Skip to content

lost, clueless, and generally in need of help

NightWardenNightWarden Member Posts: 62
edited February 2015 in General Modding
I'm attempting to add the BGEE classic movies mod into my Windows Vista system, and I've run into trouble. This is my very first attempt at modding, and at the moment I'm feeling a little helpless. I will deeply appreciate any help, especially if it's explained at a level I can understand.

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Can you provide a screenshot of your 00766 folder?
  • MeaninglessMeaningless Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2015
    Normally, you've to make a copy of the dialog.tlk to the "root" folder where your baldur.exe is, so there is where you probably should be running this installer as well.

The dialog.tlk (if missing from baldur.exe folder) can be found inside the lang folder, just pick the one of your language.
    Post edited by Meaningless on
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @NightWarden - It looks like the *contents* of the folder BGEEClassicMovies should be in the 00766 folder, not in a subfolder of 00766. You've got the mod files one level too deep.
    JuliusBorisovMusignyNightWardenCrevsDaak
  • NightWardenNightWarden Member Posts: 62
    edited February 2015
    Out of concern that I made a tremendous mess of things, I deleted everything and started from scratch. At this point I have successfully created an override folder and installed BG2 GUI for BG1 (thanks @Pecca for making it so easy). I've also done as @Meaningless suggested and copied dialog.tlk into this folder.
    Post edited by NightWarden on
    edited February 2015

Can you provide a screenshot of your 00766 folder?

Here is my updated 00766 folder:

@NightWarden - It looks like the *contents* of the folder BGEEClassicMovies should be in the 00766 folder, not in a subfolder of 00766. You've got the mod files one level too deep.

I observed that there are three folders within the BGEEClassicMovies folder: lang, lib, and movies. Should I copy these three sub-folders into the 00766 folder? If so, then should I allow them to replace the existing lang, lib, and movie folders that are already there? Also, when I read the readme that is associated with this mod, I am instructed to locate the baldur.ini in my documents section and manually add some lines. Should I add these lines before or after moving the files and attempting installation?
    Post edited by NightWarden on
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    edited February 2015

Normally, you've to make a copy of the dialog.tlk to the "root" folder where your baldur.exe is, so there is where you probably should be running this installer as well.

The dialog.tlk (if missing from baldur.exe folder) can be found inside the lang folder, just pick the one of your language.

I disagree.

What @AstroBryGuy said +
    You weidu version is too old.
    You need no dialog.tlk in your 00766 folder. It is located under the lang/ subdirectory and it should stay there.
    AstroBryGuy
    Musigny said:

I disagree.

What @AstroBryGuy said +
    You weidu version is too old.
    You need no dialog.tlk in your 00766 folder. It is located under the lang/ subdirectory and it should stay there.

I will delete dialog.tlk from the 00766 folder. How do I go about updating weidu?
    Musigny
    edited February 2015
    The Setup-*something*.exe is actually the weidu exec.
    When it is executed it proceeds to a kind of auto-update by checking all the file versions (all setup-something) in your directory and it overrides all those files with the most recent of them.
    Sometimes this is not enough.
    To be sure to get the current weidu 237, you may simply rename weidu.exe to one of your setup-something file.
    You can extract the weidu file from this archive : http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/WeiDU-Windows-237.zip
    AstroBryGuyNightWarden
    Musigny said:

The Setup-*something*.exe is actually the weidu exec.
    When it is executed it proceeds to a kind of auto-update by checking all the file versions (all setup-something) in your directory and it overrides all those files with the most recent of them.
    Sometimes this is not enough.
    To be sure to get the current weidu 237, you may simply rename weidu.exe to one of your setup-something file.
    You can extract the weidu file from this archive : http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/WeiDU-Windows-237.zip

Thanks. I've followed your suggestions, and part of the problem has been fixed. However, I've run into a new problem:

Any suggestion what to do next?
    Obviously you did something wrong.
    I simulated an installation of this mod on a clean copy of BGEE (with the weidu 237 version and both Setup-BGEEClassicMovies.exe and the BGEEClassicMovies directory under the 0766 directory) everything went fine.
    I did not use it though.

