Skip to content

Druid Weapon Style Question

Heya,

Is there any point in giving a druid a point in weapon and shield style, even though they can only use bucklers in the game?
Would giving them a point in single weapon style be any better?

TIA

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited March 2015
    Single weapon style is probably better, but there are a couple of items to consider:

There's a buckler that gives you +1 constitution and another that gives +1 dexterity.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Single weapon style is great for most druids as it will boost their shapeshift form weapons. The only shapeshift that benefits from 2 handed style is the Fire Salamander.
  • SkieSkie Member Posts: 90
    The only problem is that I'm a totem druid with no shapeshifting ^.^

Does the -2 vs missile bonus works with a buckler?
    Regarding the items, I'm guessing there will be more though in BG2?
    Skie said:

Less than you would think:
    The only one I know of is a buckler +1.

joluv said:

Skie said:

But you can cheat in the...
    buckler +1 with +1 dex from BG1:EE
    @Tresset
    Kiel's Buckler? It's not +1, just a normal buckler with a dex bonus

I always get confused by the + bonuses of shields.
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    Tresset said:

Single weapon style is great for most druids as it will boost their shapeshift form weapons. The only shapeshift that benefits from 2 handed style is the Fire Salamander.

Apart from this consideration, is there a reason to ever dump points into single weapon style? I've done it a few times for aesthetic considerations, but my practical desires always derail it in the end as I can't seem to justify using it over 2-handed, 2-weapon, or S&S styles.
    @Fiendish_Warrior The extra critical chance is nice for non-staff backstabbing. Also, (low- to mid-level) monks are sometimes better off with a weapon, and it's the only weapon style proficiency they can take... Unless you were just talking about druids.
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    @joluv No. It was an open question for all classes. Thanks. I never thought about throwing a weapon in a monk's hands beyond darts.
    edited March 2015
    @Fiendish_Warrior Single weapon style is a good way to boost your AC and critical range. The critical range is always nice and the bonus to AC is really nice for AC restricted classes and pretty much everyone in general.
    @Fiendish_Warrior In BG2, there's a really nice choice for that
    A monk-only ninja-to +3 with an extra attack per round and chance to poison, sold by Joluv (who else?)
    I like that thing much more in the hands of a dual wielding rogue with UAI. It is nice for monks too though, especially if the change to Monk APR with weapons was intentional on the developer's part...
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    joluv said:

Actually not quite so bad:
    You can get a Buckler +3 if you do Neera's quest ... but that's in her ToB quest, so it's not much help until late-game.