Skip to content

mirror of black ice

IchthyicIchthyic Member Posts: 89
edited March 2015 in IWD:EE Bugs (v1.4.0)
the mirror image effect states you will specifically get 6 images for 3 turns when used.

in reality, the number of images entirely depends on who uses it.

my warrior classes get 3, my mages get 6 (sometimes up to 8).

so it's obviously tracking the spell power based on the current mage level only.

I have no idea if there is even a way to get it to have the same power regardless of who uses it (one could hope), but the description is wrong, regardless.

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    It's because items that cast a spell instantly also ignore the set casting level. We're looking into this.
  • IchthyicIchthyic Member Posts: 89
    thanks muchly. not a big deal, but just worth noting, and that only because basically, the only time you'd want to use this item is like on a warrior or priest or thief class that can't cast the spell themselves.

:)

for kicks, I tried changing the power level of the item from 0 to 18 in an editor, but that had no effect.

also, changing the value for "cast at level x" had no effect on the number of images... not patient enough to see if it had any effect on duration.

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    For now, you'll have to set the "cast instantly" field to 0 if you want the item to use the chosen casting level. Of course, then it'll take time to cast...
    thanks. yeah, I think I'd rather the small cast time of 3(?) and get the right power for it, than instant, but only have 3 images.

easy enough to change that value.

cheers.

edited March 2015
    hmm. actually, that didn't work. set instant cast to "no", but get the same result.

EDIT: see below. I have this all figured out and know how to fix this issue for ANY item and ANY spell now.

I can haz jub?

Post edited by Ichthyic on
    edited March 2015
    ha! I got it! I know what's wrong, and I fixed it.

turns out, with spells that check for level, if you aren't of the caster type it checks level for, then you have to specify the specific level of the effect, from INSIDE the spell table itself.

so, for mirror image, you have to go to the mirror image type effect instead of the cast spell type effect.

then it indeed casts the right number of images, no matter who uses it (you just specify the number of images to use as one of the parameters of the effect; it's obvious where to enter that when you open the effect to edit it).

I can post the detailed fix if you wish.

so, under the item abilities, the mirror pendant has two: blur and mirror image
    for the second magic ability, mirror image, go into the page for that, and scroll down to the effect type.

instead of type: Cast spell, you want to use type: Mirror image (119). now, when you edit THAT type, you get the options for how many images you want to use, the power, the duration, etc.

also, you need to manually add the effects types so that the sound and visuals play.

so, instead of "Cast spell" as the only effect, this is replace by the following (it's easiest just to copy these strings from the appropriate level of mirror image from inside the mirror image spell itself):

Type: Mirror image (119) ...etc
    type: Display string (139) ... etc
    type: play sound (174) ...etc
    type: play visual effect (215) ...etc
    type: translucency (66) ...etc

so it just manually specifies everything.

works perfect.

whee!

IRGENIUS

Post edited by Ichthyic on
  • IDDQDIDDQD Member Posts: 37
    Ichthyic said:

ha! I got it! I know what's wrong, and I fixed it.

turns out, with spells that check for level, if you aren't of the caster type it checks level for, then you have to specify the specific level of the effect, from INSIDE the spell table itself.

so, for mirror image, you have to go to the mirror image type effect instead of the cast spell type effect.

then it indeed casts the right number of images, no matter who uses it (you just specify the number of images to use as one of the parameters of the effect; it's obvious where to enter that when you open the effect to edit it).

I can post the detailed fix if you wish.

so, under the item abilities, the mirror pendant has two: blur and mirror image
    for the second magic ability, mirror image, go into the page for that, and scroll down to the effect type.

instead of type: Cast spell, you want to use type: Mirror image (119). now, when you edit THAT type, you get the options for how many images you want to use, the power, the duration, etc.

also, you need to manually add the effects types so that the sound and visuals play.

so, instead of "Cast spell" as the only effect, this is replace by the following (it's easiest just to copy these strings from the appropriate level of mirror image from inside the mirror image spell itself):

Type: Mirror image (119) ...etc
    type: Display string (139) ... etc
    type: play sound (174) ...etc
    type: play visual effect (215) ...etc
    type: translucency (66) ...etc

so it just manually specifies everything.

works perfect.

whee!

IRGENIUS

nice. xD