Try with a clean install of BGEE.

WeiDU v 23700 Log

Setup-BGEEClassicMovies.exe
    [./chitin.key] loaded, 495088 bytes
    [./chitin.key] 73 BIFFs, 35212 resources
    WARNING: parsing log [WeiDU.log]: Sys_error("WeiDU.log: No such file or directory")

Please choose the language in which you wish to play the game.
    If you later wish to play the game in a different language you will need to edit the file weidu.conf and reinstall your mods.
    0 [Czech]
    1 [German]
    2 [English]
    3 [Spanish]
    4 [French]
    5 [Italian]
    6 [Japanese]
    7 [Korean]
    8 [Polish]
    9 [Portuguese]
    10 [Russian]
    11 [Turkish]
    12 [Ukrainian]
    13 [Simplified Chinese]
    [.\lang\en_us/dialog.tlk] loaded, 4666687 bytes
    [.\lang\en_us/dialog.tlk] 34000 string entries

Using .\lang\en_us/dialog.tlk

Would you like to display the readme? [Y]es [N]o
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./lang/en_us/DATA/OHAREAS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./cache/DATA/OHAREAS.BIF]
    [./DATA/OHAREAS.BIF] 43371920 bytes, 246 files, 12 tilesets

Install Component [Restore BG1 movies to BG: EE]?
    [N]o, [Q]uit or choose one:
    1] Replace all movies
    2] Add missing movies
    Uninstalling All Other Subcomponents of [Restore BG1 movies to BG: EE]
    Done Uninstalling All Other Subcomponents of [Restore BG1 movies to BG: EE]

