Skip to content

Viconia will not talk to me

ok so I'm playing bg2 with a romance with viconia only thing is she will not start the romance. With me specifically. So I load it up in eekeeper and I notice I have no globals for her so I put them in.
ViconiaMatch 1
ViconiaRomance 1
ViconiaRomanceActive 1

And she still won't talk to me. Is it cuz she's a b!tch or maybe cuz dorns been barking up the wrong tree. Why will she not speak to me at all.

Comments

• RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    I've now sat with the game on for an hour not doing a damn thing and she has spoken to Dorn she has spoken to Hexxat twice and spoken to Haer'Dalis but not my char name.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    A mere hour, @Rajick? That's only about 12 hours of in-game time. Romance development is much slower than that, it often takes several in-game days to get the next romance conversation.
  • CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    Well, Dorn IS a half-orc...If you know what I mean.
    I've also manually advanced real time 3 times by 99999 nothing
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Are you an elf? She doesn't romance elfs!
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

A mere hour, @Rajick? That's only about 12 hours of in-game time. Romance development is much slower than that, it often takes several in-game days to get the next romance conversation.

Romance timers use real time, hence why jaheira's romance is incredibly long as you have to wait an hour for every bit.
    edited March 2015
    No @Tresset Imported game from BG in eekeeper I changed my Race to Tiefling but started the game as a human
    wubble said:

Romance timers use real time, hence why jaheira's romance is incredibly long as you have to wait an hour for every bit.

I think it's more complicated than that. There seem to be triggers based on various factors in various situations - sometimes real time, sometimes game time, sometimes game situations such as quest progress, etc.
    Unless they added that stuff I believe your wrong I have had romance conversations on every map at random based on real time since before the enhanced edition. I've had Viconia romance a character like this on my last play through and there were no problems the only reason I'm even playing it over again is because my computer died and I now lost all of my old saves so this is extremely frustrating and I don't really want to start again.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I've never romanced Viconia before so I don't know the specifics here, but if you think this is a bug, then perhaps you can upload a save file and myself (or another mod) can move this to the bug reporting section for somebody to take a look at. Lemme know if you'd like that.
    @Rajick - romance progress definitely depends upon game situations. For example, they all get suspended (and this was also true in original BG2) while you're away rescuing Imoen, regardless of the passage of time.

Aha! Could this be the cause of your own issue? Have you already left to rescue Imoen?

Some romances (but maybe not all, I'm not sure) definitely depend upon quest progress. For example, in my own current run, my protagonist is romancing Neera, and her LoveTalk counter will run up to a certain number (19?), but then won't progress any further until after completing Neera's SoA questline. After completing her SoA quest, romance dialogues will resume, and the LoveTalk variable runs up to 31 (which it'll do in quite a rush of conversation at short intervals, if you left that quest completion fairly late), then it stops again until we reach ToB (which I've just entered).
    @Gallowglass I don't think romances are suspended by the great Imoen journey itself. It is more likely that they are being suspended because you spend 90% of your time in areas with the dungeon flag. Romance talks are scripted to not happen in dungeon type areas.

@Rajick If you can upload your save file I could probably find the issue in a matter of minutes...
    I figured out the problem. Unfortunately it required me to restart from the beginning go into eekeeper change my race from tiefling to human before I meet viconia then go back into eekeeper to change the race back to tiefling and insure all the globals required are present. I went to a few different forums and apparently the game doesn't like it when you manually input a global variable.
    Rajick said:

I went to a few different forums and apparently the game doesn't like it when you manually input a global variable.

That is odd because I do that literally all the time to make the game do what I want. I suspect the real trick is knowing exactly what you are doing.

And yeah, Tieflings are basically elves. They will even get the elf sword and bow bonus.
    Some variables you can and sometime it works for romances but not all the time @Tresset
    Ah, @Rajick, indeed all is now explained. Since the game treats a Tiefling as a variety of Elf, and since Viconia won't romance an Elf, no wonder it wasn't working properly for you!