Skip to content

[MODDING HELP]So...I have this Irenicus copy...

CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
edited February 2015 in General Modding
Somebody created him, I don't remember who because I received it in an e-mail that is long forgotten (Sorry. If you happen to stumble upon this thread and come to find that it is indeed your creation, then let me know and I'll give you proper credit).
Long story short, I'm trying to get started in the BGEE Modding community and I'd love to enhance this character.
The spells are basically an exact copy of Irenicus' spells in the Cutscenes (and a few normal spells like Sunfire, Wish and Spell Trigger that I added just for fun) which are mostly Insta-chunk spells and self-restoration spells, also including a couple teleportation spells, which are a single-person teleportation and a party teleportation spell (pretty neat!).
What I'm wanting to enhance is the visual effects of these spells. This character was created for the original BG2, and he just happened to work when I imported him to BGEE, but when I import him into BG2EE, his spells disappear. I'll export him in BG2EE, open him up in EEKeeper and it'll tell me "Some spells assigned to this character were not found in the database. If you save this character, those spells will not be saved."
I haven't full figured out EEKeeper and I'm not even sure if Infinity Engine works with BGEE/BG2EE, but I want to be able to full convert this character over to BG2EE and I want to update the visuals and such.

So basically; I want to enhance the visual effects into my own creation, keeping them as Insta-Chunk spells with a few non Insta-Chunk ( but visually modified) spells, such as a visually modified Sunfire.
An example of how I might want the visuals to change is that maybe I would want to see the visual of a Protection Against Evil (The lightning type effect that erupts from 3 parts of the ground surrounding you and meeting at the top above your chars head), followed by a Draw Upon Holy Might visual (Best explained by saying it looks like a beam of light coming from the sky upon the Caster) and finally followed by the Sunfire visual and AOE damage erupting from the caster.

Is there ANYBODY who can help me achieve this? I'm really desperate to get started on this because I've been wanting to ever since i got this char, but at the time I was busy with school and now have a lot of free time after work and want to get this done so I can learn more about Modding (I can also use this as an example project for college when I get there! So please assist me!)

I currently only have EEKeeper. If I need anything else to get this project started, please list what I need!

Thanks to everybody in advance.
Post edited by CaeDares on

Comments

• CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    Bump. Changed the title to say [MODDING HELP] to hopefully attract more attention to this thread.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    I would recommend downloading dltcep and learning how to use it to modify your spells and their effects.

As for why your character doesn't work in BG2EE is I assume because the spells you have added have not been installed so you have to install them in the BG2EE folder or copy them over from the BGEE override folder to the BG2EE override folder.

I would recommend downloading dltcep and learning how to use it to modify your spells and their effects.

As for why your character doesn't work in BG2EE is I assume because the spells you have added have not been installed so you have to install them in the BG2EE folder or copy them over from the BGEE override folder to the BG2EE override folder.

Thanks. I totally forgot that the modified spells had to be put into my override folder.

And thank you for mentioning dltcep
    While I'm trying to get a grip on DLTCEP, I'm a bit confused as to where I'm supposed to get these spell images and Projectile Animations. I opened up a few of the already-modded-spells that come with that Irenicus clone and I'm just utterly confused. under "Projectile Animation" it shows "1-??? (Unknown)", for spellbook icon it says "SPWI908C", and for School and Secondary Type it has different things that say "0x05-Unknown" or something along that line. Where can I find these? Am I suppose to have them downloaded and put into the DLTCEP folders or...?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CaeDares

You don't want a projectile animation, you just want to add some new effects to a spell, and have those effects show some fancy animations.

I don't know if there's an opcode to do that or of each spell only has one animation... but if the latter, you can just add new effects with opcode 146 ("cast spell") and reference a separate new spell (that you'll have to create), which has no effect but has a different animation.

You might try looking at Near Infinity as well - functionally it's similar to DLCTEP, but people generally prefer one or the other. Might as well try both and see which camp you fall into!

I understand that, I was just giving an example of what I wasn't understanding.
    But ignore my last comment because I quickly figured out it was because I was dumb and ignored doing the setup. I should probably slow it down a bit lol.
    Anyways, right now I'm just increasing the damage outcome of the Sunfire spell and trying to figure out how to add different Spell Casting Animations that take effect in certain orders before the spell is actually cast. If you take what I attached to my original post and put it in your override along with the character in the character folder, then use that characters spells, youll know what I'm talking about.
    CaeDares said:

You don't want a projectile animation, you just want to add some new effects to a spell, and have those effects show some fancy animations.

I don't know if there's an opcode to do that or of each spell only has one animation... but if the latter, you can just add new effects with opcode 146 ("cast spell") and reference a separate new spell (that you'll have to create), which has no effect but has a different animation.

You might try looking at Near Infinity as well - functionally it's similar to DLCTEP, but people generally prefer one or the other. Might as well try both and see which camp you fall into!

I understand that, I was just giving an example of what I wasn't understanding.
    But ignore my last comment because I quickly figured out it was because I was dumb and ignored doing the setup. I should probably slow it down a bit lol.
    Anyways, right now I'm just increasing the damage outcome of the Sunfire spell and trying to figure out how to add different Spell Casting Animations that take effect in certain orders before the spell is actually cast. If you take what I attached to my original post and put it in your override along with the character in the character folder, then use that characters spells, youll know what I'm talking about.
    Also, why can't I play sounds!?
    You can, but you must select the sound you want from the list which believe comes up when you hit the browse button, and for icons you must click on the gray square where the icon would be.
    CaeDares

You can, but you must select the sound you want from the list which believe comes up when you hit the browse button, and for icons you must click on the gray square where the icon would be.