Installing [Restore BG1 movies to BG: EE -> Replace all movies] [v0.04]
    Copying 1 file ...
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BEREGOST.wbm copied to movies/BEREGOST.wbm, 1670031 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BEREGOST.wbm] to [movies/BEREGOST.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BG4LOGO.wbm copied to movies/BG4LOGO.wbm, 2917214 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BG4LOGO.wbm] to [movies/BG4LOGO.wbm]
    movies/BGENTER.wbm copied to BGEEClassicMovies/backup/0/BGENTER.wbm, 2947874 bytes
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BGENTER.wbm copied to movies/BGENTER.wbm, 2011454 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BGENTER.wbm] to [movies/BGENTER.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BGSUNRIS.wbm copied to movies/BGSUNRIS.wbm, 1692138 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BGSUNRIS.wbm] to [movies/BGSUNRIS.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BGSUNSET.wbm copied to movies/BGSUNSET.wbm, 1280041 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BGSUNSET.wbm] to [movies/BGSUNSET.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BHAAL.wbm copied to movies/BHAAL.wbm, 3496347 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BHAAL.wbm] to [movies/BHAAL.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BILOGO.wbm copied to movies/BILOGO.wbm, 567913 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BILOGO.wbm] to [movies/BILOGO.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BIOWBOTH.wbm copied to movies/BIOWBOTH.wbm, 3387826 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BIOWBOTH.wbm] to [movies/BIOWBOTH.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BWDRAGON.wbm copied to movies/BWDRAGON.wbm, 1058123 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/BWDRAGON.wbm] to [movies/BWDRAGON.wbm]
    movies/CAMP.wbm copied to BGEEClassicMovies/backup/0/CAMP.wbm, 2637846 bytes
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/CAMP.wbm copied to movies/CAMP.wbm, 3659754 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/CAMP.wbm] to [movies/CAMP.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/CNDLKEEP.wbm copied to movies/CNDLKEEP.wbm, 5548846 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/CNDLKEEP.wbm] to [movies/CNDLKEEP.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/CREDITS.wbm copied to movies/CREDITS.wbm, 16983025 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/CREDITS.wbm] to [movies/CREDITS.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/DAYNITE.wbm copied to movies/DAYNITE.wbm, 1329767 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/DAYNITE.wbm] to [movies/DAYNITE.wbm]
    movies/DEATHAND.wbm copied to BGEEClassicMovies/backup/0/DEATHAND.wbm, 1552530 bytes
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/DEATHAND.wbm copied to movies/DEATHAND.wbm, 6978911 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/DEATHAND.wbm] to [movies/DEATHAND.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/DUNGEON.wbm copied to movies/DUNGEON.wbm, 4682773 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/DUNGEON.wbm] to [movies/DUNGEON.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/DURLAG.wbm copied to movies/DURLAG.wbm, 18190976 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/DURLAG.wbm] to [movies/DURLAG.wbm]
    movies/ELDRCITY.wbm copied to BGEEClassicMovies/backup/0/ELDRCITY.wbm, 2646741 bytes
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/ELDRCITY.wbm copied to movies/ELDRCITY.wbm, 9771390 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/ELDRCITY.wbm] to [movies/ELDRCITY.wbm]
    movies/ENDCRDIT.wbm copied to BGEEClassicMovies/backup/0/ENDCRDIT.wbm, 32588303 bytes
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/ENDCRDIT.wbm copied to movies/ENDCRDIT.wbm, 15833699 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/ENDCRDIT.wbm] to [movies/ENDCRDIT.wbm]
    movies/ENDMOVIE.wbm copied to BGEEClassicMovies/backup/0/ENDMOVIE.wbm, 34368897 bytes
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/ENDMOVIE.wbm copied to movies/ENDMOVIE.wbm, 43264721 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/ENDMOVIE.wbm] to [movies/ENDMOVIE.wbm]
    movies/FRARMINN.wbm copied to BGEEClassicMovies/backup/0/FRARMINN.wbm, 2669325 bytes
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/FRARMINN.wbm copied to movies/FRARMINN.wbm, 12299552 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/FRARMINN.wbm] to [movies/FRARMINN.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/GNOLL.wbm copied to movies/GNOLL.wbm, 16921772 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/GNOLL.wbm] to [movies/GNOLL.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/INFELOGO.wbm copied to movies/INFELOGO.wbm, 2825085 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/INFELOGO.wbm] to [movies/INFELOGO.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/IRONTHRN.wbm copied to movies/IRONTHRN.wbm, 5886938 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/IRONTHRN.wbm] to [movies/IRONTHRN.wbm]
    movies/MINEFLOD.wbm copied to BGEEClassicMovies/backup/0/MINEFLOD.wbm, 4683556 bytes
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/MINEFLOD.wbm copied to movies/MINEFLOD.wbm, 2294829 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/MINEFLOD.wbm] to [movies/MINEFLOD.wbm]
    movies/NASHKELL.wbm copied to BGEEClassicMovies/backup/0/NASHKELL.wbm, 3104349 bytes
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/NASHKELL.wbm copied to movies/NASHKELL.wbm, 2964878 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/NASHKELL.wbm] to [movies/NASHKELL.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/NITEDAY.wbm copied to movies/NITEDAY.wbm, 1286425 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/NITEDAY.wbm] to [movies/NITEDAY.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/PALACE.wbm copied to movies/PALACE.wbm, 1988678 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/PALACE.wbm] to [movies/PALACE.wbm]
    movies/REST.wbm copied to BGEEClassicMovies/backup/0/REST.wbm, 3226995 bytes
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/REST.wbm copied to movies/REST.wbm, 714654 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/REST.wbm] to [movies/REST.wbm]
    movies/RESTDUNG.wbm copied to BGEEClassicMovies/backup/0/RESTDUNG.wbm, 2748728 bytes
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/RESTDUNG.wbm copied to movies/RESTDUNG.wbm, 721630 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/RESTDUNG.wbm] to [movies/RESTDUNG.wbm]
    movies/RESTINN.wbm copied to BGEEClassicMovies/backup/0/RESTINN.wbm, 2758841 bytes
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/RESTINN.wbm copied to movies/RESTINN.wbm, 1305859 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/RESTINN.wbm] to [movies/RESTINN.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/SEWER.wbm copied to movies/SEWER.wbm, 12853192 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/SEWER.wbm] to [movies/SEWER.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/TAVERN.wbm copied to movies/TAVERN.wbm, 5549056 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/TAVERN.wbm] to [movies/TAVERN.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/TSRLOGO.wbm copied to movies/TSRLOGO.wbm, 5035083 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/TSRLOGO.wbm] to [movies/TSRLOGO.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/WOTC.wbm copied to movies/WOTC.wbm, 936308 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/WOTC.wbm] to [movies/WOTC.wbm]
    movies/WRECK.wbm copied to BGEEClassicMovies/backup/0/WRECK.wbm, 2662913 bytes
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/WRECK.wbm copied to movies/WRECK.wbm, 12249995 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/WRECK.wbm] to [movies/WRECK.wbm]
    BGEEClassicMovies/movies/WYVERN.wbm copied to movies/WYVERN.wbm, 3209387 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/movies/WYVERN.wbm] to [movies/WYVERN.wbm]
    Copying 1 file ...
    lang/en_us/movies/INTRO.wbm copied to BGEEClassicMovies/backup/0/INTRO.wbm, 19137622 bytes
    BGEEClassicMovies/lang/en_us/movies/INTRO.wbm copied to lang/en_us/movies/INTRO.wbm, 32516868 bytes
    Copied [BGEEClassicMovies/lang/en_us/movies/INTRO.wbm] to [lang/en_us/movies/INTRO.wbm]
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./lang/en_us/DATA/DEFAULT.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./cache/DATA/DEFAULT.BIF]
    [./DATA/DEFAULT.BIF] 6201616 bytes, 522 files, 0 tilesets
    Copied [movidesc.2da] to [override/movidesc.2da]
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./lang/en_us/DATA/SCRIPTS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./cache/DATA/SCRIPTS.BIF]
    [./DATA/SCRIPTS.BIF] 5541436 bytes, 1008 files, 0 tilesets
    Copied [ar3300.bcs] to [override/ar3300.bcs]

