Skip to content

#11609 Large creatures should not wander aimlessly when blinded if an enemy is within melee range

SilvershadowsSilvershadows Member Posts: 28
edited February 2015 in IWD:EE Bugs (v1.4.0)

IWD EE version : 1.3.2058

--- Blindness

Normally ,a blinded enemy should attack the adjacent PCs and their allies.

In the dragon fight , Icasaracht was blinded by Nature’s Beauty ( Drd 7 ) and she acted ... strangely. The dragon just wandered the carven randomly and completely ignored everyone even all my party members were engaging her in melee. ( In fact , my people had to chase her during the whole fight .)

I haven’t try Blindness ( Wiz 2 ) in EE .

In the original game , if I blind Icasaracht with Blindness ( Wiz 2 ) , she fights as normal --- attacks the nearby PCs and only ignores them when no one in her “ sight ” .
Post edited by Troodon80 on

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I cast Feeblemind on her and the cutscene still triggered. She's also wearing a MINHP1, which makes her immune to the Feeblemindedness effect.

Blindness was changed in BG:EE or BG2:EE, and that seems to be the problem. Logged as #11609.
  • SilvershadowsSilvershadows Member Posts: 28
    edited February 2015
    Troodon80 said:

I cast Feeblemind on her and the cutscene still triggered. She's also wearing a MINHP1, which makes her immune to the Feeblemindedness effect.

Blindness was changed in BG:EE or BG2:EE, and that seems to be the problem. Logged as #11609.

Well , keep hacking her for 10 minutes , but no avail ( no cutscene no ending ) :(

Perhaps due to the area where I fight her might have some script malfunction ?

( Pure game , no mod . )

Hope the screenshot will be helpful

Post edited by Silvershadows on
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Silvershadows, did you cast Blindness on her first? If you did, that would likely be the problem rather than Feeblemind.
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    edited February 2015
    I have a suspicion this has to do with the LOS not extending beyond the foot circle of the .cre.

Normally a blinded .cre has a LOS value of 2 which for normally sized creatures extends slightly beyond their foot circles in all directions so they could still "see" adjacent creatures. The LOS of the .cres are not affected by their foot circle size and are always calculated as a circle with the center located at the center of the foot circle on the ground (the same point used for .vvcs/.bams as the origin 0,0,0).

For large and giant footcircled creatures, this has the following unintended effects:
    1. When LOS is reduced to a low value (such as via blindness), the LOS radius is actually smaller than their foot circle radius. Therefore, they will never see adjacent .cres.
    2. When the PCs approach any large creature that sits at the edge of the fog of war, they will only become visible when their center point/point of origin is revealed in the fog of war. This has the converse effect (am stating this from memory) that if all of your PCs are blinded, you will never be able to see or hit large creatures even if you are standing next to them.

To replicate behavior 1, I suggest Ctrl Q-ing Icasaracht and blinding her then trying to move her around
    To replicate behavior 2, I suggest blinding one of your PCs and moving into the fog of war alone and trying to approach a large creature.

Note that another strange and somewhat related behavior of LOS is: hardcoded maximum value of 15 (which is the default value) to reveal the fog of war, but .cres still appear at a larger distance within the fog of war if LOS is set to something greater than 15 (suggested value for testing: 24).

(am posting all of this from memory, I don't have the game with me to verify this atm)
  • SilvershadowsSilvershadows Member Posts: 28
    edited February 2015
    Troodon80 said:

@Silvershadows, did you cast Blindness on her first? If you did, that would likely be the problem rather than Feeblemind.

Sorry for the vague description , my bad . I did casted Blindness on her and I agree Feeblemind may not relate to the glitch .

But after spending two nights to test the final battle , I found out the situation may be a little more complicated .

Due to blindness , Icasaracht could become invincible in the most areas of the cavern . But there are a few places where the cutscene can be triggered properly , even if the dragon is blinded .

I have mark the " Safe Zone " on the map . ( I have tried many times --- first blinded the dragon , then surrounded her with melee characters within the purple areas . In her death , the cutscene was triggered .)

I may overlook some areas , since it is very hard to test the battle field inch by inch T_T