Skip to content

Main quest-line? Getting a little bored

So i've just cleared the bandit camp and am about to go to cloak wood and i'm just wondering how many hours is left in the main quest?

I'm asking this because after all the exploring and leveling up it isnt't as fun to play as it was in the beginning.

i'm the "new school"-type gamer and i guess the slow pace is getting to me, i might just need a little break though i'm not sure what do to, i want to finish the game its just that i like to finish a game when i have started it without playing another game because then i'm just left with half-played games which are hard to get in to after a break.

Comments

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    What level are you now? Depending on how much exploring you did, vs. directly following the main quest line, you could be anywhere from close to half way through the game, to barely scratched the surface.

If you have not yet started into Cloakwood though, there is a lot of game to come. Generally, the more demanding parts of the game start around here, so you will appreciate all the leveling you have done, and start encountering enemies that demand those levels more frequently.

If I focus entirely on the mainline, with a party of 6 I am usually around 3rd level at this point, which makes the next step a challenge. On the other hand, if I have maximized exploration and xp elsewhere, I could easily have a party around 6/7th level, and still have the lower levels of Durlag's Tower waiting. This is typical of a play through where I dual-class Imoen to Mage at 6th level (maximizing trap/lock skills) and want to wait until she has regained the thief levels before starting down the end part of the cloakwood mission.
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    Run past as many monsters as possible instead of trying to kill all of them. Go buy some high level spells that will kill a lot of monsters at once. Get profiency in one weapon instead of having several. You get an extra attack plus more damage bonuses.
    wubblejackjack
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    you are about 2/5 done the main story.
    Being a completionist in this game can be dreadful so feel free to skip some maps till your next play through.
    wubblejackjack
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Did the expansion areas? Visit Durlag's Tower and Ulgoth's Beard for extra quests and adventure if you are bored with the main quest.
    wubblejackjack
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2015
    You are about 2/5 done the main story but the actual main story quests don't take that long. You've just been spending a lot of time doing sort of secondary things. That really isn't necessary if you are just looking to beat the game. If you just focus on doing the main quests you can probably beat the game in 4 or so hours. If you are finding the secondary quests to be slow paced and boring then you may want to consider just finishing the main quests and moving onto bg2 (which has tends to have much more epic battles).
  • baldurskjdbaldurskjd Member Posts: 67
    Or install SCS and run for your life at an unexpected encounter.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • 6kNNRQ6kNNRQ Member Posts: 16
    I'm at a point where I could do the last battle for BG:EE.
    Can I still roam around and finish up all the quests / expansion areas after I complete the last battle?
    Or is it like IWD, where there is no going back after a certain point?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2015
    Once you beat the last battle the game ends. So I would get everything you want finished before that point.
    jackjack
  • 6kNNRQ6kNNRQ Member Posts: 16
    elminster said:

Once you beat the last battle the game ends. So I would get everything you want finished before that point.

Ha. Ok, thanks. I was just in Candle Keep and Abdel's old friends were exclaiming he had been gone for "weeks", but I have over 200 days racked up on that save file. I thought maybe free roaming was available after the final confrontation.
  • VahnXIIIVahnXIII Member Posts: 33
    I guess over 200 days can still be measured in "weeks" haha.
    kcwise