Already Asked About [Restore BG1 movies to BG: EE]
    Saving This Log:
    BGEECLASSICMOVIES/SETUP-BGEECLASSICMOVIES.TP2 0 0 Installed ~Replace all movies~

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Restore BG1 movies to BG: EE -> Replace all movies

WeiDU Timings
    unmarshal KEY 0.000
    OUTER_INNER_PATCH_SAVE 0.000
    <<<<<<<< 0.000
    parsing .ids files 0.000
    unmarshal BIFF 0.000
    load TLK 0.000
    DEFINE_PATCH_FUNCTION 0.000
    DEFINE_ACTION_FUNCTION 0.000
    OUTER_SET 0.000
    INCLUDE 0.000
    BUT_ONLY 0.000
    ACTION_DEFINE_ASSOCIATIVE_ARRAY 0.000
    ACTION_PHP_EACH 0.000
    Parsing TP2 files 0.000
    eval_pe 0.000
    DEFINE_ACTION_MACRO 0.000
    parsing .bcs files 0.000
    OUTER_INNER_PATCH 0.000
    parsing .baf files 0.000
    READ_* 0.000
    LAUNCH_ACTION_FUNCTION 0.000
    COPY_LARGE 0.000
    DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO 0.000
    COPY 0.000
    marshal BCS 0.000
    process_patch2 0.016
    saving files 0.016
    unmarshal TLK 0.016
    loading files 0.031
    Parsing TPA files 0.031
    stuff not covered elsewhere 0.031
    TOTAL 0.141
    NightWarden
    edited February 2015
    Musigny said:

Obviously you did something wrong.
    I simulated an installation of this mod on a clean copy of BGEE (with the weidu 237 version and both Setup-BGEEClassicMovies.exe and the BGEEClassicMovies directory under the 0766 directory) everything went fine.
    I did not use it though.

Try with a clean install of BGEE.

Thanks so much for your help.

I have to say though, to me it wasn't obvious. I deleted and started from scratch 3 times before I managed to install it. My success ultimately came from doing exactly what you did...I installed the mod directly onto a clean copy of BGEE.

