Skip to content

What's the most significant item just lying around in BG2?

Hi folks,

I just started wondering: what's the most significant item just lying around somewhere in BG2? By "just lying around", I mean that the item is in a place you may well not notice and that you definitely don't have to fight for it.

For example, the horn of Valhalla is "just lying around", because it's in an empty house, unguarded, and in a place you might not naturally go to. The bag of holding, on the other hand, is not "just lying around", because it's in Spellhold in a location where you will definitely search every container. Nothing in a dungeon is "just lying around", because the expectation is that you will check everything.

The reason I ask is that I haven't checked all the tables in every inn, nor every container in every empty house and temple and so on, and I wonder if there's something big somewhere that I've never noticed, in all these years.

Comments

• PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Great question. I am also interested in the answer.
  • GlidderdustGlidderdust Member Posts: 70
    Hard to imagine that there's something that hasn't been found yet.

I probably would never have found Daystar unless I read a guide. It's not just lying there since you have to fight a liche but I'm not sure how many people are looking for a hidden door in that inn.
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    I remember a warhammer that did electrical damage behind a panel in a bridge (I think it was a bridge anyway) maybe in the shadow forest that proved very useful for my cleric. No fight though the panel might have been trapped.
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    Technically the celestial fury is lying around... If only someone somewhere will actually finish writing the slave questline... Then it would be a decent reward for a nice quest :p

But as stated Belm is probably the most "useful" treasure that requires no effort to obtain.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Come to think of it, yes, Belm is probably the best treasure just lying around.

I have also found the ring of lockpicks in the thieves' guild area, and I remember how pleasantly surprised I was the first time it happened.

The first time I played BG2:EE, I really went through the Bridge District and came across something new. There was an encounter I had never seen, once you went down the stairs near location 14, 12 or 8 in this link: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough2/SoA/chapter-2/areas/bridge-district.php. It had something to do with slavery and transportation, and I seem to recall there was even some voiced conversation. Nothing significant happened and no loot was gained, but it was a surprise, still, to come across something genuinely new.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited January 2015

Come to think of it, yes, Belm is probably the best treasure just lying around.

I have also found the ring of lockpicks in the thieves' guild area, and I remember how pleasantly surprised I was the first time it happened.

The first time I played BG2:EE, I really went through the Bridge District and came across something new. There was an encounter I had never seen, once you went down the stairs near location 14, 12 or 8 in this link: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough2/SoA/chapter-2/areas/bridge-district.php. It had something to do with slavery and transportation, and I seem to recall there was even some voiced conversation. Nothing significant happened and no loot was gained, but it was a surprise, still, to come across something genuinely new.

@xzar_monty‌ Was it the fat slave owner bashing his transporter ogres? The ogres want to rest cos they are sick and the man just doesn't listen..

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited January 2015
    wigglesg said:

I remember a warhammer that did electrical damage behind a panel in a bridge (I think it was a bridge anyway) maybe in the shadow forest that proved very useful for my cleric. No fight though the panel might have been trapped.

It's on the bridge on the eyeless cult questline. You have a lot of fighters to reach that point, so it's not really lying around in fact, it's just not lying in the drop of a monster.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    I'd go with the Staff of the Magi and assorted items from the Twisted Rune. It's definitely not any place you'd go normally, and you can't even get there if you don't have a certain stone in your inventory. Of course, there's quite a battle before you get the items so you might not consider it "lying around."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    kamuizin said:

wigglesg said:

It's on the bridge on the eyeless cult questline. You have a lot of fighters to reach that point, so it's not really lying around in fact, it's just not lying in the drop of a monster.
    I suppose you could argue that you do have to fight for it but given its location it is pretty easy to miss as it isn't an obvious container.
    In the enhanced edition Neera's quest line, when you give the hair band you find in a crate to the wild mageling child, she rewards you with a nifty amulet:which is a +2 protection amulet that can be worn together with other protection items or enchanted armor as well! Very nice reward for the simplicity of the job.
    Tomarctus said:

They are in the room with the master pickpocket. The room below the one with wellyn's bear

The table is trapped, though! And bring in Yoshimo to talk to the master pickpocket guy for extra content!
  • DemaniusDemanius Member Posts: 51
    Awesome finds guys. Yeh daystar was one of the items i picked up early ish while dodging the lich then going back in and using it against him. Was fun :smiley:
  • domeplsffsdomeplsffs Member Posts: 36

It's not just lying there since you have to fight a liche but I'm not sure how many people are looking for a hidden door in that inn.

Well, you know, elves are finding trap-doors automatically =O (found it by chance on my first run, but dear lord, the lich minced my sorry behind so many times ><) But on-topic, i guess it's Belm, right? Since it's literally just lying there.
  • SymphonyofSwordsSymphonyofSwords Member Posts: 40
    What has always baffled me is the fact that the greatest magic mantle ever made is being carried by a random fish footsoldier.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,735
    I can mention the Shield Amulet with lots of uses (more than 40) that you can find in a chest near the exit from de'Arnise Hold Dungeon.

Also, Crimson Dart +3 in a chest on the First Floor of Watchers Keep.

I should say that the First Floor of Watchers Keep has many wonderful items "just lying around": a container for arrows/bolts, unlimited arrows +1, unlimited bolts +1.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    @bengoshi‌ I believe the OP said not in dungeons : )
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    The gloves of missile snaring are a pretty good find in the planar sphere generator room. But whether this counts as "just lying around" is debatable because a group of golems can be there depending on your level (but sometimes they aren't there).
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well, an regeneration ring is lying around in the Adventure's Mart... in the pocket of Ribald! It can be labeled as lying around from a point of view :)!

In The Small Pass Tree, there are a bunch of items locked inside a tomb (during the night there are enemies around), if you use mods to trigger the place before chapter 6, then the items would be worth the journey.
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    I heard that it's possible to pickpocket a genie bottle from one of the genies in Trademeet but I'm not sure if that counts.