Skip to content

Timeline Shenanigans

I know I am getting into a quagmire here but I just noticed today the continuity for Forgotten Realms versus the BG/IWD games is wrong/off, creating a bit of a continuity snarl here.

The Time of Troubles (the transition from 1ed to 2ed) happens canonically in 1358 DR. Gods walk the world, a score of them are brutally murdered, others are eaten by other gods, and Bhaal makes sure he has lots and lots of baby making sex before he is cut down.

Fast forward 10 years and Sarevok (who must be in his 30s?) is terrorising the Sword coast and BG1 takes place in 1368 DR (a year later BG2 happens). CHARNAME is also supposed to be 20.
Even the book is off here as Abdel Adrian (who is of an age with Sarevok) was a thing we want to forget.

Additionally IWD takes place in 1291. Prior to the Time of Troubles, so really ought to have been operating under 1ed rules not 2ed.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or cared? lol.

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Bhaal foresaw his death and walked the earth before the time of troubles and had kids. Sarevok is probably around the same age as charname anyway, as gorion had to choose between charname and sarevok when they were kids.

Also WotC generally want all new games to be in the latest edition and there was already an engine that black isle had helped to produce and icewind dale was a sensible and easy thing to make as the engine and the fan base were already there.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    edited March 2015
    @wubble I think you missed the point dude.

There is TEN years between the time of troubles and BG. Ten. Count Em. Not enough time for his children to be grown ups by this point.

I know in meta terms why it was done, but as I said it's created a bit of a continuity snarl in plot terms.

@subtledoctor They have to do with each other because TSR used a plot/story/timeline element to explain WHY the rules changed. This was the Time of Troubles.
    Unfortunately the ToT changed everything after it but not before it (not like a Dragon Break would change everything in TES); know what I mean?
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    The point I was making is that Bhaal had kids BEFORE the time of troubles. The kids were likely 8-10 by that time. he knew that he'd be busy fighting and dying during the time of troubles so he set up his master plan well in advance.
    Ah.

See the plot makes it sound like he did it just before or during the time of troubles.

That would explain it lol.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    You missed his point. He specifically mentioned, Bhaal created his children a while before the Times of Trouble.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Additionally IWD takes place in 1291. Prior to the Time of Troubles, so really ought to have been operating under 1ed rules not 2ed.

Its actually set in 1281.

The Time of Troubles did coincide with the release of 2nd edition, however what edition you use and the time period always is at the discretion of the DM (the game developers in this case). So there isn't anything wrong with setting it in 2nd edition.
  • JoshBGJoshBG Member Posts: 91
    edited March 2015
    wubble said:

The point I was making is that Bhaal had kids BEFORE the time of troubles. The kids were likely 8-10 by that time. he knew that he'd be busy fighting and dying during the time of troubles so he set up his master plan well in advance.

Yup. Foresaw his death -> Made sure enough of his essense is spread around(he could've commenced to do it way before the ToT and continue to do it until the start of the ToT) -> ToT -> Events of BG.

About IWD: I'm pretty sure(but I'll be quite happy if I'm not correct) that the IWD events are not canonised.
    edited March 2015
    @Avenger_teambg

As I said in my post preceeding yours. That would indeed explain it; I was just confused because the game makes it sound like Bhaal did his -ahem- frolicking during the Time of Troubles while he was "mortal" at least to me.

@elminster

I never said you couldn't use 2nd edition rules or that there was something wrong with it?

As I said I get the meta reasons for it, but as they used a plot reason in universe to explain away the real world changes (which is great I always love that) but it seems to have created a little bit of a continuity snarl regarding the timeline of the universe in regards to certain stories.

Was just curious about it. See what others thought?