Skip to content

Wild Mage Additions

CheryChocieCheryChocie Member Posts: 47
So, I tried asking before but didn't get much help, so going to try again.

I really would like to play this mod again http://mods.jo-ge.net/bg/shaper.htm I tried installing it onto BG2:EE but it said that it requires ToB to function properly. Obviously, ToB is installed but clearly there's a file missing that was originally in ToB but not in EE. My question is, is there a way that you can track the installer to think ToB is installed or is there a way to just manually install this mod? I don't even know if it'll work but I'd like to try.

Thanks.

Comments

• iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    Seriously why does no one ever answer anyone about this? There isn't even a negative and I love this mod and am holding off on ever using Neera until it is EE compatible... T_T
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited January 2015
    I managed to install the main component of this mod ("New Wild Magic Spells") in IWD:EE, and it works like a charm.

Instructions:
    1. Download the wildmage17.rar file from the link in the top post.
    2. Extract it into the game directory (like you would any other mod).
    3. Open the file "WildMage/Setup-WildMage.TP2" in a text editor, find the line (near the top) that reads:
      REQUIRE_FILE ~Data/25Dialog.bif~ @10
      And add two slashes at the front:
      //REQUIRE_FILE ~Data/25Dialog.bif~ @10
    4. Continue to install the mod like you normally would (i.e. by double-clicking "Setup-WildMage.exe" if you're on Windows, or by running "weinstall wildmage" if you're on Linux).
    Enjoy!

Explanation:
    The "25Dialog.bif" file exists in the original BG2:ToB but not in the original BG1 and BG2:SoA. The file doesn't seem to be actually used by the mod in any way, so that line was probably just put there as a check to make sure the mod is not accidentally installed in an engine that misses the ToB features (like, you know, Wild Mages :wink: ...). IWD:EE has those features too of course, but it does not have the "25Dialog.bif" file, so the mod refuses to let you install it. Commenting out that line removes the check and lets the installation proceed.

Things I didn't try (please report your results ITT if you do):
    • Installing it in BG:EE or BG2:EE (but since they share the same engine as IWD:EE, I assume it will work fine).
    • Installing the other components of the mod ("SpellShaper Kit", "SpellShaper Kit - Avatar Change", "Misc Spell Modifications", and "Stationary BG1-Rhialto"). Though I suspect that all except for the last one (which references specific BG data files) will work.
    A word of warning regarding game balance:
    Rhialto is coded to appear after the first time you rest in an outdoors area in chapter 1 or later (i.e. not in the prologue). In BG2 (which the mod was made for), that's usually one of the quest areas outside of Athkatla (De'Arnise Keep / Druid Grove / etc.) and you'll have a medium-level party when you reach them. In IWD:EE, the first area that matches the condition is the Vale of Shadows, which you will reach as a low-level party. So if you rest there with this mod installed, your fledgeling adventurers will have to fight a level 30 Wildmage... :smile: (His AI is not very good though, so it's not an impossible battle if you know the game well.)
    On the flip side, when you do beat him, you get 19,000 XP which is more than you get for clearing out an entire level of the big undead-filled dungeon there, so decide for yourself when you think is an appropriate time to make him appear!
    Post edited by ineth on
    JuliusBorisovGrammarsaladlunarlolien
  • FunkaveFunkave Member Posts: 31
    Incredible, the spellweaver transformation and the new spells work perfectly!!
    lolien
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    It works awesome though word of warning unless i screwed up somewhere DO NOT use haughty pansy mode for BG1 because he will not be near candlekeep I haven't uninstalled and reinstalled because I'm lazy and just clua'd him in unfortunately i can only spawn him in as a squirrel or a form that seems to be for later in the mod. So I kinda missed the actual fight with him, still murdered the squirrel for the book though.
    lolien
  • CheryChocieCheryChocie Member Posts: 47
    Yea doesn't work for me because it keeps saying dialog.tlk is missing.
    lolien
    @CheryChocie Sounds like a problem with weidu, and not this mod specifically. Are you using the Windows/Mac or Linux version of the game? Did you try updating to the latest weidu?
    lolien
  • LillyhimeLillyhime Member Posts: 36
    Where can these spells be found if you install it in BGEE and BGEE2? Do you buy them, or do you need to shadow keeper them in?
    edited February 2015
    At some point
    - the first time you awake from resting in an "outdoors" area (e.g. outdoors in Trademeet in BG2) -
    you will be confronted with a short combat encounter which - if you survive - gives you a special "spellbook" item.

