Skip to content

But... but... my stuff!

I just beat Icewind Dale and imported my party to Heart of Winter, excited to play the expansion because I've never done so before. I am a habitual pack rat, and had picked up the bag of holding early on to accommodate my arsenal of interesting, but largely unused weaponry, armor and magical items. Likewise, I had two or three gem bags, a couple of scroll cases and potion bags and the ammo belt and the potion - in other words, just about every storage device I could get my grubby little mitts on.

I was looking forward to adding to my already expansive collection, and was shocked to learn that my precious containers did not travel with my party to Lonelywood. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm just a little [completely] heartbroken.

Is this working as intended? Do I need to backtrack and start the HoW story before I beat Icewind Dale? Can I even do that? Is there *any* way that I can keep my stuff in the expansion?

tl;dr: My bag of holding didn't follow me to HoW and I am very, very, very sad.

-Blue
CluasCrevsDaak

Comments

• TommyKnox777TommyKnox777 Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2015
    I had a similar issue, beat the original campaign before I tried the expansions cause that seemed like the proper order to do it.

After I beat the shard guy I was expecting to just be able to travel back to the xpac quest npc but you get locked out of the game after the final save :/

So I had to import my guys and lost my loots.
    JLee
  • BlueSorceressBlueSorceress Member Posts: 84
    Yeah, I just ended up backtracking to an earlier save and doing HoW before finishing the main campaign. Then I discovered that you couldn't backtrack to Lonelywood and do Trials of the Luremaster after finishing off the HoW campaign without importing, so I backtracked AGAIN...

For those playing the home game, that's four Belhifet fights and two Icasaracht fights, all to ensure that I finished the game and played through all the expansions with all my precious belongings.
  • moominatamoominata Member Posts: 12

Yeah, I just ended up backtracking to an earlier save and doing HoW before finishing the main campaign. Then I discovered that you couldn't backtrack to Lonelywood and do Trials of the Luremaster after finishing off the HoW campaign without importing, so I backtracked AGAIN...

For those playing the home game, that's four Belhifet fights and two Icasaracht fights, all to ensure that I finished the game and played through all the expansions with all my precious belongings.

BlueSorceress -- I see you left the above IWD comment over a year ago so this is a long shot but... do you remember what order you played things in so as not to have to go back and keep backtracking to earlier saves?

I can't quite figure out the order from your post, and it would be so useful to know, if you wouldn't mind sharing a simple list.

Cheers
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

Then I discovered that you couldn't backtrack to Lonelywood and do Trials of the Luremaster after finishing off the HoW campaign without importing

This always bothered me. It makes sense that Hjollder doesn't want to teleport you back and forth any more, but couldn't we just have Hobart relocate to Kuldahar after the main HoW campaign is done?
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    moominata said:

BlueSorceress -- I see you left the above IWD comment over a year ago so this is a long shot but... do you remember what order you played things in so as not to have to go back and keep backtracking to earlier saves?

I can't quite figure out the order from your post, and it would be so useful to know, if you wouldn't mind sharing a simple list.

Cheers
    Make sure that you travel to Lonelywood with Hjollder before going after Belhifet (which concludes the main game) and to travel with Hobart before going after Icasaracht (which concludes Heart of Winter). So, you will beat the Luremaster first, Icasaracht second and Belhifet will be the last.

Also, a confusing description of my non-linear method of enjoying Icewind Dale in the spoiler.
    One thing most people fail to notice is that you needn't wait with the journey to Lonelywood till the very end of the main campaign. Moreover, since Hjollder offers the option to go back to Kuldahar a few times throughout the expansion, it is thus possible to introduce a lot of variety in your game.

I usually have my party go to Lonelywood as soon as they hit the experience threshold, so as to scout the situation, do some initial questing, shopping and (extremely risky but rewarding) tomb raiding. Then, they would travel back to Kuldahar and resume the main campaign and continue it for a while. Later they would go to Lonelywood to stumble upon Hobart and beat the Luremaster. Afterwards, they return back to the main campaign, at some point going to finish the unfinished business with the dragon, and once all else is sorted out, they take on Belhifet.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    God said:

Make sure that you travel to Lonelywood with Hjollder before going after Belhifet (which concludes the main game) and to travel with Hobart before going after Icasaracht (which concludes Heart of Winter). So, you will beat the Luremaster first, Icasaracht second and Belhifet will be the last.

Just be careful, if you embark on another adventure while doing the Luremaster quest, you'll end up in Limbo. :wink:
    Godinethmf2112Hudzy
  • AronAron Member Posts: 94
    So as I understand it, you start the Campaign, then do Trials of the Luremaster first, THEN you do Heart of Winter, then you go for grand final and beat the game? Just so i dont do any mistakes and has to backtrack myself :)
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    What a lot of people do is play the original campaign up until just before the boss fight, then do Heart of Winter until just before that boss fight, then do TotL, then finish HoW, then complete the original campaign.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    That is the order of completing the expansions, @Aron
    Make sure that you have a mighty party (and by that I don't mean draining Lonelywood's alcohol reserves) before you travel with Hobart, as the Luremaster is one tough son of a coast. I'd generally recommend progressing through both the OC and HoW a bit before tackling the Trials as well as getting well-equipped.
  • AronAron Member Posts: 94
    I see. Then ill get far into HoW before I do all of Trials of the Luremaster.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    There's an obvious point of no return in HoW, at which point it's best to tackle TotL, so you should be fine.
    God