Skip to content

Baldur's Gate ORIGINAL Windows 8.1

Hey guys. Many, many apologies if this is reposting/this has been solved before, but I've been trying for around 3 hours now with no solution and can't find any sound advice - It all seems to be about the Enhanced Edition.

I was planning originally on buying BG:EE but when I read that the improvements are a bit lacklustre I thought I'd break out the old version. However, I'm having trouble!

So basically, I am trying to get the original version of the game going on Windows 8.1 (I don't have the original 5-disc version but a re-released compilation of 4 discs containing BG 1 + 2). I can't for the life of me get it to launch after installation, AT ALL. It will install fine, play the advert/video, but any time I click play it just doesn't do anything. The loading sign will come up for about 2 seconds, then nothing.

Things I have tried thus far:

- Running as Administrator
- Running in all Compatibility Modes
- Updating Graphics drivers
- Reinstalling Direct X
(I've tried others but I've been at it so long I've forgotten them)

Specs:

Acer Aspire V5-473
Intel Core i5 4200U 1.6GHz with Turbo Boost to 2.6GHz
Intel HD Graphics 4400
Windows 8.1 64-bit
(let me know if you need more specs, the rest seemed unnecessary)

I've also seen on and off (though not confirmed) that the game doesn't work with Intel graphics cards - is this correct?

My final question if all else this fails, is if I were to purchase the Enhanced Edition, would that work for me? I don't want to go ahead and bother purchasing it to find it doesn't work either.

Thanks in advance!!

Rhen

Comments

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited March 2015
    Last i tried vanilla bg it was on win vista, so sorry, no help from me on that part. If you buy EE it's definitly work on win 8, i have a similar composition than you. The Intel video card compatibility issue was fixed with one of the patches (1.2 if i remember well).
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The EE games work on intel graphics cards and run very well in windows 8 and 8.1 both 32 and 64 bit versions.

You can try running the vanilla version using compatibility mode.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    I no longer use BG2-ToB but it is still installed on a machine running Win 8.1 64 bits and using a basic intel HD4000.
    It was probably installed at Win 8.1 release time and it requires no compatibility mode to run.
    I always use the wide screen mod to play with the correct resolution.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    And I forgot this setup :
    Control Panel -> Program and Features -> Turn Windows features on and off -> Legacy components / DirectPlay is checked.