Skip to content

**SPOILERS** Hexxat in a good/neutral party and NPC interactions

I've played through BGII (since the original release on half a dozen CDs) several times and I'm now doing a series of games to try out the new EE characters. I've already gone through with Neera and Rasaad and now I want to try Hexxat, but I always play a mostly good/neutral party with a lawful good PC and I want to know that things won't fall apart halfway through.

It sounds like if I play a female character and get the romance to a certain point (presumably when it flips from 1 to 2 in the console), Hexxat will stay in the party regardless of reputation - is this definitely the case?

I'm also wondering about party composition, the NPCs I usually take (5 out of this group) are:
  • Imoen: Guessing she won't have a problem as she gets on with everyone and is utterly loyal to the PC.
  • Jaheira: Open-minded and doesn't care about Viconia so I'm guessing she'll be fine with Hexxat too.
  • Keldorn: Sees the world in black and white so will come to blows at some point.
  • Anomen: Not sure, he's fine with Viconia so might be okay with Hexxat.
  • Minsc: Gets along with everyone (except Edwin) as he's too distracted about butt-kicking for goodness.
  • Mazzy: I'm guessing as a fighter who acts like a paladin she won't like Hexxat.
  • Neera: Seems to be fairly laid back, even with romance conflicts (and there won't be any with a female PC).
  • Aerie: Far too easy to upset, will probably run away crying.
  • Nalia: Doesn't seem to have a problem with anyone, but I've never tried her with an evil character.
  • Rasaad: Tricky, he seems not to have any interactions with NPCs but he's also a lawful good monk.
  • Valygar: Apparently he can be made to get along with most characters if you choose the right dialogue options (plus Hexxat isn't going to annoy him by being a magic user).
All I'm bothered about is NPCs leaving the party due to a conflict with Hexxat - I'm not fussed if they have the occasional banter. I'm playing through for fun rather than 'true' roleplaying so having an evil character in a good party doesn't bother me from that point of view.

Are there 5 NPCs I can take from that group? Ideally I want two mages (Imoen + other), two healers (one pure healer, not multi/dual classed) and two or more fighters.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I know for certain that these people will fight with or refuse to work with Hexxat:
    Aerie (only in ToB)
    Keldorn
    Mazzy
    Valygar
    Anomen

I think everyone else is ok?
  • pwaringpwaring Member Posts: 81
    Thanks, the lack of Anomen means I'm basically going to have to play a cleric (or take Viconia, but her stats are terrible).
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    Are you sure about Valygar ? I took him when Mazzy left the party, did 2 big quests and a few stuff (several days at least) and he didn't say a word about Hexxat.
    @Noon Very sure. I looked it up. Banters being the fickle and unreliable things they are it probably just hasn't happened yet. Besides, "doing quests" usually means you are in dungeon type areas. I think most banters are disabled by being in dungeon type areas.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Tresset said:

I know for certain that these people will fight with or refuse to work with Hexxat:
    Aerie (only in ToB)
    Keldorn
    Mazzy
    Valygar
    Anomen

I think everyone else is ok?

@Tresset is right. As for Valygar, Hexxat and Valygar will argue. In that case, it depends what dialogue you choose whether they fight, or he just leaves, or he seems to just let it go on one of them.
    bengoshi said:

@Tresset is right. As for Valygar, Hexxat and Valygar will argue. In that case, it depends what dialogue you choose whether they fight, or he just leaves, or he seems to just let it go on one of them.

Which is it? If @Tresset is correct then there's no way to resolve the issue, but if Valygar 'just lets it go' then that means it is possible to have him in a party with Hexxat.

Might it depend on the charisma or alignment of the PC?
    @bengoshi is correct... It appears there is a single dialog option you can choose to prevent him from walking out on you or coming to blows with Hexxat... but what I truly wonder is whether or not this is intentional...

@Jalily Do you know if there is supposed to be a possible solution to the Hexxat and Valygar SoA banter that allows you to keep both of them in the party? I will report this if it is a bug. If you are curious, the dialog options that appear to allow this are 1, 1, 2.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Tresset said:

Do you know if there is supposed to be a possible solution to the Hexxat and Valygar SoA banter that allows you to keep both of them in the party? I will report this if it is a bug. If you are curious, the dialog options that appear to allow this are 1, 1, 2.

Yes, this is intended.
  • Manveru123Manveru123 Member Posts: 52
    Shame Blandygar got a "way out" and not Aerie.. :/
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    Sound good enough for me, he is the only fighter left i still didn't try in a previous party. Thank you for the info.
    I would like to point out that there is a "way out" of all of the above fights. It is kinda cheating, but you can trick the game into thinking that the banter already happened by setting a local variable with the console. You could honestly avoid almost every party conflict in the game like this. You just need to know what the local variable you need to set is.

Some conflicts, however, cannot be avoided like this. I believe the Edwin/Neera conflict is one of these. I think there also may be some involving Dorn, but I am not sure since I haven't looked it up yet.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    I think Edwin/Neera and Keldorn/Dorn cannot be avoided.
    Edwin/Neera seems to trigger as soon as one joins the party, so I don't think you could avoid it. Same seems to be the case for anyone evil with Keldorn.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    pwaring said:

Edwin/Neera seems to trigger as soon as one joins the party, so I don't think you could avoid it. Same seems to be the case for anyone evil with Keldorn.

Not quite true, Edwin and Keldorn get along just fine. Edwin only ever fights Neera and Minsc.
    Sorry, I meant people who Keldorn sees as 'obviously' evil just by looking at them (since his view of the world is, shall we say, somewhat black and white :))