Skip to content

Cult of the Unseeing Eye not starting properly?

Hello all, encountered an unfortunate bug earlier today in multiplayer:
I went through the temple district heading towards the sewers to try to acquire Haer'Dalis, and talked my way through the speech from Gaal and the peasants, and then continued on and High Watcher Oisig never approached me. I have a few ideas why not, but I'm not sure if they matter. Regardless, days later when returning to come do the quest I can't find him in the Temple of Helm, and I can't get into the Old Tunnels (Keldorn isn't even in the sewers). Here are my possible explanations, but I don't know how to fix it:
-- I am an evil Fighter/Cleric, but I already got the Fighter Stronghold. Does that affect which Priest (Talos or Helm) shows up to give me the quest? I also can't find anyone in the Temple of Talos to give me the quest.
-- Maybe the quest giver tried to talk to me and I ran into the sewers too fast, and maybe that glitches his conversation?
-- Other bug because I didn't talk to him for so long?

Any help would be appreciated, and my quest log simply mentions that there is a cult but not what to do about it.

Comments

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    You know, there are days I think I dream bugs for BG2, because I swear up and down we've seen this issue before.

As an evil fighter/cleric I would think you should be getting the quest from the temple of Talos, not the temple of helm.

As to fighter stronghold, I am confused, I thought that pretty much only single class fighters could get the fighter stronghold...all the other class strongholds in a multi-class mix overrode fighters (read that somewhere I think, haven't tried it myself)...do you happen to have any mods installed?
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    @Gate70
    Do console commands work on a Mac? I have used them on a PC before, but haven't tried with a Mac. I am willing to, just don't know if it would work.

@Illydth
    No mods installed. I did the Fighter stronghold quest before I ever entered the Temple district, so I had my stronghold already before I ever witnessed Gaal's speech.
    @toanwrath: Yep, same way to turn them on, it's either ctrl-space or cmd-space, forget which. They'll work just fine. See the consolidated thread for modifications to baldur.ini (It'll be in the install package in your applications directory, you will likely have to do a "view contents" of the baldurs gate II package to get to it).

That's weird. Spawning the priest in the temple of talos should probably do it. If you don't want to wait for @Gate70, do a search on the forum for Unseeing Eye, a couple threads should pop up that will give more info.
    edited January 2014
    @Illydth
    Well I read through some threads, and didn't see the same issue anywhere. I also tried enabling console commands for my mac, but neither ctrl+space, cmd+space, nor any other combination I tried opened the CLUAConsole, and the issue hasn't resolved itself over time so I look pretty screwed. I am thinking of getting to the Temple in another game just to see if it is my whole game or just this one save file that has the issue.

EDIT: Fixed not having CLUAConsole work--apparently TextEdit is a terrible Mac tool for modifying the .ini file, but I downloaded another program which let me do it easily. Will test resummoning the Talos priest for the quest.
    Post edited by toanwrath on
    Alright, thank you @Gate70, resetting the value to 1 did not work but the console command to summon Nallabir fixed the quest for me, so thank you for the console command.
    @Gate70
    I didn't memorize the exact wording, but it said that the value was set to 2 (I believe). When I tried to enter the next command to reset the value to one, it said there was an error but it didn't really specify. I think I have an older save I can try doing it again with if that helps.
  • stormy35stormy35 Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2014
    I am experiencing the same problem with a blackguard as Charname. No mods installed and High watcher Oisig does not show up at the expected location to trigger this quest. When I entered the line : C:GetGlobal("GaalSpoke","AR0900"), it returned a 2.

I then entered C:SetGlobal("GaalSpoke","AR0900",1), it made Oisig appear on the streets and after a brief dialog, he returned to the church and was able to give me the quest. Cheers!
    @Gate70 or @Troodon80: Can either of you add this to the "Workarounds" thread at the top? I don't know the exact methods, but I think this is common enough and easy enough to work around.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Illydth this happens if your PC is evil or if he is evil AND a cleric?
    @Gate70: Sorry, what I meant was post it in the "Workarounds" thread as a topic. That's fine, I can take care of that. :)
  • Death RabbitDeath Rabbit Member Posts: 2
    Hope this isn't out of place - I am having the same issue, but following the workaround described here didn't work for me. I created Oisig via the console, and he did indeed tell me to go and speak to him. But when I did, he doesn't initiate an actual conversation, just snarls "Never betray trust. Such is the will of the vigilant one." I had a similar issue with one of the Freedom's Reign of Virtue merchants, but thought it was a bug related to that mod.

I have BG2 tweakpack, FRoV, and Item Upgrade installed. Steam version for PC. Help!
  • Death RabbitDeath Rabbit Member Posts: 2
    FIXED IT! I guess the glitch here involves my PC (NG Fighter/Thief) being good, and I have multiple strongholds installed. I entered the creature code for Arval (nharval) and he appeared, and would still speak to me in the Lathander temple. All is well.
  • King_NothingKing_Nothing Member Posts: 26
    What is the code if you play an evil char? Got the same problem