Skip to content

New player looking for a fun/powerful class to start with

Just picked up the game and I have no idea what im doing. I rolled an Undead Hunter thinking I could possibly solo...it didnt go so well, got killed by a bunch of giant green bugs that threw up on me. I hear sorc is a great class to play but very difficult if you dont know what you're doing. And as much as I love spellcasters in other games I really want to start off with a melee, something along the lines of a brute with a giant 2 handed weapon that chops everyone in half. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get into this game.
Blackraven

Comments

• DurendalDurendal Member Posts: 32
    First of all, don't solo - The game is balanced around a party, and soloing is rather advanced stuff.

If you're planning on playing the same character through the entire series, a Paladin using 2-handed weapons is a good choice, as one of the best weapons in the game is a greatsword that can only be used by Paladins.

Sorcerers aren't really all that more complicated than a normal Wizard, and I would argue that they're much more beginner-friendly due to them requiring less micromanaging of spells.

If you're set on playing a Paladin, consider playing an Inquisitor - They do not learn spells like a normal Paladin, but they can dispel magic really well. If you don't know the mechanics behind spellcasters, it would be hard to explain just -why- the Inquisitor's version of dispel magic is so great, but the short of it is that this particular version can take down just about any magical protection throughout 90% of the series, and by the time it stops being consistent you're better off using other things anyway.

That however is simply a suggestion, and my bias from using Inquisitors often. All of the Paladin kits are fun to play and viable.
    kcwiseForrestoBlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Cavalier is my favorite paladin kit, but the Inquisitor is arguably the strongest one in the sequel.
    jackjackkcwiseBlackraven
  • ForrestoForresto Member Posts: 6
    Wow, all this advice is overwhelming, thanks so much guys! Well I just made it to the Mines, been running around aimlessly with my Undead Hunter. I picked up Branwen (equipped with a +2 mace you get from killing the guy surrounded by skeletons) and Kivan, which I have as my archer. Unfortunately Khalid died a horrible death, and so did Jaherea(?). Waiting to get Imoen's Find trap and locking picking to 100 then going to dual class her to mage.
    As for the dual wielding I was thinking of going Ranger, but I feel like it would be tedious opening up my inventory everytime an enemy gets close. Any mods that can fix that? :) Thanks again everyone!
    jackjackBlackravenJuliusBorisovkcwise
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Forresto said:

Wow, all this advice is overwhelming, thanks so much guys! Well I just made it to the Mines, been running around aimlessly with my Undead Hunter. I picked up Branwen (equipped with a +2 mace you get from killing the guy surrounded by skeletons) and Kivan, which I have as my archer. Unfortunately Khalid died a horrible death, and so did Jaherea(?). Waiting to get Imoen's Find trap and locking picking to 100 then going to dual class her to mage.
    As for the dual wielding I was thinking of going Ranger, but I feel like it would be tedious opening up my inventory everytime an enemy gets close. Any mods that can fix that? :) Thanks again everyone!

That's a Hammer that you have on Branwen, not a big distinction but important to make sure your characters have the appropriate weapon proficiency (which Branwen does so you're in the clear there at least).

Yes, I rarely intend to use ranged and dual wielding on a character as it is tedious to go into the inventory repeatedly. Often though you'll find that you can transport toon from one style to the other in different points in the game as different styles become weaker and stronger. If you do want to have that versatility then I'd recommend using a two handed weapon combined with a bow instead to make it easier to swap between.
    JuliusBorisovkcwiseForrestojackjack
    So far my team is looking like this: Branwen(Buffs/frontline fighter), Minsc(doing his quest to get the mage), Kivan(ranged), Imoen(dual classed to mage at level 6), and Ajantis. Now my question is: What should I make Minsc and Ajantis use weapon wise? I'm a front line fighter, with ** in both 2h sword and the other 2h training and * in longbows. And Ajantis is using a bastard sword and a shield, with Minsc using a 2h. Kivan is longbow and imoen atm is using shortbows. Is it okay to have 3 fighters? 4 if you include Branwen hitting people with her hammer? A list of what my companions should use would be really great since I think of myself as more of a "powergamer" and really want to get the most out of my team comp. Thanks in advance!
    JuliusBorisovkcwiseBlackraven
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Forresto Since Imoen is going to be your mage, that sounds like really nice party.
    kcwiseForrestoBlackravenjackjack
    Forresto said:

So far my team is looking like this: Branwen(Buffs/frontline fighter), Minsc(doing his quest to get the mage), Kivan(ranged), Imoen(dual classed to mage at level 6), and Ajantis. Now my question is: What should I make Minsc and Ajantis use weapon wise? I'm a front line fighter, with ** in both 2h sword and the other 2h training and * in longbows. And Ajantis is using a bastard sword and a shield, with Minsc using a 2h. Kivan is longbow and imoen atm is using shortbows. Is it okay to have 3 fighters? 4 if you include Branwen hitting people with her hammer? A list of what my companions should use would be really great since I think of myself as more of a "powergamer" and really want to get the most out of my team comp. Thanks in advance!

