Skip to content

New Sword Discovered (sorta)

Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
Benn lurking for a little while and don't usually post on boards unless it's worthwhile. Anyway, I have BGEE for Android and recently decided to do a power run for the fun of it. In order to do this, I removed the experience caps and created a character for Black Pits II that I was going to port over to BGEE. The result was a ridiculous dual-class Shadowdancer / Fighter (28/29).

So what's an overpowered character without the gear? I recognized that some of the Black Pits II gear was also available in BGEE and it only seemed natural that equipping them would survive the transition. I tested this and it did indeed work. Obviously, those items that were *not* available in BGEE did not make it, forcing me to forfeit Balduran's Platemail. This got me thinking, "Is there anything surprising that can make the transition?"

In my obsessive way, I created a save point in Black Pits II where I was loaded with cash, and with every reload, I purchased different longswords and armors and created a new export file. I then imported these characters into BGEE one by one, taking note of the strongest swords and armors that made the cut.

As one would expect, there were no surprises...except for one. The Sword of Flame +1 survives the port over to BGEE but it's no longer the Sword of Flame. There's nothing "special" about it in terms of properties (seems identical to the Burning Earth), but it does make an aesthetic difference and the description is amusing.

Aesthetically, when equipped, it causes your character to pulse red, either on parts of the body (I saw the shoulders once) or the whole body. There were times when he didn't pulse at all as well. I tried to rationalize this as the glow of the armor from holding a flipping flaming sword, but it's probably just a really cool glitch. Unlike the Burning Earth, the flame is sometimes normal, sometimes multi-colored, and sometimes blackish. Weirdly enough, it's seems like these properties vary on reloads.

The name of the sword? This is the amusing part. It's called, "Yes, you are free to go." What's funny is that the description reads, "No, now get back to work!" You would think something so ambivalent would be a cursed item.

SIAP, but I did both a general Google search and a forum search and neither turned up anything. If it's already out there, I'll chalk it up as needing to work on my search skills. In case this is new, I'm attaching photos to this post.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    That is the Sword of Flame +1. I am unsure why there is data for it in BG1:EE.

But there are ways to do this with any item. All you have to do is extract the Item file from BG2:EE and put it in BG1:EE's override folder.

There is a lot of stuff you are misunderstanding about how the game works here. This is no mystery at all to one such as me who is experienced in the function of the game engine.
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    Yes. You are right. I'll have to edit my post because I was writing from memory. It's the Sword of Flame +1, not the Daystar.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I can see it now:
    Developer: "it's my wedding anniversary, can I leave early?"
    Team leader: "I have a present for you"
    Developer: "oh awesome, thanks!"
    Team leader: "..."
    Developer: "dammit!"
    ^^^ Ha! I had similar thoughts when I first saw it!!
    Wanna see something cool? Is Blackrazor! In BG1:EE!!!

And it killed an ogre by level drain!
    Nice! I was wondering about other oddities and pecularities (as far as interesting item descriptions go).
    The odd descriptions are caused by the invalid string references that the items have when you do this sort of thing.

Check out more awesome stuff which can be done!

What is that staff my Wild mage is holding?

Wait! What spell is he casting?

TIMESTOP!!!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Tresset stop trolling people around with a slightly edited game and get into real trolling by using GemRB to make a 10 minutes video of a 10-PCs party ;) in BG2.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    @CrevsDaak Haha...I just saw that thread over on the G3 site. Ridiculous!