Skip to content

1d4 enemies

According to the description of the "Hold Person" spell it will only affect 1d4 enemies(humans, demihumans etc). What does the 1d4 part mean?

Comments

• ObsidianObsidian Member Posts: 3
    Uhhh... A random number between (including) 1 and 4? :P
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    It's a four sided dice rolled one time.

One dice four.

Similarly,
    2d6 is a 6 sided dice rolled twice.
    1d20 is a 20 sided dice rolled once
    10d10 is a 10 sided dice rolled 10 times

Note that because of the discrete number of outcomes the actual mean result on a dice with an even amount of sides is actually halfway between it's highest and lowest results (also halfway between the two middle results).

For instance, average outcome of:
    1d6= 3.5
    3d6= 10.5
    2d4= 5
    1d8= 4.5
    Etc

Hope this helps :)
  • LundmaNLundmaN Member Posts: 43
    Oh I knew that "1d4" means "a four sided dice rolled one time", thanks anyway, but how does it work in that sentence? Perhaps I should've said "what does the '1d4 enemies' part mean?", because how does the 1d4 affect the enemies?
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    edited January 2015
    LundmaN said:

Oh I knew that "1d4" means "a four sided dice rolled one time", thanks anyway, but how does it work in that sentence? Perhaps I should've said "what does the '1d4 enemies' part mean?", because how does the 1d4 affect the enemies?

The die is rolled to see how many enemies are affected by the spell for example a roll of 3 will affect 3 enemies, those 3 will then roll to save against the spell (if possible) and if they don't save (or no save) they will be held.
  • LundmaNLundmaN Member Posts: 43
    wubble said:

LundmaN said:

The die is rolled to see how many enemies are affected by the spell for example a roll of 3 will affect 3 enemies, those 3 will then roll to save against the spell (if possible) and if they don't save (or no save) they will be held.
    Thanks! I figured it meant that or the level of the enemies. The sentence was just a bit confusing, I didn't thought that "Hold Person" could affect more than one enemy at a time, but thanks again.
  • HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2015
    More of "Hold Person" http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18510/question-regarding-hold-person-spell

-> It can hold more than 1w4 enemies in BGEE
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    whats its aoe then?

`The radius for that spell is seven feet, I believe, centered on the spells target when the spell lands.`

this correct ?