Skip to content

Saved Games Don't Show Number of Days and other questions

HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
edited April 2015 in Troubleshooting
Hi all,

I've recently started a run of multiplayer BG2:EE, but I've noticed a couple of things which are slightly inconvenient.

When I try to load a saved game, it doesn't show the number of days, only the chapter and number of hours. Anyone else getting this, and is it intentional? It's a bit inconvenient because I can't tell where in time each save is. I've attached a screenshot.

I've also noticed that the sound effects for certain spells like entangle, web, and cloudkill are incredibly loud, while others fine (meaning it would cause the reverse problem if the sound effects volume was reduced). Anyone know a workaround to that?

(edited: moved to troubleshooting as I'm thinking this might be a technical issue)
Post edited by HeroicSpur on

Comments

• HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    I have done some further investigation and it seems new games (single or multi) don't have this problem. The present game (characters) is/are imported from a final save in BG1:EE (I had the same problem in that game). The issue is therefore confined to my present save.

@Troodon80 I am reliably informed by @Cuv that you are a resident expert on these matters. Do you think anything can be done?
    Could this thread be closed pleased, I found the problem, apparently there was an issue with the main character, just saving onto a new slot, then resting for a day fixed it.
    edited April 2015
    Actually scratch that last comment, the issue isn't fixed, it might be a bit more serious in fact. I've found that everytime I load a multiplayer game, it resets the time counter.

So for example if I played for 5 days 8 hours and saved it in Chapter 2, that would show in the save game description (Chapter 2 Day 5 Hour 8). If I then loaded that game and played for 8 hours, it would say Chapter 2 Hour 8.

Edited: clarification.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

I have done some further investigation and it seems new games (single or multi) don't have this problem. The present game (characters) is/are imported from a final save in BG1:EE (I had the same problem in that game). The issue is therefore confined to my present save.

Troodon80 I am reliably informed by Cuv that you are a resident expert on these matters. Do you think anything can be done?

I wouldn't say expert. :-)

Can something be done with your current save game? Yes and no, unfortunately. You can edit it with EE Keeper, Near Infinity, or DLTCEP, but as soon as you reload the game it'll be back to square one. The time will get reset.

It appears that when you reload the game, the join time for at least the protagonist is increased to the current time. Current time - current time = 0. Advance a thousand ticks or so as you might spend a couple minutes in-game before saving again, and your time will be anywhere between 1-6 hours.

I have reported this as #12489.

Thankfully, it is only cosmetic; time in the journal and in-game clock are normal.
    @Troodon80, yep it is largely cosmetic -- although when loading it can make it very difficult to distinguish save games, as the time stamp is worthless. It's doubly inconvenient in multiplayer where loading involves all the arbitration kuffufle.
    Also, have you any idea what's causing this?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @HeroicSpur,

Also, have you any idea what's causing this?

Troodon80 said:

It appears that when you reload the game, the join time for at least the protagonist (I haven't checked any further than that) is increased to the current time. Current time - current time = 0. Advance a thousand ticks or so as you might spend a couple minutes in-game before saving again, and your time will be anywhere between 1-6 hours.

The calculation subtracts the join time for the protagonist to get the zero hour.

In single player, you might note that the time in-game starts on 6-7 hours. When you go to save the game (in single player) the time will start at 0 and increase thereafter. The in-game clock and the journal date doesn't have that time subtracted. In single player, this always seems to be 27000.