Skip to content

Why are there inconsistencies between BGEE and BG2EE?

IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118

Halberd's item description in BGEE says it deals either slashing or piercing damage, whichever it better. In BG2EE it says it only deals piercing damage.

Wizard Slayer in BGEE says it add spell disruption penalty to the opponent only by melee attacks. In BG2EE it says any attacks inflect the penalty.

There are some other instances where inconsistencies can be found. Are those Beamdog's mistake or do Halberds, wizzard slayer, and some items work differently from BGEE and BG2EE?

There are some spells that says Duration:1turn and in description it says duration is 5 round. What am I supposed to believe?

These kind of inconsistencies were common in the original BG1&BG2 and were very vexing. I'm a bit disappointed they still exist in EE.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    BGEE has been the longest without an update.

Halberds work the same in both games. Its just an oversight. Some in BG2EE do say that they do either, though most of them don't.

Wizard Slayers do only give the chance of failure during melee attacks when it comes to BGEE. This will probably be fixed in patch 1.4. Whenever that is released.

What specific spells are you referring to?
    JuliusBorisov
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    edited April 2015
    elminster said:

BGEE has been the longest without an update.

Halberds work the same in both games. Its just an oversight. Some in BG2EE do say that they do either, though most of them don't.

Wizard Slayers do only give the chance of failure during melee attacks when it comes to BGEE. This will probably be fixed in patch 1.4. Whenever that is released.

What specific spells are you referring to?

But Halberd seems to do both piercing and slashing in BG2EE despite the description saying otherwise. I just checked with DLTCEP. HALB01(default halberd item) has "7-Piercing or Slash (more)" damage type, and it makes sense because it was a fix introduced in BGEE. Vanilla halberd did only piercing damage. I checked Halberd +1 and Halberd dragon bane magic item. They too have the same damage type property.

Are you sure Harberd only does piercing damage in BG2EE?
    edited April 2015

They do both. Some halberds in BG2EE say they do both slashing and piercing damage (Halberd +2), though most of them don't say that.
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    edited April 2015
    elminster said:

They do both. Some halberds in BG2EE say they do both slashing and piercing damage (Halberd +2), though most of them don't say that.
    Oh, my bad. I misread 'either' as 'both' in your last reply. Thanks!

As to spells I don't recall which one, but there were some arcane/priest spells with mismatched description/spell effects. If I come across it again I will post here.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I'd like to mention that Wizard Slayer's Miscast ability works on both melee and missile attacks in BGEE ( @elminster ). Just as it does in BG2EE.

So if the description in BGEE says otherwise, it's just the wrong description.

For those who didn't follow the patch process, I can remind that the WS's special ability first started to work on missile attacks during the beta to the v. 1.3.2053 patch for BGEE. Then when the patch was released, it was working in the final version, although didn't get any notice in the patch notes.

The 1.3 patch for BG2EE was developed later and it included this fix as well.

The useful discussion about Wizard Slayers in both BGEE and BG2EE is here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/37885/wizard-slayer-do-i-have-this-right
    IntoTheDarkness
    bengoshi said:

I'd like to mention that Wizard Slayer's Miscast ability works on both melee and missile attacks in BGEE ( @elminster ). Just as it does in BG2EE.

Yea you are right.