corporate firewalls (e.g. university) that might block gaming activity.
    Can he host a game, without you joining.
    Do you both have uPNP available and activated on your routers.
    Does your friend have a firewall (Windows or other security suite) and is the game enabled/blocked in it.
    Have you tried using Beamdog.Net and direct IP.

(& using other "sources" of the game is only going to complicate matters. If you wish to run two instances of BG:EE this can be done by navigating to e.g. C:\\00766\baldur.exe and running that which will enable a 2nd instance).
    We are both using the steam version of the game on PC and we are both on home broadband networks. We've been using beamdog.net but have tried multiple times using alternative programs like Tuungle or Hamachi. Im the only one who has uPNP enabled and firewalls down, but is it also necessary for him to do the same? Since im usually the host this shouldnt be a problem , since we havent needed to do it for old games like heroes of might and magic 3.

I've been reading through some more of the posts on this forum and im going to attempt to sort every driver on my friends pc, doing a clean driver install on it aswell as if he had Open AL installed, since appearently someone had that issue and resolved it by running BG2 EE. Maybe even check his processor drivers
    Alright so i had my friend check event viewer to see if there was anything on there that we could see, since we never get any crash dump files in the documents folder. Heres what hes got:

Faulting application name: Baldur.exe, version: 0.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x54220e24
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00038e19
    Faulting process id: 0x2fb4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d02ad773c4827a
    Faulting application path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Baldur.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: cf58949b-96ca-11e4-8a8d-d43d7ee3454c

Not sure if you could understand what this could mean, since to us its pretty useless but im hoping someone knows.
    edited January 2015
    We found a crash dump file under documents, even though its only one when there were multiple attempts/crashes, hopefully theres something in there that explains whats wrong. We previously didnt receive any dump files, but somehow theres one now.

EDIT: cant seem to be able to post the dump file here so im not really sure how to show it :/
    Post edited by Derai on
    So i suppose we are just going to give up on playing multiplayer of this game, since no one seemse to have the solution to the issue we're having. Too bad.
    Went ahead and made the .dmp file into a rar and uploaded it, might aswell leave it here if theres someone who needs it to fix this problem