Skip to content

Dialog.tlk - problems. Creating new items in BG EE

Alexander12Alexander12 Member Posts: 38
Hello everyone!
I need advice how to solve a problem with item's names and descriptions.
I can't see them, when i try to create new item in DLTCP (or nearinfinity) for BGEE.
As i understood, BGEE doesn't give acces to dialog.tlk? What can be done?

When i played BG trilogy, i simply created item in DLTCP, wrote the description, named the item. Then i placed the file in override, and in game i could perfectly use the item with proper name and description.

When i do the same in BGEE - i can see and use the item, but it has no name or description((.

I simply wish to play with my own personal items.))
Maybe the only way is to create a mod from the item, in order to patch dialog.tlk?
Is there any other way? Because i still can't understand how to create a mod with setup file from the item file (.itm
and .bam).

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Weidu is the only accepted way to modify dialog.tlk for a mod (or for anything really). All the other methods are just too dangerous. Creating a new item and adding a new description string is fairly easy to do with weidu (or as easy as weidu gets anyway). I just made such a mod and will be uploading it shortly (Assuming I have the time).
    argent77
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    The error message in Near Infinity is a known issue that can happen (very rarely) when opening game resources containing strings. Restarting Near Infinity should solve the problem in this case. If the issue persists, try opening the dialog.tlk itself via Ctrl+S or menu Edit->Dialog.tlk to see if the file is corrupted or otherwise inaccessible.

I second @Tresset's advice to use WeiDU for manipulating the dialog.tlk however. Using NI or DLTCEP can easily screw up every text string in the game if you make a mistake.
  • Alexander12Alexander12 Member Posts: 38
    Thanks, i'll explore the possibilities of weidu, especially for editing dialog.tlk. But i can't understand why i even can't see (not edit) the proper name or description of original items in dltcep. Invalid reference is everywhere.(
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Thanks, i'll explore the possibilities of weidu, especially for editing dialog.tlk. But i can't understand why i even can't see (not edit) the proper name or description of original items in dltcep. Invalid reference is everywhere.(

Dialog.tlk was moved in the EE games. It used to be in the main game folder but it is now in the Lang folders. I've always had problems with DLTCEP not being able to find the new location, even though I set it up for an EE profile. Anytime I try to use it for text strings, I've had to copy the Dialog.tlk file to the main directory, then copy it back to the Lang folder when I'm done.

This is very odd. I just downloaded DLTCEP version 7.7, hoping it will have solved my problem. While it can find the Dialog.tlk file for my BG2EE installation, it can't find the one for BG1EE.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    When you setup your game configuration in DLTCEP, click on the "Set WeiDU options", then select your preferred language and ensure you check the "Use language" option. That will tell DLTCEP where to look for the dialog.tlk file, both for viewing and adding texts.
    You shouldn't need to move dialog.tlk file to and from the main game directory anymore.
    Thank you, everything is okay now! I found dialog.tlk. Anyway i'll set weidu options.
    Isaya said:

When you setup your game configuration in DLTCEP, click on the "Set WeiDU options", then select your preferred language and ensure you check the "Use language" option. That will tell DLTCEP where to look for the dialog.tlk file, both for viewing and adding texts.
    You shouldn't need to move dialog.tlk file to and from the main game directory anymore.

All right, that worked. Thanks. Odd that it would find the file for BG2 but not BG1.

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited March 2015
    Just use NI. Problem solved!

Also I see that you dont have the latest version of NI. Get it here.
    elminster
    Tresset said:

Just use NI. Problem solved!

Also I see that you dont have the latest version of NI. Get it here.

Tresset, thank you!