Skip to content

Bards and writing scrolls???

I'm loving IWDEE and really enjoying the party make up. I have had an issue recently with writing certain scrolls with my Bard, who's actually a Skald. Some of the scrolls I pick up don't give me the option to write to my spell book and they're not spells I already know. I've had a Magic Missile scroll for a while with no "write" capability and just recently found a Improved Invisibility scroll with the same problem. These spells are definitely not in my spell book already and still no option to copy into there.
Is this a bug or are Bards limited on which Mage spells they can learn?
Thanks for the help
meagloth

Comments

• HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    It's worth noting the cap is removed at 19 intelligence, if you can boost it that high. I can't remember how much potions add though.
    jackjacklolienmeagloth
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Noticed I got some insightfuls...hmm...
    jackjackJuliusBorisovlolienmeagloth
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Noticed I got some insightfuls...hmm...

The main thing we don't get @meagloth coming here with that phrase ...
    lolienmeagloth
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    Hudzy said:

It's worth noting the cap is removed at 19 intelligence, if you can boost it that high. I can't remember how much potions add though.

There are two great potions for temporarily boosting Intelligence. Potion of Genius, +4 Intelligence for 15 turns, and Potion of Mind Focusing, +3 Intelligence and Dexterity for 12 hours. I found 2 or 3 of both potions in each chapter. A great way to scribe scrolls is only scribe the "necessary" scrolls, as in, the most effective for the foreseeable future, and save the others until you have a good number of them in your inventory, then quaff one of these potions and scribe them all at the same time.
    jackjackHudzylolienOxford_Guy
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Just a qualifier to @Chidojuan's idea, chance of failure is also based on INT. You might want to hold off on scribing any scrolls without the proper libation. Just sayin... A little drinkie makes the work easier.
    Chidojuanbaldurskjdjackjacklolien
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    Libations for everybody!
    baldurskjdjackjacklolien
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I'm guessing the OP is playing on "standard" rather than "core rules" or they whould have realised 13 Int was a problem before they managed to fill up thier alocation.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Chidojuan said:

Hudzy said:

There are two great potions for temporarily boosting Intelligence. Potion of Genius, +4 Intelligence for 15 turns, and Potion of Mind Focusing, +3 Intelligence and Dexterity for 12 hours. I found 2 or 3 of both potions in each chapter. A great way to scribe scrolls is only scribe the "necessary" scrolls, as in, the most effective for the foreseeable future, and save the others until you have a good number of them in your inventory, then quaff one of these potions and scribe them all at the same time.
    This is what I used to do in BG with my 13 INT Blade - so sounds like you can get away with relatively low INT as a Bard in IWD too, if you manage scribing carefully?
    jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    There's a lore penalty, but that's largely irrelevant to a Blade anyhow.
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    jackjack said:

There's a lore penalty, but that's largely irrelevant to a Blade anyhow.

I have another Bard in my party (from the IWD NPC Mod) who has decent lore, so that shouldn't be an issue
    jackjacklolienJuliusBorisov