Skip to content

Wizard Slayer question

Just now I was thinking about various RP possiblities for builds I've never tried, and wondered whether I could do anything interestingly-unusual with a Wizard Slayer. Dualling a Wizard Slayer into a Thief is an established way of finding a use for this otherwise-useless kit, but there's quite a decent RP case (although not a power-gaming case!) for a Wizard Slayer->Cleric dual, and a question occurred to me: upon reaching level 25, a Cleric gets his special Holy Symbol ... can a Wizard Slayer->Cleric use that, or is it blocked like other rings/amulets/etc.?

It seems to me that the Holy Symbol "ought" to be coded as an exception to the usual rule, since the lore is that it's a personal reward from the appropriate god (and therefore the god should force it to over-ride a Wizard Slayer's normal inability to use magical jewels), but I don't know how the devs actually implemented this. Does anyone happen to know?

(Yes, I know I could go test it out, but it's easier if someone already knows and can tell me.)

Comments

• xscott71xxscott71x Member Posts: 63
    How about a WS that excels in ranged combat? Poison and elemental arrows/bolts to disrupt spell casting which also cause disrupt future casting would be useful.

Another thought on the WS is the use of Bala's Axe. Other than the innate MR a WS gets on level-ups, is a WS build negated by the use of this axe?
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Just checked. Yes, a WS->C can equip a Holy Symbol.
    HudzyJuliusBorisov
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I tested this a while back and can confirm it works.
    JuliusBorisov
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Aha, thanks guys.
    xscott71x said:

How about a WS that excels in ranged combat? Poison and elemental arrows/bolts to disrupt spell casting which also cause disrupt future casting would be useful.

Yes. In fact, I don't think there's any other sensible way to use a WS.

Previously, when a WS's magic-disabling worked only in melee, I counted this kit as totally useless for anything. It's only since it was fixed so that it can also disable magic in ranged combat that I reckon there's any point at all in the kit existing. Now, however, we can build a WS->Thief with grandmastery in a ranged weapon, having ranged magic-disabling as compensation for losing all the benefits of magical jewellery etc. (until getting UAI at around end-SoA). That's still not huge compensation for all that you have to give up as a WS, but it's a playable niche role which I reckon gives the WS kit a credible use. (I haven't actually tried this yet, but I've got one rolled up to try later.)
    xscott71x said:

Another thought on the WS is the use of Bala's Axe. Other than the innate MR a WS gets on level-ups, is a WS build negated by the use of this axe?

The trouble with Bala's Axe is that it's +0, so it's not very good at hitting the target, at least not in BG2 where the enemies have better AC. But yes, to some extent it enables any axe-wielding warrior to work somewhat like a WS, without suffering the severe disadvantages of actually being a WS.
    JuliusBorisovxscott71x