Skip to content

Shapeshifting should deactivate the off hand (including shields).

justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
edited March 2015 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
Repro steps:
1. Load the attached save game
2. Observe that "Evan" has a buckler equipped in his off hand slot.
3. Tell Evan to shapeshift into a fire salamander.

Observed:
The salamander's plysala.itm weapon is equipped and selected, but does not replace the visible quick weapons. Evan still gets the AC bonus that the shield provides.

Expected:
The salamander's plysala.itm should replace all other weapons in the quick weapon slots regardless of whether a shield was equipped at the time the polymorph was activated. The shield should be deactivated by shapeshifing and only magical bonuses should be given (such as the dex bonus).

Notes: I (@Tresset) am not entirely sure on the intended behavior of shapeshifts and the off hand slot. I think I got it right though...

Original report:
I noticed on my current Avenger Druid run that the Fire Salamander Shapeshift in BG EE checks for the PCs Weapon Proficiency in spears and gives a 3 point thAC0 penalty if there is none. However, in BG2 EE no such check seems to be made. I'm uncertain in which game the Bug is present since considering the PC to be proficient for as long as he is shapeshifted would also make sense.
Also, the Spear icon does not show up on the bottom of the screen, when shifting (weapon/fist icons stay in place). I have, however, been unable to recreate this upon creating new avengers.
These are minor things that are in no way taking away much of the fun. It's just my favorite class kit! ;)
Post edited by Tresset on

Comments

• justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    Found out what has been preventing the spear icon from being displayed: removing the buckler on the offhand did the trick! I still think it's a bug even if I now understand where it came crawling from...
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I am certain that the proficiency issue is known since I reported it way back when...
    Oops, i was unable to find it, so i thought i'd report it. In your opinion: which game handles salamanders as they should be? Just because I'm curious...
    BG2:EE is what it should be like. It is likely you can't find a report for this on the forums because I reported it on the Devs' internal tracker way back when I still had access to that...

The flind form of the Polymorph Self spell is also affected and I included it in my report.

If you want I could give you a hotfix for these two forms.
    That would be great! Thank you a lot. Didn't know about the Flind. It takes away a lot more usefulness from that form, since mages do not get access to halberds and also have a harsher penalty.
    Repro steps added.
    Thanks, I think that sums it up perfectly! Now i know what a proper report should look like.