Your Wild Mage can learn the new Wild Magic spells from this book by right-clicking it in the inventory, then clicking the "Read" button, and closing the inventory again - a "dialog" will open that lets you study the book for new spells.

It doesn't let you learn all the new spells at once though; only the ones up to around 1 or 2 spell levels above your current max spell level. So you should keep the book in your inventory, and repeatedly "study" it again in the aforementioned way after each time you level up.

With a low-level BG1 party, the encounter from which you get the spellbook will be quite difficult to beat, so you might have to use the CTRL+Y cheat. In BG2 it shouldn't be much of a problem for your party though.
    lolien
  • LillyhimeLillyhime Member Posts: 36
    Alrighty! Thanks.
    lolien
    ineth said:

@CheryChocie Sounds like a problem with weidu, and not this mod specifically. Are you using the Windows/Mac or Linux version of the game? Did you try updating to the latest weidu?

Yea I don't really get the whole weidu thing or how to utilise it/compileit/make it work or whatever. Do I install it? Do I just put the files somewhere? I don't know. I would like to use this mod, Wild Mages are my favourite so yea, if you can give me an "explain it like I'm 5" explanation, it would be appreciated.
    Weidu is a mod installer for the Infinity Engine games, as well as a toolkit that allows modders to write such mods. It understands the game's data formats, and has smart installation routines which make it possible to have multiple mods installed side by side (even if they make modifications to the same game files).

Almost all mods that are available today for the BG/IWD/PST games, are Weidu based.

How to use and update the Weidu installer depends on your operating system:

Microsoft Windows

On Windows you normally don't have to download Weidu yourself, because the mods already come bundled with it.

For example when you download the "Wild Mage Additions" mod and extract it into your game directory, you'll see that it consists of an EXE file and a correspondingly named folder:
    Setup-WildMage.exe
    WildMage
    The folder contains the actual mod files, and the EXE file is nothing more than a renamed copy of the Weidu installer.

When executed, the Weidu installer looks at its own filename and figures out the name of the mod it should install from that (i.e. the part between the "Setup-" and ".exe", in this case "WildMage"). Then it looks for a folder (or TP2 file) with that name in the same directory, and tries to install it.

So if the mod has been updated recently and the mod author has done their job properly, the EXE file will be an up-to-date copy of Weidu and all you need to do to install the mod is double-click it.

However if the mod is old, the EXE file may be an old Weidu version, which is a problem for the EE games because only newer Weidu versions work correctly with them. So it needs to be updated:
    Auto-updating
    When run, the Setup-*.exe file (a.k.a. Weidu installer in disguise) actually doesn't just look at its own filename, but also looks for other Setup-*.exe files in the same directory, and if it sees that one is newer than the others it tries to replace them all with copies of that one.
    So one way to update the installer for an outdated mod is to extract the mod into the game directory but not install it yet, and then extract and install a newer mod first (in order to auto-update the first one in the process).
    Manual updating
    If for some reason that fails, or you don't want to install any other mods, or you want to make sure that you're using the absolute newest version of Weidu, you can also update it manually.

To do so, download the "Windows Binary" ZIP file from this page, and extract the weidu.exe that is inside it. (No need to extract any of the other files that are in that zip archive, as they are only useful for modders. As a user all you need is the weidu.exe.)

Then copy that weidu.exe file to the game directory, rename it so it's called like the existing EXE from the mod (i.e. "Setup-WildMage.exe" in our case), and if Windows asks if you really want to replace the existing file, click yes.

Linux

Infinity Engine mods don't tend to bundle a Linux version of the Weidu installer, so you need to install Weidu manually:
    [spoiler]
    1. Download the "GNU/Linux Binary" ZIP file from this page, and extract it somewhere.
    2. Among the extracted files you find a "bin" folder with two subfolders: "i386" for 32bit Linux, and "amd64" for 64bit Linux. Enter the correct one for your architecture, and grab the following three executable files from it:
      weidu
      weinstall
      tolower
    3. Move those three files into a folder that is in your $PATH (for example /usr/local/bin if you have admin rights).
    4. Delete the other extracted files, as they are only relevant for modders not normal users.
    [/spoiler]
    Then each time you want to install a mod, you would run
    weinstall <modname>
    in a terminal, with the name of the mod's extracted folder (or TP2 file) in place of <modname>.

