Skip to content

Game randomly quits to main menu or to Android desktop sometimes

DanterDanter Member Posts: 45
Game runs smoothly and perfectly except that it will sometimes randomly quit for no reason at all. I haven't been able to find anything about it online. Could someone help me fix it please? Pretty please?

Comments

• DanterDanter Member Posts: 45
    edited April 2015
    I should probably have said I'm running Kit Kat 4.2.2 and my model is a y88X Dragon Touch. The crashes just seem to happen very randomly but often enough that it make gameplay difficult to enjoy.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Hi @Danter I don't think there is a specific answer. You haven't said which game, I think there were issues spotted on IWD:EE e.g. a sequence of quick or auto saves when Avast security was installed. I haven't searched for the support ticket but if you have any security software you could try disabling it to see if there is a difference.
    Sorry, the game is Baldur's Gate EE and I don't have any security software.
    OK. Could you advise approximately how long between crashes and whether the game is constantly active at this time or if you switch to other apps (browser etc.) so the game is briefly minimised during play.

We'd need to try and identify a cause as this can help determine if it is device/chipset specific. If you do spot anything like it happening when specific creatures, sounds, areas, spells, cutscenes, day-night transitions, clicking on Boo, areas with water, and so on that would help narrow it down.

Have you tried shutting the device down and restarting it - might be worth trying if you don't regularly restart as there were a few people reporting issues that cleared when rebooted.
    Thanks
    Well it's anywhere from five to fifteen minutes between crashes. And I don't run any programs in the background. I use App killer to shut down any other apps before running Baldur's Gate. The crashes seem to happen the most when I'm moving my character or tapping the screen. I can't really tell which it is because it just seems to happen randomly. I'll try rebooting the next time it happens and then starting up again. I'll post back here with the results and see what happens. I don't reboot my tablet too often as it's Wifi only and usually stays plugged in at my home.
    Yeah, same. I'd get crashes on my Nexus 7 but usually only after a couple of hours or so.

Might also be worth disabling your character response sounds as the'd trigger if moving characters? Sorry to have a scattergun approach but trying to think through potential causes.
    Tried shutting down and startig up again. It ran for a while and crashed when I was moving into Bergost. So I shut down and started up again, fought Silke and killed her and went to save and it crashed again while I was saving, my save file is probably gone now but oh well. It was about fifteen minutes as usual. I can see no pattern in the crashes. They just happen at random whenever they feel like it seems.
    I'll give shutting off character responses a try.
    Well I tried turning responses off, played for about fifteen minutes and it still crashed. I have no idea why it is doing this.
    Any other ideas?
    I'm struggling. If you are quicksaving could you try saving to named saves instead (say 2 or 3 of them and alternate between them each time). If you had security software I'd be more confident it would help but worth trying.
    I've been using named saves but only one per game. I'll try using more than one now. I know you are trying your best and I thank you. Android isn't really like PC where you can move some files around and fix things easily. So I understand that this is difficult to troubleshoot. But I do appreciate it. If nothing comes of this I am going to just save up for a new tablet in the future. But I am hoping to get to play the games on my current one if I can.
    Well, I haven't gotten a chance to test it out yet because I had to step away. But I left the game open on pause and it's been way over 15 minutes. The game was still open and running when I came back home. So I'm sure it's something I'm doing as I play that's causing it to crash. I don't remember where but I came across a thread a few days ago that suggested that tablets with lower GPU memory would have trouble with pathfinding overflow and it would cause the game to crash when it ran out of memory. I don't know if that is what is happening to mine. I don't think so because mine crashes even when I'm not moving around. But perhaps that is what is happening here. At any rate the general consensus was that there was nothing that could be done for it. :(
    Any more ideas? Or do you think we have done them all? It's okay if we have I'm saving up for an Nvvidia Shield. Just wanting to know what my options are. I can play for very short burst but I'm pretty sure that won't work so well later in the game. And we know the game will run indefinatly as long as it's paused and I'm not actually doing anything.
    It sounds like new tablet territory from what we've covered, although worth trying again if there are any game updates before that point.
    Alright. Thanks for the help. I thin I'm going to just end up buying the PC versions of BG EE and BG 2 EE till I get a better tablet. I may as well.
    Gate70JuliusBorisov