Skip to content

Creating a D&D style cleric in The Elder Scrolls (Specifically Morrowind)

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
edited April 2015 in Off-Topic
So while I won't be playing Morrowind for a while I'm trying to go ahead and plan out a character. I want to make a D&D style Cleric and so I'll probably use The Ritual sign for Turn Undead and focus on heavy armor, blunt weapons, restoration, and conjuration. This will be my first run of Morrowind when I do it. Any tips on what skills I should use?

Also, while I've played Arena and Oblivion a lot and Skyrim for a little I'm not sure how deities work in The Elder Scrolls. Is there a Death deity my Cleric could worship?

Edit: also, should I use any mods other than this super cool graphics mod I found to help my RP experience?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited April 2015
    Vallmyr said:

So while I won't be playing Morrowind for a while I'm trying to go ahead and plan out a character. I want to make a D&D style Cleric and so I'll probably use The Ritual sign for Turn Undead and focus on heavy armor, blunt weapons, restoration, and conjuration. This will be my first run of Morrowind when I do it. Any tips on what skills I should use?

If you want you can create a custom class at character creation, featuring 5 major and minor skills each, as well as two main attributes. For a "Cleric" like-class, I'd recommend the following line-up:

Attributes: Endurance, Willpower

Major Skills:
    - either Heavy Armor or Medium Armor
    - Restoration
    - Mysticism
    - Conjuration
    - Blunt Weapons

Minor Skills:
    - Block
    - Alteration
    - Speechcraft
    - Illusion
    - either Alchemy or Athletics
    Vallmyr said:

Also, while I've played Arena and Oblivion a lot and Skyrim for a little I'm not sure how deities work in The Elder Scrolls. Is there a Death deity my Cleric could worship?

Arkay, god of burials and funeral rites, is a solid choice for necromancy hating Undead Hunters.

Meridia is also a solid choice for clerics with a burning hatred for the walking dead.

Then there's Mannimarco, the King of Worms. True, he isn't a deity per se. But being an immortal Altmer Lich makes him pretty close to Velsharoon.
    Vallmyr said:

Edit: also, should I use any mods other than this super cool graphics mod I found to help my RP experience?

Have a look around nexus' Morrowind section and http://mw.modhistory.com. There are many hidden gems there.

One of my personal favourites are MacKom's redone mod series. Basically he remodeled and retextured the heads of Nords, Dunmer, Imperials, Redguards, Bretons, Orismer, Altmer, and even created a fancy Maormer custom race of the same high quality.

Another outstanding graphic mod is ashiraniir's Pluginless Khajiit Head Pack that adds whiskers to the Khajiit, amongst other things.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    ^Ohh, and that brings back the memories....
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    edited April 2015
    Ohhh thanks! I might change a skill or two but I think I'll definitely use most of that! Thinking of trading Alchemy/Athletics to Enchant.

Also, going to read up more on Mannimarco if he's anything like Vlesharoon. I loooveee Velsharoon.

Thanks again! n_n

Edit: Currently the only mod I'm using is Morrowind Overhaul for better graphics/sound btw, looking into more graphical mods and such now~
    Post edited by Vallmyr on
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    It's been a few years since I have played Morrowind but agree 100% with what @kamigoroshi said. I would stick with Heavy over Medium armor though. IIRC the best heavy armor (Daedric) is much much better than any medium armor you can find. It is extremely heavy though so you need to plan for that.
    Being able to enchant Feather on the armor helps a lot though.

Wow this is bringing back memories...I might need to fire up Morrowind here soon.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Anti cliffracer mod (belt, auto kill etc) would help greatly, methinks.
    But the reason I could not beat morrowind was skill level up system, I heard there is a mod that can fix annoying skill system :)
    Cleric in morrowind, interesting.
    /blinks
    I have no idea what a cliffracer is nor do I know the skill system of the game. I assume it's "Use the skill over and over to level."

Or is it different?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The Cliffracer is without a doubt the loviest creature in Morrowind. Similar in appearance to an reptilian Arrowhawk from D&D, it hunts in flocks that can grow infinitive if you don't slaughter them asap.
    One thing I do know is doesn't the game function on like a D&D type AC system? Like not all your attacks "hit" even if like your weapon physically touches them?
    Also, in every Elder Scrolls game I've always played a rogue-ish sneaky character. It's actually the only game where I like playing rogue-types as my main character. I want to try playing a Cleric though since the Cleric is tied with Wizard and Cleric/Wizard as my favorite classes in D&D. It's going to be so weird getting used to not sneaking around XD

I think I might carry a bow and sneak ranged attack to start fights and then just mace and shield it with summons once the fight begins if that works as a strategy.
    Hmmmm found some cool necromancy mods that allow you to animate corpses as opposed to summoning them. I think that mod and this other cool Lich mod will be the two I gameplay mods I install. I want to experience the game as vanilla as possible but playing as a Lich is too cool to pass up >_>