Skip to content

Warders: Tactic ideas?

Ai'ght. The warder fight has been impossible for me.

I have Jaheira at Level 4, Khalid at Level 5, Imoen at level 6, my Dragon Disciple named Lear at Level 5, Neera at Level 5, and Dorn at level 4. I suppose I could swap one of them for Branwen, but other than that am unwilling to change my party. Thoughts? Help would be appreciated.

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Before the battle, have Jaheira cast Bless, Defensive Harmony and Protection from Evil; have Neera or Lear cast Haste and Resist Fear.

When combat begins, Dorn can use Aura of Despair to debuff the Warders.

Take the Love Warder out first, he casts Dire Charm.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited April 2015
    Tresset said:

You may be a bit on the low level side for that fight... I would try coming back later when you have more levels.

^ This.

I did that fight a few hours ago ... but I'm doing it near to the end of the game, with characters 3-4 levels higher, who are already at the XP-cap. At that stage, it's not difficult. Just summon some assistance (e.g. a Skeleton Warrior or two), buff up fully (Haste, Protection from Evil 10' Radius, Chant, Bless, Defensive Harmony, various individual protections, etc.), then trigger the battle and flatten them. I won it without a single point of damage to my party (although my Skeleton Warrior took a beating), but I wouldn't have been able to do it with a party at your levels.

Doing the upper levels of Durlag's Tower (i.e. the above-ground levels) earlier in the game is fine, they're not so tough. However, descending into Durlag's Labyrinth was designed as a late-game quest. I usually tackle the upper levels in Chapter 5, then leave the underground levels until Chapter 7.

In general, when an early stage of a quest is too tough, as you're currently finding, then you can usually (and that includes this case) interpret it as a warning from the devs that you're doing it too soon. When you succeed in getting past the Four Warders, the next level has a tougher battle ... so if you struggled to get past the Warders, the next set of end-of-level bosses will stomp all over you. And then after that ... but no, I don't want to spoil it for you.
    Post edited by Gallowglass on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Tresset said:

You are almost certainly below the low level side for that fight... I would try coming back later when you have more levels.

Edited for truthiness.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Probably the best tactic is to summon some stuff so the warders have something to pick on other than you for a bit. There is a wand of monster summoning in the tiny secret container in that crow's nest nearby the well that the warders are guarding. Press the tab key to find it.
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    You can also use Imoen to try to cheese up a few traps in order to even things out, provided she has some trap-making skill. Draw them in the direction of your traps after they're set.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Tresset - true, but the Warders quickly chew up the rather weak monsters you can get from the Wand. You'd probably have to use up most of the Wand's charges to keep them off your party's back for long enough to win, especially when one of them (Avarice?) casts Cloudkill. I'm sure it'd sometimes be possible to win this fight at @Whoistherobot's level, if luck were on your side, but your original advice is the best: go get some levels elsewhere, and come back later.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Perhaps start the fight with a character while rest of the party is elsewhere. Invis pot to escape. Then hit them off screen with AoEs or pull them one by one.
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    Littering the area with traps (or skull traps) will go a long way softening them up. Warders will follow you outside the area but if you run up a few flights of stairs fast sometimes you can ditch them and rest.... so ideally soften them up, kill one or two then run away rest up and try to take down another one. Traps planted in the rooms you plan to run away into can overcome trap limits in one area.

With such low level party that is not the sort of battle you can just Rambo through.... Also someone best to have 90% find traps if you want to go all the way down.