Skip to content

New portrait for Neera

AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
[Update: Newer version(s) below in the thread.]

Neera has been one of my favourite NPCs since I first met her. But her portrait is IMHO one of the worst in BG2 (different size, style and color scheme; blurry...). So this week I decided to make a run for it! Here it is, steaming hot from Photoshop:

I will upload the BMP files in a while, still got some ingame color and contrast corrections to verify.
Post edited by Astafas on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I have been having problems uploading .jpg files to the forums lately. Whenever I do so they appear as broken images for some reason. Probably another vanilla quirk. Try uploading .bmp instead since those seem to work.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    While I find most of your art your post to this forum pretty awesome, I'm not really a fan of that alternate Neera, Astafas. Something about her face seems... fugly to me.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I agree charisma is definately not meant to be tied strongly to physical beauty, if only because beauty is really, really subjective. Fat, thin, etc, all are a mix of biological predispositions and personal preference. Thus you never really could reliably rate beauty the way intelligence, strength etc could be quantified. 3.x completely untied physical attractiveness from charisma, but wisely included the caveat that very charismatic individuals tend to be distinctive looking rather than beautiful. Beauty is probably best tied to constitution imho, as healthier specimens of a species tend to be more attractive, but I generally don't think its a wise thing to have a 'universal standard of beauty'.

Anyways, iirc beauty is tied strongly to charisma in the older editions of DnD, other than those featuring comliness as a stat. The original Deities and Demigods often features two charisma scores for hideously monstrous deities, one incredibly low for non-followers, and a very good one for followers.

@Astafas The pic is different, I think you made Neera look like a halfling imho! But thats fine by me, halfling womenfolk are short of portraits outside IWD, land of relatively equal portrait opportunity. The pic looks decent though, and appropriately mischevious.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I think her looking like an elf, non-human race, is okay. She is supposed to look more elven than human, as her enemies calling her 'elf' is a running joke.
  • DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173
    Heindrich said:

Encase anyone has missed this gem from @Nixxi image

This is definitely my personal favourite for Neera that I've come across thus far.

ps: Oh here's the link to her DeviantArt and the full version...

http://nixxical.deviantart.com/gallery/

This is my favourite also and, I think, the best of Nixxi's collection. ;)

ps Having seen what @smeagolheart did with the Kivan portrait in the other thread, I'm wondering if a similar magic could be worked on this? :)
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    To sum up the feedback, my Neera portrait is too alien/elven, too human and too halfling. :-D But thanks for some great input, I will get back to PS today and continue working.
  • DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173
    Thanks @Astafas, it was something along those lines I was hoping for! I'll try it out right now ;)
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

I like to use this portrait for Neera:

IMO, the short, "punky" haircut better suits her spunky personality, and the scar on her face is reflective of the fact that she is well-traveled and has already endured a number of (mis)adventures even before meeting your party.

I like to use this portrait for Neera:

IMO, the short, "punky" haircut better suits her spunky personality, and the scar on her face is reflective of the fact that she is well-traveled and has already endured a number of (mis)adventures even before meeting your party.

And the bondage collar?

Ps thats Imoen! ;)
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Your new Neera looks like a cross dresser :D

Your new Neera looks like a cross dresser :D

Really? Not seeing that, personally. I think its looking better though.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    do they sell purple hair dye in the forgotten realms?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

do they sell purple hair dye in the forgotten realms?

Wild surge! :wink:
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    @Astafas, this is a very nice portrait!
    Thanks @Musigny! :-)
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @Astafas Wow your work has really come on in leaps and bounds! Very welldone! That Neera portrait looks totally at home among the defaults. It's awesome to see the artists we have here improving before our very eyes. :smiley:
  • NaturalBornKielerNaturalBornKieler Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 407
    @Astafas, I like your portrait in general but the unequal eyes are disturbing me. Her right eye is round and human, her left eye is narrowed, crooked and elven. Or something like that, don't know how to express it better.

Also, in this portrait she looks too grown-up. She is sort of a spoiled teenager, a brat. Nixxi's version represents this in the best way, I think. And I also don't find much fault with the original pic.
    @Heindrich Thanks man!

@NaturalBornKieler There is a photograph of an actual person used as base for this portrait. Both eyes have gotten exactly the same enlargement and angle. But as you probably now, faces aren't perfectly symmetrical, and her face is also slightly turned here.
  • NaturalBornKielerNaturalBornKieler Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 407
    Astafas said:

@NaturalBornKieler There is a photograph of an actual person used as base for this portrait. Both eyes have gotten exactly the same enlargement and angle. But as you probably now, faces aren't perfectly symmetrical, and her face is also slightly turned here.

Funny, even though it's based on a real person, the eyes strike me as unnatural. On the other hand, the rest of the face has a very realistic effect. I like her "smirk" very much. I know that faces are not symmetrical in reality, but if you look at the standard BG2 portraits, most of them are.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    From the zoom in the big picture there is a lot of detail on her facial features, yet her hair is not as defined in fact it is blurry, why is that? I can kinda understand why her back hair would be blurry but not her bangs.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited February 2015
    lunar said:

Neera, with a meddling 11 cha, not so much. I always thought her original portrait is too beautiful for her cha score. No body acknowledges her beauty or complements her looks in the game, afaik. Well, Anomen tries but he is a jerk with high testosterone, and horny males are known for showering any female with compliments if they think they have a chance of scoring.

Then you have to count the MainChar as one of them since the game DOES offer a possibility to compliment her. Something about expecting to run into a beautiful half-elven wild mage when setting off from Candlekeep. You have to romance or court her for that, I think.

I like her original portrait but that being said, @SmilingSword 's pictures are drop dead gorgeous. Maybe not for her but I can definitely see myself using something like that for a female MainChar.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607

From the zoom in the big picture there is a lot of detail on her facial features, yet her hair is not as defined in fact it is blurry, why is that? I can kinda understand why her back hair would be blurry but not her bangs.

Neera has back hair? That's my fetish.

Astafas said:

Funny, even though it's based on a real person, the eyes strike me as unnatural. On the other hand, the rest of the face has a very realistic effect. I like her "smirk" very much. I know that faces are not symmetrical in reality, but if you look at the standard BG2 portraits, most of them are.
    Its not really any weirder than Jaheira in BG2... her portrait looks very strange to me, always has. Not at all ugly, but very offkilter.