Skip to content

I love wild magic!

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
Story time.

I'm doing a no-reload run with wild magic. My character is a chaotic neutral int 16 half orc barbarian. The idea is that because everyone assumed he was dumb, his entire life has been doing manual, unskilled labor in Candlekeep. No training with the watchers, no tutelage...just labor. His fighting style is maces/flails. Blunt objects swung with force. While his one dream was to be a mage like Gorion, he has bought into the idea that he is a dumb brute who is good for nothing besides lifting heavy objects. The only people he feels comfortable with are those who he sees as being outcasts or underdogs. As such, his part is composed of Neera, Viconia and Baeloth. I'll probably add in Tiax later.

Well, for wild magic...I ran into Nimbul. Magic missiles were cast by Neera and Baeloth. A large group of soldiers turned to fire. My eyes popped as a cow dropped from the sky. It exploded, killing all but one soldier. My reputation went down to '1.' For the first time in any playthrough, I have bounty hunters and mercenaries after Charname.

It is amazing! A single spell changed the entire tone of the game. People died...and the authorities won't believe that a half-orc, half-elf and two drow are innocent. Sure, there was no 'intention' for the murder of so many innocents. But that isn't here or there.

I have a new found respect for the power of a surge. I dread the idea of a demon being summoned. Up until now the worst I had seen was having strange colors appear.

Wild magic is my new best friend. Though I'll likely be more careful about casting anything when innocents are around...
SmilingSwordGoturalArnaeusSpjuv3rnMetallomanJuliusBorisovArdullunarSethDavisNonnahswriter

Comments

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Great story, but this is exactly why I hate wild magic.
    I can't stand having a unreliable companion, anybody that has the potential to get themselves or worst their companions chunked just by performing their function.
    It drives me insane, killing companions, eating my gold supply, ruining my rep, forcing reloads.
    All in all wild magic has made of me a Thayvian sympathizer.
    Grum
  • ArnaeusArnaeus Member Posts: 90
    @Grum is this just a game for yourself or any chance we're going to see a thread on it? sounds like a lot of fun
    MetallomanJuliusBorisovGrum
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    And starting from the mid-SoA (if you reach it:) the wild magic will not only surprise but also rule supreme.

Casting Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wiltings and Time Stops through the 1st level of spells just for fun! Don't forget to cast the Chaos Shield, though, in any major fights.
    GoturalArnaeuslunarGrum
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Arnaeus said:

@Grum is this just a game for yourself or any chance we're going to see a thread on it? sounds like a lot of fun

I plan to do a writeup when it is all finished. I will say this though...life is hard when you are dealing with wild magic. Besides for the cow incident, I've given an enemy double HP when casting a spell at him, destroyed a good portion of my gold...turned an enemy invisible...nothing 'good' has come out of wild magic thus far except for increased enjoyment.

But yes, Bengoshi, I'm sure that when SoA starts, wild magic will start coming into its own. I can't wait to start using lvl 1 spells to chain cast time stop. Add in the Robe of Vecna, and I'm sure that things will get stupidly broken quickly.

One thing that I'd like to try, at least once...

Chain Contingency (greater mallison) then Time Stop/Wail of the Banshee Spam. All it takes is one failed save and the enemy dies. Reduced saves, and plenty of save or die?

---

All that said, when you have Neera and Baeloth in the same party, her wild magic looks even weaker. The two cast fireball together. Bealoth burninates the opposition. Neera showers the enemy in pretty colors. :persevere:

JuliusBorisov
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Ooh, don't worry, wild magic will become more and more powerful in soa and beyond. I got one memorable wild surge while trying to cast disintegrate:roll twice more:area effect+no save! Scaaaary stuff. See if a sorcerer can top that. Also, wild magi can produce contingency and sequencer spells without fail by using reckless dweomer, so they never have to memorise those spells themselves, which is a major bonus as well.
    GrumJuliusBorisov
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Really? So you can just use a lvl 1 spot to cast contingency, and then spam lower level spells through that?

Holy shyt...the potential abuse when put together with robe of vecna...no wonder the red wizards were so greedy/scared
    JuliusBorisov