Skip to content

Baldur's gate fame

Do you think there will ever be a game as good as Baldur's gate?

I have been playing the series since year 2000 and tried many newer strategy RPGs without any comparison to Baldur's gate.

Neverwinter nights was good but lacked the replayability of Baldur's gate. I have conflicted feelings about dragon age which I think was spoiled by design for consoles. Temple of elemental evil was fun and very strategic however the complete lack of story was a disappointment. Divinity original sin was terrible in my opinion and despite all my experience playing RPGs seem too difficult.

Comments

• FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Well you have pillars of eternity coming up within the month which looks really good.
  • LuremasterLuremaster Member Posts: 100
    I really hope so. Of my top ten favorite video games, however, none were made after 2005, and the majority of them were made before the turn of the century. That's not a very encouraging sign, IMO
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    I could easily see some amazing game being developed to an amazing depth, a labor of love, much like the decades Tolkien spent on Middle-Earth before LOTR emerged. I mean what are all these billionaires going to do in their Elder Years that could be more rewarding than sponsoring a bunch of inspired geniuses turned on by a really good story and World-concept!!!

I think I will start sending out some flyers...
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    I sure friggin hope so. We can't just be spiraling down the ol' "they don't make 'em like they used to", can we?

I've been waiting, I am waiting, and I'll keep on waiting. And hoping.
  • LuremasterLuremaster Member Posts: 100
    IMO the only RPGs to come close to BG are KotOR 1 and KotORII with TSLRCM installed. I also enjoyed Drago Age Origins. The Elder Scrolls games are good too, but I think that they have come to rely too much on action.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Of course there will be better games than Baldur's Gate in the near or far away future. Disregarding that possibility would be merely a plain display of ignorant gamer arrogance.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    i only really like isomeric games and too many games go for first player view nowadays, so it's tough to trump bg1+2.

I never got into neverwinter nights. I played fallout 1+2 but really disliked fallout 3 which became an fps.. Some first person games i thought okayish... tomb raider reboot, American mcgees Alice 1+2, but that's about it.... fps just ruins the overview of the game so i cant do much tactics. I'm spoiled by isometric ;)
  • SpaceSpace Member Posts: 71
    lroumen said:

i only really like isomeric games and too many games go for first player view nowadays, so it's tough to trump bg1+2.

I never got into neverwinter nights.

You are missing out never playing shadows of undrentide and hordes of the underdark. I consider replaying them now but I have already played through twice.
    I did and i did not like them either.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    To express value you need to rank. A great book among great books is still better than the other 99.999999% of books that are utter tripe.
    And of course more than 75% of people here are prejudiced/biased towards bg ;).
    I think it makes sense at least :)
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I'm having a hard time deciding my favorite game ever.

Baldur's Gate 1&2, NWN2, and Dragon Age: Origins are my top contenders.

I seem to have this weird, "Not doing expansions thing."

It's not intentional but I still haven't finished Tob, MotB, or the DA:O expansion.
  • SpaceSpace Member Posts: 71
    Vallmyr said:

It's not intentional but I still haven't finished Tob, MotB, or the DA:O expansion.

Dragon age origins was good however dragon age 2 was terrible. Design for consoles ruins computer games.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Space said:

Vallmyr said:

Dragon age origins was good however dragon age 2 was terrible. Design for consoles ruins computer games.
    I never played DA:2 but I picked up DA:I because I saw it had a Necromancer class (and I'm OBSESSED with Necromancers along with cute halfling/gnome girls).

Unfortunately the PC controls are horrid and so I'm waiting either for a patch or a fan-mod to make the tactical cam more usable.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I think it depends what type of games you consider "good". And also, what kind of games you consider "fun". It's important because the game can be fun and bad at the same time or even good and boring at once.

"Good" game for me is one that is made well. "Fun" is one that plays well. I've played games that are rather bad (flawed), but fun to play and I've played games that are rather opposite.

Baldur's Gate is pretty good and fun game. That's how I see it. The series has provided me plenty of fun, but there are flaws on design level (like, I wish some dialouge options could be as - or even more - situation/class depended as they are in Icewind Dale).

Following my definition, is there better game than Baldur's Gate? Probably yes. Is there more fun game? It depends purely on you.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited March 2015
    Space said:

Do you think there will ever be a game as good as Baldur's gate?

I have been playing the series since year 2000 and tried many newer strategy RPGs without any comparison to Baldur's gate.

Neverwinter nights was good but lacked the replayability of Baldur's gate. I have conflicted feelings about dragon age which I think was spoiled by design for consoles. Temple of elemental evil was fun and very strategic however the complete lack of story was a disappointment. Divinity original sin was terrible in my opinion and despite all my experience playing RPGs seem too difficult.

There is already a game that is better than Baldur's Gate, it's called Planescape Torment.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited March 2015

Planescape is a book more than a game. n.n And there's not nearly the replayability as there is in BG or IWD.

Doesn't matter, it's still a game and it does actually have just as much if not more replayability than Baldur's Gate. Your actions, quests and alignment actually has consequences in Torment and from talking to a guy in the starter dungeon you can lock yourself out of a faction much later on. The many factions, different ways to solve quests etc is just as much replayability as anything Baldur's Gate have. It's like saying Baldur's gate have more replayability than Fallout. Also the game is completely different depending on if you go up in wisdom, charisma or strength. You can sneakily break someones neck with a high dexterity, intimidate them with a high strength score or charm your way with a high charisma.

Let's take a look.

Story - Torment
    NPC - Torment
    World - Torment
    Alignment - Torment
    Consequences - Torment
    Dialogues - Torment
    Combat - Baldur's Gate
    Gameplay - Baldur's Gate
    Replayability - Draw
    Graphics - Better than BG1 and with high resolution mod it can compete with BG2.

I have played Baldur's Gate more than i have played Torment, but there is no doubt that Torment is the better game.