Skip to content

Need Help with Assigning Mod Kits

BlagdanBlagdan Member Posts: 13
I having trouble with two mods, Auror Kit and the sorcerer place collection. I installed them but they are grayed out at character selection. While searching for a solution I came across this particular thread
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/12761/9-kits-limitation-per-classes-seriously

A few of the posters mentioned that you apply kits to character via the console and/or using custom scripts. However, their explanations weren't elaborated for me to implement them and I am uncertain if this would solve my current situation. Nonetheless, can anyone help elaborate on the console and script method to applying kits/classes to characters? Alternative solutions to this problem are also most welcome.

Important note: I am playing the 1.3 patch version of Baldur's Gate I & II Enhanced Edition so solutions involving Level 1 NPC wouldn't work, I tried to do it already.......

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    edited March 2015
    If they are visible during character creation but greyed out, the likely cause is that they haven't been updated using the add_kit_ee library that all modern kit mods have to include, due to expand kit options in the EEs.

The script action for adding kits is AddKit() or AddSuperKit(). It sounds like you want to use AddKit.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BlagdanBlagdan Member Posts: 13

If they are visible during character creation but greyed out, the likely cause is that they haven't been updated using the add_kit_ee library that all modern kit mods have to include, due to expand kit options in the EEs.

Hmm how difficult would it be for me to update them? I don't have any experience in making or editing mods.....

The script action for adding kits is AddKit() or AddSuperKit(). It sounds like you want to use AddKit.

To be clear, I load up the console select whatever character in my party, type C: AddKit("name of game/mod kit") and the selected character will changed to said kit? If so, should I use shadowkeeper to to reduce selected character to level 1 stats before changing kits?

The short answer is, those kits haven't been updated by their authors. It's possible they have been abandoned. Presumably they have a forum somewhere, you might post there for help.

Basically, when it comes to kits, if the readme doesn't specifically say "works with EE" then you should assume it doesn't work with EE games. (Heck, even some kits that were made specifically for the EEs don't work with current versions of the games!)

If you want to make them work, you can add the EE kit library for your own install. I'm not really sure how to retrofit it for older mods, but google "fl#_add_kit_ee" and you might find how

I just now noticing your post and I indeed searched on google for fl#_add_kit_ee but it isn't showing me any results. Are you sure meant google and not the forums? If so what country do you live in? (google gives out different search results depending on geolocations....)

I found this discussion of it:
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26961

Granted to do this you kinda have to know what you're doing - if you can follow that thread then you're about an inch away from being able to make your own kit mods.

But, it's either that or limit yourself to mods that work with the patched games.

Or, maybe, use EEkeeper. Does EEkerper work with kids that don't use the add_kit_ee function? I'm not sure if the answer.

Thanks bro for the link, looks very useful. As for eekeeper, I don't think so for most kits anyways.....
    Good news , I manage to figure out how to edit the mods( well the Auror kit since I haven't tried the other one yet) to not be grayed out at charter selection. Now I just to have to figure out to get the AddKit script to work, I really want to be able to change characters kits at will. I can't seem to get it to work no matter what I do and not sure what I am doing wrong. Anyone care to give some good advice/assistance?

Why?

People have been using ShadowKeeper for this for 15 years... any particular reason you need to use a different method?

Feels less cheaty and immersion breaking to change kits in-game than to edit save file with eekeeper, in other words, personal preference of style.......

You could create items that switch you to a kit... you can look at the files in the multiclass component of my mod (look at d5_alagh.itm, d5_alagh.spl, d5_alagh.cre, and d5_alagh.baf. You'll need to make copies of an .ITM, a .SPL, a .CRE, and a .BAF for each kit. You can create them in Near Infinity and install them via Weidu.

But, to be honest, it's a *ton* of work compared to using ShadowKeeper or just re-rolling a new character with a new kit...

Sounds time consuming, though I don't mind it much. I probably will try to do this somewhere in the future. For now I'll stick with eekeeper( and the script action once I get the bloody thing to work....)