Skip to content

Gorion's death doesn't make sense?

I just started replaying BG1 again and there's something about Gorion's death that has been bothering me.

How can a wizard of his stature not cast any defence spells when he is soloing a group of enemies? I mean, come on, not even a mirror image? Even an amateur mage will cast at least a mirror image or blur. It's either Gorion was so full of himself that he doesn't bother learning any defence spells or perhaps since they were rushing through the night and hadnt have the chance to rest and hence no memorised spells. What do you guys think?
dockaboomski

Comments

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Are you playing original BG? He casts Mirror Image and Stoneskin in the EE version.
    JuliusBorisov
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Reverse deus ex machina. He fails because the plot calls for it.
    GodAedanSmilingSword
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    Mortianna said:

Are you playing original BG? He casts Mirror Image and Stoneskin in the EE version.

I'm playing BGEE. Are you sure he cast those two? I remembered quite vividly all he cast were magic missiles and acid/flame arrows etc.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

Reverse deus ex machina. He fails because the plot calls for it.

Deus im machina?
    Wrubeldockaboomski
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    He definitely casts mirror image every time I've played. It is weird though that he senses an ambush but doesn't prebuff.
  • JoshBGJoshBG Member Posts: 91
    Yes, he casts Stoneskin and Mirror Image.

And Tamoko casts Dispel on him(the actual Dispel spell, so it has a chance to dispel, heh.)

And, on top of that, Sarevok lands the...

DEATHBRINGER

So Gorion shouldn't have bothered with his lousy defenses in the first place. :D

johntylCaptRoryJuliusBorisov
  • JoshBGJoshBG Member Posts: 91
    edited April 2015
    What bothers me, though, is his spell choices, for a 9 level mage.

Gorion should've probably installed SCS... ;)
    GoturalSmilingSword
    JoshBG said:

What bothers me, though, is his spell choices, for a 9 level mage.

Gorion should've probably installed SCS... ;)

He cast cure minor wounds too before he and CHARNAME left Candlekeep. So what/who exactly is Gorion? Mage/priest?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    JoshBG said:

Do you really play the EE? :) Because in the EE a priest is healing you, not Gorion.

This.
    edited April 2015
    Here's the full list of protections he casts at the beginning of the battle:

photo Gorion protection spells.png

He casts Stoneskin and another Mirror Image toward the end.
    elminsterJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHFenghoang
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    edited April 2015
    Eh, Gorion was just RP'ing and didn't rely on his metagaming knowledge to adequately prepare.
    Edit: I didn't read @DreadKhan post before making my own. He said the same thing but MUCH more eloquently
    DreadKhan
    elminster said:

JoshBG said:

Do you really play the EE? :) Because in the EE a priest is healing you, not Gorion.

This.
    Ah, my bad. The youtube version of the battle I saw was the original BG, i thought it was BGEE. I went to start a new character again to check and you guys are right!

BGEE's version of Gorion makes much more sense, but Saravok's deathbringer is really overkill.
    @DreadKhan Gorion should have killed Tamoko in the first instance! Why risk his own defense being dispelled. Senile probably haha
    theres no coming back from Sarevok casting Powerword Fistpump
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    edited April 2015
    Gorion didn't die, it was just his simulacrum. He's actually Elminster.

edit: oops, wrong thread!
    NonnahswriterGoturalYupImMadBro
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    What bothers me is that the death is scripted and not caused by direct damage from either spell or attack. You see sarevok swing but in between swings gorion dies.....
    lunarMortianna
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    No matter how many battle protections a wizard has, a higher-level warrior with a good amount of APR will take him down eventually.
    dunbarBelgarathMTH
    which movie is this scene from again?
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    johntyl said:

which movie is this scene from again?
    Citizen Kane
    johntyl
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    edited April 2015
    If Gorion is a level 9 mage then how does he cast Contingency and Protection from Magical Weapons, both 6th level spells? And isn't the contingency he fires a chain contingency, with 3 spells instead of one (9th level spell)?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

If Gorion is a level 9 mage then how does he cast Contingency and Protection from Magical Weapons, both 6th level spells? And isn't the contingency he fires a chain contingency, with 3 spells instead of one (9th level spell)?

He might have saved scrolls to prepare for this day from his years of adventuring. You can cast higher level scrolls than you could as personal prepared spells.
    CaptRoryproccoJuliusBorisov

He has powerful mage friends, so maybe someone like Khelben Blackstaff cast it on him at some point during one of his visits.
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2015
    Besides his level mechanically is it ever actually stated that Gorion is a level 9 mage?

Edit: I just realized my mistake in asking this. Next someone is going to quote from the Baldur's Gate novel hehe.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    elminster said:

Besides his level mechanically is it ever actually stated that Gorion is a level 9 mage?

Edit: I just realized my mistake in asking this. Next someone is going to quote from the Baldur's Gate novel hehe.

There's a novelization? :innocent:
    elminster
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    Maybe it's like that tattoo of power thing that high level mage enemies use.
    edited April 2015
    DreadKhan said:

elminster said:

There's a novelization? :innocent:
    I never read it, but by all accounts, no, there is not, and you should drop the subject right there. ;)
    CaptRoryJuliusBorisov