Skip to content

#10160 [All] Rare selection sounds should only play when a character is repeatedly selected

ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
edited March 2015 in IWD:EE Bugs (v1.4.0)
1.4 Update: this was only partially fixed, still repros.

Case 1: attack orders don't reset the counter. Select-attack in a loop triggers the annoyed lines when it shouldn't.

Case 2: move orders for a group of selected characters only reset the counter for the first character.

In the original IWD, characters have a set of "normal" selection lines and a set of "annoyed" lines they use when you select them numerous times in a row (about 8 or more times). The "annoyed" lines are meant as a sort of easter egg and are not easily accidentally triggered.

In IWD:EE it's very easy to trigger these lines by accident and actually they are heard very often in normal play. This is because the counter that counts how many times you've selected the character in a row is not reset by move orders. So simply doing:

Select
Move
Select
Move
(repeat)...
Select
Move
Select

... triggers the annoyed line when it shouldn't.
Post edited by Zeckul on
CluasJuliusBorisovjackjack

Comments

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Reported
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaakjackjack
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Also, selecting another character should also reset the count. The count should actually get reset on any action other than re-selecting the same character.
    Cluasjackjack
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Actually, missed an existing report on this: we've got a fix queued up for the first update.
    JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHCrevsDaakjackjack
  • boxmanboxman Member Posts: 19
    You know, I noticed this but thought it was a new, great feature.
    CrevsDaak
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    boxman said:

You know, I noticed this but thought it was a new, great feature.

Ugh its annoying to me no offense
    smeagolheart
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    I too was really annoyed by those responses (being called an idiot by your character 30 times an hour is only funny for so long) that I was forced to discover a solution of some sort.

If anyone's interested, until the bug gets fixed, kind of a workaround I used for myself was just deleting the .wav sound files of the annoyed selection lines. There are 4 of them, ending with "x, y, #, _". For instance, if you use the Female Fighter 2 sound set, those would be:

ffight2#.wav
    ffight2_.wav
    ffight2x.wav
    ffight2y.wav

For other soundsets:

Female HOW - female
    Female Fighter - ffight
    Female Mage - fmage
    Female Thief - fthief

Male HOW - male
    Male Fighter - mfight
    Male Mage - mmage
    Male Thief - mthief

With the corresponding number of course, like mmage4#.wav (and so on), for Male Mage 4.

The files are located in your IWDEE\your language\sounds folder, for example:
    Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition\lang\en_US\sounds - for english soundsets.

Once those files are deleted, you will only get a text line (even if you have those turned off) with no voice playing, each time your character would use the annoyed response.

It's the best thing I could come up with, for the time being. I believe the only real problem are your leader's voiced lines, as you hear them way more often than anyone else's. You will get the annoyed responses not only when selecting that particular character, but also when you select everyone or any group of characters with your leader in it, which is pretty common, as it's usually some melee frontliner type of character.
    Cluas
    As of patch 1.4.:

#10160 [All] Rare selection sounds should only play when a character is repeatedly selected

This has not been fixed. After updating the game on Steam, I'm still getting the same issue as described in this thread.
    It was fixed for me... Are you sure you are running 1.4?
    edited March 2015
    Yes, tested it further and it seems to be resetting between areas and perhaps some other circumstances. So it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal while playing normally (not testing for it specifically), but technically not fixed completely.

Edit:
    Played with it some more and it seems like it also resets (on a per-character basis) after issuing a command to a character, which basically eliminates the whole problem. I was testing by selecting different characters one after another and the problem still persists in that way (it should be only 8+ clicks on the same person without selecting anyone else in between), but in practice, the solution they came up with works just fine. While playing the game normally no one will select a character more than 8 times without issuing a command for that person.

Edit 2:
    Well, after playing for a while I've concluded it only resets on issuing command (not between areas). I like shift-clicking to select characters pretty often to give orders (like click archer 1 + shift-click archer 2) and after a long play session I've started hearing the annoyed selection sounds from some people - like archer 2, because that character was usually shift-selected after archer 1, whose line played after issuing a command for both of them. So basically, in order to reset the annoying lines for archer 2, I had to select her personally and issue a command, so that her "ok" line played. A lot of text for a very minor thing ;+P, but just saying that it's not entirely fixed yet.
    Post edited by Mivsan on
    Zeckullolien
    Wow, they've actually managed to not implement that correctly. o.0 This is depressing. As you say it's now a lot less likely that a player will trigger this by accident, but can still happen.

