Skip to content

Official Beamdog contest: write a review of Beamdog or their products to get a prize

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
Hear, hear!

Beamdog has started a contest with three prizes available:

a Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition t-shirt,
a copy of the new Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set,
a copy of The Crystal Shard by R.A. Salvatore.

The contest runs from January 13, 2015 until midnight (MST) January 22, 2015.

Our favourite Beamdog bard, @Amber_Scott‌ , says that they Beamdog will randomly select three winners from the entrants and all we have to do is to write a review of Beamdog company or one of their products.

The review doesn’t have to be positive - it has to be honest.

Leave a review on Beamdog Facebook Page or on
Steam for one of their games (BG:EE, BG2:EE or IWD:EE). Then email a link to your review to alex@beamdog.com. Reviews must be dated January 13, 2015 or later in order to qualify.

You can leave a review on a different site, like the App Store, that’s fine too. Just email Beamdog a link or screencap to enter.

All details here: http://www.beamdog.com/beamblog

Comments

• Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    Thanks for the signal boost!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    It would be wonderful if we could keep track of how many reviews have been posted. It's interesting to know how many people are involved : )
    I can post an update on Monday! :)
    We haven't had many entries so far. If you're at all interested in the prizes. I strongly encourage you to enter. Your odds of winning are currently really good.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    to seize the opportunity, can you people indicate me where i can find a place to buy R. A. Salvatore Novels on internet from Brazil? I even send an e-mail to his main site but i never got an answer. The name of his publisher would be appreciate also.

I look on most of the specific D&D stores in my country but no one apparently has the books to sell (i even prefer them in english in fact).

Until now the only way to read these books where on online sites spread over the internet but i really want to have the books (no e-book, the physical books), not only to read but to add on my collections.

I'm Specific searching for Drizzt's sagas.
    Update: We've only had 12 entries so far. Not sure if the entry method is too complicated or the prizes are not interesting to people (we've given out free game copies in the past, but it seems like most people interested in participating already have copies of all the games and so we wanted some more prize variety this time around). What do you all think?

There's still a few days left to enter if you're interested!
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I am deliberately avoiding writing a review at the moment, as I would have to give a 1* review to BG2EE for Mac purely due to the lack of patching on an unplayable initial release. We are still waiting for the 1.2 patch from 2013, the one that fixes the save game corruption bugs, the one released on other platforms 2 days before the Mac App landed in the Mac App store. BG2 is an amazing game with a heritage that I would not want to write such a review for, I am pretty sure I will give a 5* review when the patch eventually lands in the Mac App store, but it appears that will not be before the contest deadline.

You really don't want to push the Mac customers into writing reviews at this point in time! I am happy to give up the chance of a prize or two if it means I can write the review I want to stand by in another month or so.

Not sure why everyone else is not taking this up though - maybe they all wrote their reviews before the start deadline of the contest, so are automatically not eligible?
    There are so many platforms available for review-writing, though. It's not limited to Steam. There's a paragraph that says "If you want to leave a review on a different site, like the App Store, that’s fine too. Just email us a link or screencap to enter." Perhaps I should have made that clearer. I'll remember for future contests.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    The problem is not the venue - I understood that an App Store review would count. The problem is that I don't want to write a review of the current (unpatched) game, even though it is the form that has been available for 14 months, as it would not be a good reflection once the 1.3 patch finally lands. However, I cannot write a review of the game with that patch until it is available - so I am left with writing a scathing review in a public place, or skipping the contest and finally writing the review I would like to stand by, in another month or so (I hope!)
    That part I understood, sorry. I was addressing your comment that maybe people already wrote their reviews before the deadline.

I don't have anything to do with patching or the patch schedule so I can't address your issue with the Mac reviews. I'll be sure to pass your comments on to the head honchos, though.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2015

The problem is not the venue - I understood that an App Store review would count. The problem is that I don't want to write a review of the current (unpatched) game, even though it is the form that has been available for 14 months, as it would not be a good reflection once the 1.3 patch finally lands. However, I cannot write a review of the game with that patch until it is available - so I am left with writing a scathing review in a public place, or skipping the contest and finally writing the review I would like to stand by, in another month or so (I hope!)

I would just write an honest review now.

That said I assume the app store prevents you from changing a review then?
  • skinnydragonskinnydragon Member Posts: 110
    Can I just check that there aren't any geographical limits on entries. If so I may need to withdraw my entry if not one in 4 odds of a prize seems good. Although they will almost certainly get worse
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605

Can I just check that there aren't any geographical limits on entries. If so I may need to withdraw my entry if not one in 4 odds of a prize seems good. Although they will almost certainly get worse

If Beamdog can't ship to the UK I will have to withdraw my entry too, hope this is not the case.
    Assuming you got your entry in before @Amber_Scott‌ counted them at least a sixth of the entrants are from the UK. Anyone else who entered also in the UK?
    There are no geographical restrictions. Enter away!
    (Well unless you're on the moon, or a remote Antarctic research station, I guess. But if you live somewhere where you can get packages, you're fine.)

That's good wouldn't want you to have any less entries. That and I want a prize :wink:
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

(Well unless you're on the moon, or a remote Antarctic research station, I guess. But if you live somewhere where you can get packages, you're fine.)

Damnit. I take it Faerun residents are excluded as well? :p
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Something about a man-eating snow cabbage that apparently Faerûn DOESN'T HAVE!!!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Does it count? : )

eljackinton asked: I hope this doesn't sound like an attempt to get a controversial soundbite, because it's not, but I'm genuinely curious on what thoughts you (or the Obsidian team) have on Beamdog's enhanced editions of the old Inifinity Engine games? Particularly regarding the potenital 'all new but still using the old engine/mechanics' Baldur's Gate game they recently mentioned.

Josh Sawyer: I don’t want to speak for anyone else on the team or at Obsidian, but I like what I’ve played of them (BG and IWD, specifically). My main concern with the re-releases was balance, which I do believe suffers in BG and IWD. The BG2 kits were really tuned for that game. The content in BG and IWD was not, so a lot of the encounters (that I’ve seen, anyway) become much easier to blast through. Still, they’re a lot of fun.

http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/108585274081/i-hope-this-doesnt-sound-like-an-attempt-to-get-a
    Sure! Email it in to alex @ beamdog .com :)
    edited January 2015
    So, the time is up! Now we're awaiting for the winners! They should get not only a prize but also a :cookie:

Tell us about the participants and the winners : )