Skip to content

Improved "import character" from BG1 to BG2

SedSed Member Posts: 790
I would like to see an improved import function for characters between the two games.
Currently you have to copy a save game from BG1 to BG2 folders to be able to import a character

I would like to see either a "import BG1 character" which automatically looks in the BG1 folders, or simply give us the option of browsing through different folders for the save game or character.

Comments

• WikeszWikesz Member Posts: 11
    +1
  • molloymolloy Member Posts: 105
    Oh yes, that feels so crude.
    I actually don't mind moving save games, but it's just not what I would expect from enhanced consumer software.
  • Cr4zyJCr4zyJ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 208
    edited December 2014
    Why hasnt this been done? Didnt the original bg2 have this? Now is a great time with 1.03 beta out there!!!
    Post edited by Cr4zyJ on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Cr4zyJ said:

Why hasnt this been done? Didnt the original bg2 have this? The original games shouldnt have an ease of use feature the the EE games dont. Now is a great time with 1.03 beta out there!!!

It did not.

And generally speaking, right before release is probably the worst time to start throwing in new functionality. ;)
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @Dee‌
    But you've had since august to throw this in ;)
  • Cr4zyJCr4zyJ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 208
    edited December 2014
    @dee i now see your point from a coding, development and testing point of view rather than a consumer point of view and agree. I also stand corrected on my previous post. Still, can we get it on the list for next time?... or if someone really wants to earn brownie points and stay more than the 14hrs a day they probably already are.... ;)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It is something I've been pining for, though. It's on the to-do list, right next to cloud saves.
  • SkieSkie Member Posts: 90
    Does the game create a savegame after you beat Sarevok, or do you just manually move a savegame before the fight?
    It's silly as it would mean you don't actually have to do the fight? :P
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    @Skie The game creates the special "Final save" when you defeat Sarevok.
  • SkieSkie Member Posts: 90
    bengoshi said:

@Skie The game creates the special "Final save" when you defeat Sarevok.

Awesome :)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    That's all fine and dandy, but it is ridiculous that BGII cannot find that save. I should not have to old-school around this annoyance, for it was ridiculous when the original forced me to work around to import my save from the other game, as well. Unhappy.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @Dee
    Is this something that is still on topic? It's been a year :)
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    Would be nice if they could have it carry over your kill stats too (ie, total kills, exp value of kills, most powerful kills, etc). Unless it already does that (it's been years since I last transferred a character), in which case, ignore my suggestion.

Could also be nice if some of the NPC's carried over a bit of info from BG1 also (ie, the spells that you teach Edwin in BG1 would be in his spellbook when you start BGII, for example).