I have. Several times, and then there is a "Play Sound" button. I click it and nothing happens. I've tried playing several different sounds to no effect.

Also, I can't seem to find the "Sunray" visual animation. There is a huge list of different spells, a lot of them look like copies of each other and I just can't find it. I can't seem to find a reference to what is what either.
    You can find the spell name of the spell you wish to copy in eekeeper and then run a search in dltcep for that name, and for the sound not working close dltcep, open a new spell and see if it works, also I do not know if you will have the same issues I have, but always use "save as" when saving a spell or it will not save correctly.
    CaeDares

You can find the spell name of the spell you wish to copy in eekeeper and then run a search in dltcep for that name, and for the sound not working close dltcep, open a new spell and see if it works, also I do not know if you will have the same issues I have, but always use "save as" when saving a spell or it will not save correctly.

Nope. Playing sounds straight up does not work.
    I also don't seem to have any problems when I use the normal Save button.

Also, I found the Sunfire effect and such, but I tried creating a new spell using the original spell and now the spell doesn't work at all. With my effects and such added to the spell it froze the game after it finished casting it. I took all the effects and such off and now he just infinitely casts the spell over and over again, except nothing happens.
    Put up the spell and exactly what you want to do and I will see if I can fix it.
    CaeDares

Put up the spell and exactly what you want to do and I will see if I can fix it.

Ok from what I looked at you put your effects in the wrong spot you want to remove that effect in the third tab and make effects in the 4th tab.
    lolienCaeDares
    If that doesn't fix your problem let me know.
    lolienCaeDares
    It conjured the effects like you said it would, but they weren't delayed. It's as if all the spell visuals happened at once, and the spell didn't even go off. There was no Sunfire explosion, not even the animation for it.
    Ok, when you look at the original spell it is casting a 2nd spell, SPWI523D, this spell is your sunfire damage and effect. What you are currently doing with sunfire is adding graphical animations to self. To change this add 2 more effects.

Protection from spell: SPWI523D <- set that as the resource when you edit it
    Cast Spell at Point: SPWI523D <- set that as the resource when you edit it, set type to 1

Then to edit the projectile you want to modify the spell, SPWI523D, this will allow you to set the damage, healing, and type of projectile such as shooting chain lightning instead of a fireball.
    CaeDares
    Quick question before I do this: am I editing SPWI523 and setting the resource as SPWI523D or am I editing the SPWI523D?
    You are setting the resource as SPWI523D, which you projectile that deals the damage and is sent towards the targets. You can edit that to change the damage numbers, damage type, or even the animation that hits the enemy by changing the projectile animation.
    CaeDares
    I have achieved what I originally set out to do. Thank you for all your help.

I still have one more problem though, if you looked at the JON spells in the file I posted in my OP in the game, you'll notice that he continues to chant the spell throughout the entire sequence until the actually kill spell / projectile is sent forth. When I cast the Sunfire spell, everything works properly, but he doesn't continue chanting the spell. He casts it almost instantly, chanting a few words, stops chanting, then the effects take place and after all the effects the sunfire hits. How can I edit this spell so that he continues the chant until everything is complete?
    Forgot to post the RAR file with the nearly finished spell. Sorry for the double post, couldn't figure out how to edit it into my last post.
    edited February 2015
    First thing testing the spell I would highly recommend adding that protection from effect I gave you so you don't kill yourself using the spell. Second for the spell effects to go off while casting place those effects on the "casting features" tab so move all the 3d graphical components to there if you wish to see them while the caster is casting. Third set those components to "self" rather than "pre-target" so they apply. Fourth to change the casting duration look at your "extended effects" tab and look for "speed" change the number in the box to the duration in seconds you want the casting to take so the 3 in there already has the cast take "3" seconds or half an in game round to complete the cast. A 6 would most likely be what you are wanting.

I hope this helps. :smile:
    CaeDares
    Thank you so much. If know all I had to do was list them under Casting Features I would have done that a long time ago, lol. My char doesn't need to protection because he's virtually invincible from all in-game damage. There was somebody, however, that created a spell that was able to kill him...But it was a heavily modded spell, so I should've expected it.
    It turns out I actually wanted a 9 If I wanted him to continue chanting for most/all of the spell :P.
    Thank you so much for all your help. It's time for me to explore DLTCEP some more and make even more spells utterly powerful.
    The Sunfire doesn't automatically kill everybody, though. I start up a new game every time I modify the spell and cast it inside the Inn and the Mage guy (Firebeard?) always seems to live while everybody else dies, even though I have the spell set to bypass resistances and whatnot. Is there a way to improve the all out damage of this spell?

To anybody wanting to see the spell, here it is.
    yup, you just have to modify the effects on the spell SPWI523D, change the part with the roll which I believe is 5d6 which is 5x6 which is 30 damage max, so the damage range would be 5-30 damage, and make sure to check each level of SPWI523D as it may change damage with your level.
    CaeDares
    Awesome. Thank you so much for your help.