Ideal weapons depends on current levels and existing weapon pips.

The best approach is to consider the best weapons and then try to have a character use them:
    (In no particular order)
    - Drizzts scimitars: requires you to kill him
    - Ashideena (which you have on Branswen)
    - Vascona (longsword from South of Nashkel Mines)
    - Stupifier (mace from house in Beregost, maybe for Minsc?)
    - Dagger of Venom (smithy in Beregost)
    - Albruin (bastard sword from Dorn's storyline)

And ... That's pretty much it. Two weapon style is the best way to fight but a greatsword isn't bad either, especially the one that you'll find for your Berserker if you are reasonably diligent on the main quest.
    Forrestokcwise
    @Wowo‌ Who would I use the Scimitars for? And the longsword + dagger? Since i'm doing a good play through is there any way to get Albruin another way? Or am I just going to have to suck it up and throw him in my party till I complete the quest? I also started another Undead Hunter, I'm going to save the Berserker for my second play through. Sorry for the 20 questions, really wanna know everything I can about the game!
    kcwise
    Forresto said:

@Wowo‌ Who would I use the Scimitars for? And the longsword + dagger? Since i'm doing a good play through is there any way to get Albruin another way? Or am I just going to have to suck it up and throw him in my party till I complete the quest? I also started another Undead Hunter, I'm going to save the Berserker for my second play through. Sorry for the 20 questions, really wanna know everything I can about the game!

Only way to get Albruin is to do his quests. You can drop Aj off, grab Dorn and rest until his quests prompt or I think just go to their locations immediately I think so it's a minumum of time lost for whoever you temporarily kick out.

Can always check here to see who your options are: http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php/Baldur's_Gate:_NPC_Rundown

The Khalid+Jaheira pair work well as Jaheira is good with the scimitar and Khalid has Longsword proficiency.
    kcwise
    You can skip Dorn and leave the content to be experienced in an evil or neutral playthrough.
    Musignyjackjackkcwise
  • baldurskjdbaldurskjd Member Posts: 67
    edited January 2015
    Remember if you dual imoen to a mage you will not have access to her thieving abilities until her mage level is one level higher than her thief level that you dualed at.
    FinneousPJjackjackkcwise

You can skip Dorn and leave the content to be experienced in an evil or neutral playthrough.

It's a really cool bastard sword though, arguably one of the best weapons in the game due to it's special abilities. If you have someone with bastard sword proficiency you really need to take the time to go and get it.

Dorn's storyline isn't particularly evil in the first game anyway so a good party can help him out without too many qualms given that he helps you out initially.
    kcwise
    @Wowo No mate, you don't "need to".
    kcwisejackjack

@Wowo No mate, you don't "need to".

We must have a different definition of "need" if you feel comfortable having a bastard sword user and then not getting the best bastard sword when the next best option is terrible.

Dorns quest line doesn't need any evil actions to complete and it's a reasonable response from a good party to help someone after they've helped you if it's not an evil act (which it isn't).
    @Wowo‌ Is the 2 drop in reputation permanent? Or until he leaves your party? I looked up the quest to see what it was all about and I think its a quest my paladin wouldn't mind taking. Is there any way to get the mage Minsc is after to NOT be in your party and still keep him? Minsc is so far my favorite character, him talking to his hamster is priceless!
  • CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    edited January 2015
    Forresto said:

@Wowo‌ Is the 2 drop in reputation permanent? Or until he leaves your party? I looked up the quest to see what it was all about and I think its a quest my paladin wouldn't mind taking. Is there any way to get the mage Minsc is after to NOT be in your party and still keep him? Minsc is so far my favorite character, him talking to his hamster is priceless!

You could have her killed.
    Forresto
  • baldurskjdbaldurskjd Member Posts: 67
    Remove her from your party in a house and leave the area before she has a chance to talk to charname.
    Forresto
    @Wowo I do get your point, but I also feel it doesn't fit the strict definition of need ;)
    jackjack
    Forresto said:

It stays until he leaves the party. It's easy to understand a paladin wanting to bring to justice those that have wronged someone so grossly as what they did to Dorn. Once you learn the exact details of what transpired previously you might have to consider carefully what is the correct choice of action but the quests themselves are very acceptable to a paladin.

I'd definitely recommend keeping Imoen and Minsc but the rest of your party can easily be swapped for some NPCs that you meet to give you a broad range of experiences. If your Charname is using greatswords as well as Minsc then I'd try to diversify him into something else (take advantage of the ranger pips in two weapon fighting) as there's only one really good greatsword until you get to the bottom of Durlags Tower which is one of the hardest quests.
    Forresto