However, Weidu on Linux needs all mod and game files to be converted to lowercase before doing that. Traditionally, the "tolower" executable has been used for that by Linux users running the Infinity Engine games in Wine, but this actually breaks the Linux versions of the EE games when applied to them (see discussion). There are ways to get it to work nonetheless (see previous link), but it's annoying, and the best bet right now for Linux players of the EE games is probaly to wait for a new Weidu version to (hopefully) provide a proper solution for this problems.

Mac OSX

I honestly don't know how it works there. Probably either like on Windows, or like on Linux.
    ineth said:

snip

Well I'll be, your trick with the putting it into the same directory and using another mod to update it worked, you're a star. Thank you kindly.

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Yea, I can't even get it installed it seems. It's directly looking for a black Ilse folder instead of looking for it in my steam folder.
    edited July 2015
    @DragonKing In order to install a mod, you have to extract it into the actual game folder (the one that has "baldur.exe" and "chitin.key" in it), and then run its "setup-*.exe".
    Post edited by ineth on
    OK I did not know that.
    OK, I seem to have the mod installed, and I did the editing, but the wild mage isn't showing up after I rest. So something isn't clicking here.
  • KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
    edited January 2016
    Has anyone else experienced a problem where casting Rodent Form does nothing? The spell in override folder seems to have no issues whatsoever, but in-game it simply doesn't do anything, while it should give its bonuses, replace itself with Ratatosk Shape and cast it on a wild mage. The issue happens in IWD:EE by the way.
    Post edited by Krotos on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Krotos said:

Has anyone else experienced a problem where casting Rodent Form does nothing? The spell in override folder seems to have no issues whatsoever, but in-game it simply doesn't do anything, while it should give its bonuses, replace itself with Ratatosk Shape and cast it on a wild mage. The issue happens in IWD:EE by the way.

Funny I never seemed to get that spell to work in bg2. I was surprised it worked in bg2:ee for the first time ever. May be a game engine differency whatchacallit.
    However, I was not aware this mod is playable for iwd:ee, too!

• KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
    lunar said:

Krotos said:

Funny I never seemed to get that spell to work in bg2. I was surprised it worked in bg2:ee for the first time ever. May be a game engine differency whatchacallit.
    However, I was not aware this mod is playable for iwd:ee, too!

It used to work for me for some time, then suddenly stopped. I have no clue, why.
  • qwerty123456qwerty123456 Member Posts: 67
    I've played with that mod for a while and fixed some spells and other issues, ratatosk shape in particular.
    Overall, though, it's still a mess. Many, if not all spells don't match their descriptions exactly.
    But it should work on any EE engine.
    edited May 2016
    @qwerty123456
    The BiG-World-Fixpack has some patches for this mod as well.

You may want to join efforts with those guys.

(The BiG-World-Fixpack is being developed for the BiG-World-Setup, but it can also be installed independently.)
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    Trying out the wildmage spell additions - for me at least the 2nd level dagger spell does not work. Haven't tried the rodent form yet or the summoning hoard of rabbits but I will next time to see if they work for me.

As for the wildmage you are expected to fight - for me he appeared in the graveyard district once; and another time (in another play through) at Nalia's keep.

Has anyone used the teddy bear yet? Can you imagine going into battle with a teddy bear in your left arm and fighting - I would think that your foes would stop in astonishment - LOL.
    I officially hate all of you who got this mod to freaking work even slightly.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Rhialto, if he were here, would need to thanked mightily not just for spells, but for carrying over a multiple-shot-spell mechanic to BG. It was used in Torment, but nowhere in the BG series, and it opens up nothing short of a world of new possibilities.
    edited December 2016
    chimeric said:

multiple-shot-spell mechanic

sorry, what do you mean by that?
  • Max_WangMax_Wang Member Posts: 53
    ineth said:

@qwerty123456
    The BiG-World-Fixpack has some patches for this mod as well.

You may want to join efforts with those guys.

(The BiG-World-Fixpack is being developed for the BiG-World-Setup, but it can also be installed independently.)

when i use the big world project i cannot find the wild mage addon on the list how do i add it to the list its the one mod that i really wish was on there. or are you saying that they are working on it atm?
    I don't know why isn't it showing up. You can install it separately, after bwp.
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    What "Big World Project" are you using, @Max_Wang ? The Big World SETUP?

The "BiG World Project" is a set of tools, scripts and a PDF guide for installing mods on BG2/BGT Classic. Not for EE.
    im using the "big world setup" i am able to install all the mods from a large list of mods on the program. the wild mage addon is the only mod ive wanted to add to that list but i dont know how.
    oh so it is safe to install after i do the big install from big world setup? i know some mods mess with it if you try to install them after.