...I don't know if I even feel like creating a new bug report at this point. Maybe I'll find the will to later. Do it if you want.
    I'm not sure if creating a new report is necessary. The IWD:EE bug forum got renamed to 1.4.0. bugs and this thread is still going (not marked as fixed), so perhaps this is good enough. I don't have much experience in reporting bugs here, though, so who knows.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Can you provide clearer reproduction steps? I can't get this to happen by selecting different party members one after another.
    What I did just now:

Simply click character 1, then character 2, then character 3. Repeat 8 times. On the 9th time each one of them is going to utter their 1st out of 4 annoyed lines.

The problem is that this cycle should only occur while selecting a certain character 8+ times in a row. Selecing someone else should break it. And as it stands now, the only thing that breaks that cycle for each character is that particular character saying their "confirm order" line after you issue a command for them.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    That's exactly what I did, but they only spoke their regular lines. I used the default party.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    The only problem i found: move orders in group don't reset the counter only for the first character.
    Repro: click on someone (not the first char) till they give their first annoyed comment.
    Click on another char (above the annoyed one), shift click on the annoyed one. (you will get another annoyed response, but this is ok)
    Issue move order. (this should reset the counters for both chars)
    Click on the annoyed one again.
    Result: annoyed, Expected: not annoyed

edited March 2015
    Hmm. I just created a new game with the default party and it's still the same for me. Wish I could record. The next best thing might be to show in screenshot form.

I have no mods installed, just a vanilla install on Steam.

The only problem i found: move orders in group don't reset the counter only for the first character.
    Repro: click on someone (not the first char) till they give their first annoyed comment.
    Click on another char (above the annoyed one), shift click on the annoyed one. (you will get another annoyed response, but this is ok)
    Issue move order. (this should reset the counters for both chars)
    Click on the annoyed one again.
    Result: annoyed, Expected: not annoyed

Yes, this is exactly what I was describing in earlier posts. Issuing orders works only on a per-character basis. A particular character has to say their "yes sir" line in order to reset the cycle. Being a part of a group doesn't break the cycle (because it is only the character the highest in your party column that plays the "yes sir" line and it is only for that character that the cycle is reset).
    Mivsan said:

What I did just now:

Simply click character 1, then character 2, then character 3. Repeat 8 times. On the 9th time each one of them is going to utter their 1st out of 4 annoyed lines.

The problem is that this cycle should only occur while selecting a certain character 8+ times in a row. Selecing someone else should break it. And as it stands now, the only thing that breaks that cycle for each character is that particular character saying their "confirm order" line after you issue a command for them.

I initally thought this, but that's the vanilla behavior as well. If you select two characters in alternance, each one will start saying his annoyed lines, so they all have their own counter.

There's another issue with character lines that makes annoyed lines trigger more often than they did in the original, I'll open another bug report for that.

edited March 2015
    @Avenger_teambg there's another easy repro: attack orders don't reset the counter either. So select-attack-select-attack repeatedly triggers the annoyed lines. Expected: it doesn't.

I've noticed this because it actually happens often in my game and it's somewhat distracting.
    Hmm, you're right Zeckul about selecting different characters. I checked with my original IWD as well and it indeed happens. The reason why I've never heard the annoyed lines while doing playthroughs in the original is that the cycle resets when you give a group order, which, as described earlier, doesn't work in EE.

When you have 2 characters at the stage of being annoyed and issue a group command for both of them - they will both reset their cycle, not just the person at the top of party column who says their "yes sir" line.

Also, nicely spotted with the attack command not reseting the counter, I haven't noticed that before, but it is indeed the case.
    smeagolheartlolien
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    edited March 2015
    I'm only amused when my rogue told me how he knows of a druid who can hook me up with some "good stuff"
    Kenji said:

I'm only amused when my rogue told me how he knows of a druid who can hook me up with some "good stuff"

There's quite a few really good ones. For example, the Female Thief 2 says:
    "So I kicked him in the head until he was dead... I can't believe I just said that." :+D

The problem of course was that before the patch you heard those lines so often that they quickly got old and made the PLAYER annoyed :+).
    ZeckulKenji