Skip to content

Is DwD/DD multiclass possible in any way?

SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
edited March 2015 in General Modding
Hello all,

Doing what I usually do, I imagine hypothetical characters in my head which I immediately want to create in game. I recently came up with a (weird) character concept of a multiclass dwarven defender/dragon disciple.
I was just wondering if it would be possible to even create? I have eekeepered a DwD/Mage multi, but it would be kinda cool (and ofc ridiculously overpowered) with a stoic, calm and controlled DwD struggling with his/her inner draconic heritage and more chaotic, irratic behaviour.

Edit: I even found the perfect pic for him on deviant art!

Edit2: Apperently I can't link to it. Perhaps it has been blocked somehow by the artist. If anyone is interrested, google "gundra_firescale_by_jasonengle", it's the first pic that pops up. Amazing pic by an amazing artist.

Cheers,
//Skat.

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Sorcerer dual- or multi-classing is impossible, even in the EE.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited March 2015
    Here's the link: http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/342/f/2/gundra_firescale_by_jasonengle-d5neto9.jpg

To me, that doesn't look like someone struggling very hard with his draconic heritage, though... more like someone reveling in it. What alignment would you go with?
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Technically you can it would require some game modification, but it is possible.

Here's some options:

1. Create custom spells that use spell list, set them as innates and create spell levels 1-9 of the spells you want. Then create a custom fighter kit called Dwarven Defender/Dragon Disciple and give it the spells per level to simulate the sorcerer spell table and the DwD bonuses.

2. Option 2 is make a fighter/mage and switch out the spells that you choose on level up to the ones that use spell list such as "Wizard level 1:Enchantment spells" that you can choose this option is the trickier version as I have not worked out all the details.

3. Use a custom kit for ranger/paladin/cleric and make those spell list spells as cleric spells and give them at level 1 with spell progression effects the basr class if you modify the number of spells per day though.

Out of those three though option 1 is the easiest and the least detrimental in the long run as innates list is very similar to the spellbook and since sorcs don't need to pick and choose which spells to learn per day. Downaide though is they wouldn't be able to use wands and can cast in armor, so a little roleplay would be needed.
    Actually, thinking about it more, a Sorcerer kit that combined DD and DwD wouldn't be prohibitively difficult. Going off of the vanilla kit descriptions. The only thing that would really be lacking is the offered number of proficiency slots.

DWARVEN DEFENDER / DRAGON DISCIPLE [Sorcerer]
    - May wear helmets.
    - May wear any armor and use any weapon.
    - May not cast spells while wearing any armor.
    - May achieve high mastery (++++) in Axes and Hammers.
    - May achieve specialization (++) in any other weapon.
    - May achieve specialization (++) in any weapon style and allocate three slots in Two-Weapon Style.
    - 1st level: +1 bonus to Armor Class (+2 at 5th, +3 at 10th, +4 at 15th, +5 at 20th)
    - 1st level: May use Defensive Stance once per day. Gains an additional use every 4 levels.
    - 3rd level: May use Breath Weapon once per day. Breath Weapon damage improves by +d8 every 3 levels (max 8d8 at 18th)
    - 4th: Gains +25% Fire Resistance. (+50% at 8th, +75% at 12th, +100% at 16th)
    - 5th: Gains a +1 bonus to Constitution (+2 at 15th)
    - 5th: Gains a +5% bonus to Physical Resistance (+10% at 10th, +15% at 15th, +20% at 20th)
    - Hit Die: d8
    - Has a -40% experience penalty.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    joluv said:

Here's the link: http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/342/f/2/gundra_firescale_by_jasonengle-d5neto9.jpg

To me, that doesn't look like someone struggling very hard with his draconic heritage, though... more like someone reveling in it. What alignment would you go with?

Haha, that's a very valid point! The guy definitely looks like he's reveling in it, you're correct on that. It was the only pic of dwarf with sorcerer-like abilitites I found though, and it was really cool.
    edited March 2015

Technically you can it would require some game modification, but it is possible.

Here's some options:

1. Create custom spells that use spell list, set them as innates and create spell levels 1-9 of the spells you want. Then create a custom fighter kit called Dwarven Defender/Dragon Disciple and give it the spells per level to simulate the sorcerer spell table and the DwD bonuses.

2. Option 2 is make a fighter/mage and switch out the spells that you choose on level up to the ones that use spell list such as "Wizard level 1:Enchantment spells" that you can choose this option is the trickier version as I have not worked out all the details.

3. Use a custom kit for ranger/paladin/cleric and make those spell list spells as cleric spells and give them at level 1 with spell progression effects the basr class if you modify the number of spells per day though.

Out of those three though option 1 is the easiest and the least detrimental in the long run as innates list is very similar to the spellbook and since sorcs don't need to pick and choose which spells to learn per day. Downaide though is they wouldn't be able to use wands and can cast in armor, so a little roleplay would be needed.

Thanks for your extensive reply!

Option 1: OK, I know a char like this would be OP as hell, but making him a single-class would make him even more OP. Sure it could be countered by manually lower the EXP though. I would have no issues with RP'ing so that he can't cast in armor by just not using armor. The whole point would be to gain massive amounts of resistances to all normal dmg types via DwD and fire from DD, as well as, added CON which takes the dwarf to a natural 20 and a lot of added AC which with bracers of defense and a decent DEX should prove adequate. A sorc is an amazing tank anyways, so armor is not necessary.

edited March 2015

Actually, thinking about it more, a Sorcerer kit that combined DD and DwD wouldn't be prohibitively difficult. Going off of the vanilla kit descriptions. The only thing that would really be lacking is the offered number of proficiency slots.

DWARVEN DEFENDER / DRAGON DISCIPLE [Sorcerer]
    - May wear helmets.
    - May wear any armor and use any weapon.
    - May not cast spells while wearing any armor.
    - May achieve high mastery (++++) in Axes and Hammers.
    - May achieve specialization (++) in any other weapon.
    - May achieve specialization (++) in any weapon style and allocate three slots in Two-Weapon Style.
    - 1st level: +1 bonus to Armor Class (+2 at 5th, +3 at 10th, +4 at 15th, +5 at 20th)
    - 1st level: May use Defensive Stance once per day. Gains an additional use every 4 levels.
    - 3rd level: May use Breath Weapon once per day. Breath Weapon damage improves by +d8 every 3 levels (max 8d8 at 18th)
    - 4th: Gains +25% Fire Resistance. (+50% at 8th, +75% at 12th, +100% at 16th)
    - 5th: Gains a +1 bonus to Constitution (+2 at 15th)
    - 5th: Gains a +5% bonus to Physical Resistance (+10% at 10th, +15% at 15th, +20% at 20th)
    - Hit Die: d8
    - Has a -40% experience penalty.

Exactly, their bonuses mix so well; +CON and AC to make up for no armor, added resistances to both fire and normal damages on top of normal sorc spells.

But one question though: "- Has a -40% experience penalty"? What do you mean by this? AFAIK, there are no xp-penalties implemented in the BG/IWD games.
    Skatan said:

Exactly, their bonuses mix so well; +CON and AC to make up for no armor, added resistances to both fire and normal damages on top of normal sorc spells.

But one question though: "- Has a -40% experience penalty"? What do you mean by this? AFAIK, there are no xp-penalties implemented in the BG/IWD games.

Thematically, it is supposed to simulate the XP loss from multiclassing. There exists an opcode that can affect incoming experience when applied to an individual. Applying it through the kit's CLAB would reduce the rate of experience accumulation by X%.