In each of my previous attempts I had already installed BG2 GUI for BG1 prior to installing BGEEClassicMovies. Apparently these two must conflict with one another, or at least they do if BG2 GUI for BG1 is installed first.

After installation, I have run into a new issue regarding this mod. The readme section instructs me to manually copy some entries into the baldur.ini file located in the documents section of my computer, which I did. When I tried to play the game, the game crashed and I was told that a crash dump file had been generated.

Any suggestions?

Hi,
    I created a new game with no issue.
    I also added the lines referenced in the readme. Everything was ok. I was able to play those movies.
    One thing though : my baldur.ini had no endline comma on the last line so I added one prior to copy-pasting the new entries.

If you are sure to have a problem with the mod I suggest you send the bug to the author on the SHS forum.
    He is currently refreshing the mod which was initially created for BGEE 1.0. (posts dated from January 20th).
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    Delete or rename the Baldur.ini file, it is broken. The game will create a new one and shouldn't crash anymore.

You don't have to edit the file to add the content described in the readme. This addition only allows to replay the videos from the game menu.

If you want to edit the file, open the Baldur.ini.txt file included in the same directory as the readme. It contains the lines to add, but with the right format contrary to copying from the readme. You need to copy this content somewhere in the middle of the lines in Baldur.ini that look similar. Not a the beginning of the file, neither at the very end, otherwise the format won't be right and the game will crash.
    NightWardenMusigny
    Isaya said:

Delete or rename the Baldur.ini file, it is broken. The game will create a new one and shouldn't crash anymore.

Thank you! I deleted the baldur.ini as you suggested and suddenly everything started working.
    Musigny
    @Musigny @AstroBryGuy Thank you both for the time you invested to help me. Along with Isaya, you guys rock!
    Musigny
    @Musigny or @Isaya

After installing my first seven mods, my 00766 folder is starting to look quite cluttered. Would you mind taking a look at it?

At this point, is it okay to delete the setup applications, tp2's, txt's, and debugs?

mod.jpg 146.3K
    Without the setup applications you won't be able to uninstall the mods if you need to. And if there is a problem with a mod, the DEBUG files are often very useful for figuring out the issue.

Apparently, WeiDU does have a feature that if you create a folder called 'debug', it will put the .DEBUG files in there. I've not tried it, but it's in the WeiDU README. That would clean things up a bit for you.

http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU-Changes.txt
    MusignyNightWarden
    edited February 2015

Without the setup applications you won't be able to uninstall the mods if you need to. And if there is a problem with a mod, the DEBUG files are often very useful for figuring out the issue.

Apparently, WeiDU does have a feature that if you create a folder called 'debug', it will put the .DEBUG files in there. I've not tried it, but it's in the WeiDU README. That would clean things up a bit for you.

http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU-Changes.txt

Thanks. I created a debug folder and moved the existing debug files there. I also created a folder for the setup apps and moved them to that location.

Is there anything left that is unneeded? Do you think it will be okay to move the setup app txt files into my newly created folder, or should I leave them in their current places (.txt and .tp2)?

The directory may look messy but there is no reason to reorganize the files.
    The setup-mod.exes are unlikely to find their tp2 files if those exe were moved to a separate directory.
    Potentially you need all of them in the baldur 00766 directory if you intend to modify or uninstall something.

This being said, nowadays the disks are fast and when I want to redeploy a set of mods, I prefer to completely delete the whole content in 00766 and restore a backup of the original game safely kept somewhere else in the tree.
    NightWarden
    If you move the .tp2 files, then if you need to uninstall or reinstall an mod, WeiDU won't be able to do it unless you move things back first.

Move it if you want, but when you want to change or uninstall a mod and you keep getting error messages, that will be why.
    MusignyNightWarden

If you move the .tp2 files, then if you need to uninstall or reinstall an mod, WeiDU won't be able to do it unless you move things back first.

Move it if you want, but when you want to change or uninstall a mod and you keep getting error messages, that will be why.

Thanks to both of you for responding.

I've decided to temporarily keep the setup apps in a separate folder, and once I've completed installing all 27 mods, I'll move everything back into the main folder.